All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Can I convert this into a Safe Food?
      #295065 - 01/02/07 02:02 PM
DisneyLover

Reged: 01/02/07
Loc: Florida

Hi all...new to the site and boards, and trying to relaearn how to eat...lol.

I have a recipe that I adore, and it is actually pretty easy on my tummy issues, unless I eat too much.

Wondering if anyone has suggestions how to make it a safe food, to work with this new diet.

Shepard's Pie

Ingredients:
1 lb hamburger meat
1 can of corn
Instant mashed potatoes
Velveeta

Basically, without too many directions, I brown the hamburger, drain. Cook mashed potatoes. Open can of corn. Layer hamburger on bottom of 9x11 pan, then unheat ed corn, then mashed pots. Thin slices of Velveeta on top, in over for about 10 minutes, till cheese melts.

Please help!!! I adore this, and it is great comfort food, but just heavy if you eat too much.

Thanks,
Wendy

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Can I convert this into a Safe Food? new
      #295069 - 01/02/07 03:03 PM
raksasi

Reged: 11/10/06
Loc: Concord, NH

Hmm. I can't quite get there.

I'd try subbing ground turkey for the beef (if you add a little red wine while browning, it has a richer flavor, more like beef. I've done that for chili), and make sure you have "original" flavor instant pototoes (or make real mashed potatoes -- almost all the flavored ones contain milk products). The Velveeta is going to be the hardest to replace. You could try some of the rice or soy cheeses, or try subbing a breadcrumb or crushed cracker and seasonings topping, mixed with a bit of olive oil or canola oil. That might work. Won't be the same, but maybe you'll like it better eventually? Good luck!

--------------------
IBS-C, D and nausea with acute attacks, stable on EFI for 3 years

Hmm... sort of... new
      #295070 - 01/02/07 03:07 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

The meat part is easy - use ground turkey instead of ground beef.

The corn will be ok, but you might want to be careful at first - if you're following the diet, and you haven't added much in the way of insoluble fiber foods back into your diet yet, corn can be pretty harsh. But it's not a no-no, so if you find you can handle it, keep on eating it!

The mashed potatoes? Also easy. Prepare them according to the box directions, but omit the butter, and use soy milk or rice milk instead of regular milk.

The problem is the Velveeta. There's really no GOOD safe substitute for that melty kind of cheese. There are soy cheeses, but you'll have to experiment with those to see if you can find one that doesn't offend your taste buds - I've never been able to, but there are a lot of people here on the boards who swear by their soy cheese, so you never know!

Personally, I would probably make it without the cheese. The Shepherd's Pie that I make is actually REALLY similar.

1 or 2 onions, sliced
1 lb or so of ground turkey
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 can corn
1 can mushrooms
Instant mashed potatoes, prepared, seasoned with thyme, salt, and pepper

I saute onions - LOTS of them - till they're caramelized and brown, then throw in about 1/3 cup of water to quickly deglaze the pan and make an oniony broth. I stir that mixture into ground turkey that's been browned and drained, season with a little Worcestershire sauce (a teaspoon or so helps the turkey taste like beef) then put the meat mixture into a dish. I top it with a can of corn, drained, and a can of mushrooms, drained, and then the mashed potatoes, which have been seasoned with thyme and plenty of salt and pepper. Sprinkle the whole thing with paprika and bake till hot. Yum.

I found a melty cheese!!!!!!! new
      #295085 - 01/02/07 05:30 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

It tastes like a cheesy bean dip kind of thing. Very tasty in my opinion.

https://secure19.nexternal.com/shared/StoreFront/default.asp?CS=vegane&BusType=BtoC&Count1=362590968&Count2=279731392

Click on "Foods, Sweets, and Beverages" and then "Cheese Alternatives". Scroll down to and click on "Nacho Chreese Dip by Road's End Organics". Yes, that is supposed to say Chreese w/ an "r". This might work for your recipe.

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

Chreese! new
      #295103 - 01/02/07 07:17 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I've heard of that! I think I remember seeing that at the health food store... if I can find it, I'll have to try it. That's the only one I never tried. Figures! LOL

Re: Chreese! new
      #295107 - 01/02/07 08:16 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

I was pleasantly surprised with it. They have a spicy and a mild. Of course, nothing is exactly like real cheese, though.

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 162 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2032

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review