All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Peppermint/almond cake
      #64693 - 04/26/04 06:34 AM
kshsmom

Reged: 11/20/03

I made this cake and LOVED it in peppermint -- but my hubby wasn't crazy about it -- so I decided to try it with the almond. It kind of had a cherry flavor and smell. I took it to a church function and they felt the same way. My husband even said it reminded him of cherry cough medicine -- not exactly what I was going for. I didn't think it was that bad -- but it did have kind of a strange flavor to it. Did I maybe get a bad batch of almond extract or is that what almond extract is like?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Peppermint/almond cake new
      #64761 - 04/26/04 09:45 AM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

One question: was it imitation or pure almond extract? Because I accidentally bought imitation once and used it in some muffins without noticing and they tasted HORRIBLE. They had a weird aftertaste. So that could definitely be a factor!

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

Re: Peppermint/almond cake new
      #64794 - 04/26/04 10:46 AM
kshsmom

Reged: 11/20/03

Hmmmm -- just checked and it is pure almond extract..... it smells just like chocolate covered cherries though. It's McCormick and losts water, alcohol (36%), and oil of bitter almond.

Maybe I just got a bad bottle -- or maybe I should just stick to peppermint!

That's the almond! new
      #64829 - 04/26/04 12:34 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

It does taste a bit like cherries, which makes it really good to use with real cherries, like in the Cherry Almond Cake.

For the fudge cake, you could use any flavor extract you like if you don't want mint or almond. Try coffee, or orange, or rum, or add some ground cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg instead of the extracts.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: That's the almond! new
      #64858 - 04/26/04 02:15 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Vanilla extract works great also.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 466 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1072

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review