All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
just wondering
      #272206 - 07/02/06 07:13 PM
chely24

Reged: 02/22/06
Loc: ohio

are all the recipes on this board low calorie and good for weight loss? besides being good for our ibs... i dont get the chance to look at it very often

--------------------
http://www.myspace.com/rachelle423

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Nope, definitely not new
      #272213 - 07/02/06 07:56 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

They're all healthy recipes in terms of safe ingredients and safe amounts of fat, unless otherwise noted, but most of them are NOT low-calorie. If you're going to use these recipes while losing weight, you'll definitely have to calculate calories yourself and REALLY restrict how much of things you eat, especially the sweet stuff!

Re: Nope, definitely not new
      #272230 - 07/02/06 10:32 PM
lissylou73

Reged: 06/20/06
Loc: West Virginia (IBS G&P)

Just curious...what makes the recipes so high in calories? Most of the dishes do not have meat or dairy, which should keep the calories down, right. Maybe it's just my imagination, but I feel like I've lost a little weight since starting this diet.

--------------------
"There are two means of refuge from the misery of life - music and cats."
Albert Schweitzer

#272232 - 07/02/06 10:42 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Well, depending on what recipes you're looking for... obviously, even safe sweets, quickbreads, muffins, and other baked things like that are going to contain plenty of sugar. And I really, REALLY hate saying this, because I know people are going to misconstrue it somehow, but generally speaking, pasta, rice, potatoes, and bread are high in calories when you don't watch portion sizes. (For example, a "serving" of pasta is 1 cup... if you measure that out, it's a very small amount compared to what most people are used to eating.)

**I am by no means saying that eating SF/carb/starchy foods are going to make you gain - or NOT lose - weight.** You just have to watch how much you eat, in general. The only way to lose weight is to burn more calories than you consume. Period.

I'm not surprised that you lost some weight on this diet, depending on how you were eating before. When I first went on a low-fat high-carb diet, years ago, I lost 60lbs very quickly! It was such a drastic change from how I ate before.

Anyway, hope that clarifies a little.

#272256 - 07/03/06 05:34 AM
lissylou73

Reged: 06/20/06
Loc: West Virginia (IBS G&P)

Thanks Casey! No worries! I remember back in the day when I was on Weight Watchers...it was more points for pasta than a piece of grilled chicken. I always thought that was weird because pasta doesn't have hardly any fat Anyway, all of the foods Heather recommends are foods that I love. So I think I have been able to watch my portions because I don't feel deprived. Portion control is key to any diet anyway!

--------------------
"There are two means of refuge from the misery of life - music and cats."
Albert Schweitzer

#272260 - 07/03/06 06:55 AM
chely24

Reged: 02/22/06
Loc: ohio

thanks for the answer! so as long as we eat these foods in small portions, we should be ok? im trying to expand my options for meals lol.. and i really need to lose weight so im havng a hard time thinking of different meals to make

--------------------
http://www.myspace.com/rachelle423

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 80 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1656

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review