All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Enova oil?
      #180242 - 05/20/05 04:41 AM
M_J

Reged: 04/20/04

there is a new product in our store (US) Enova. The first ingredient is Diacylglycerol Oil made from Soybean Oil and Canola, plus other stuff... Has anyone tried this, and is plain Canola and Olive oil generally considered the safest for D? (none would probably be best)

thanks!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Enova oil? new
      #180276 - 05/20/05 06:58 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I hadn't heard of Enova, but I checked their HomePage and it looks like Diacylglycerol Oil is chemically reconfigured oil. It's made by either changing the structure of or extracting part of naturally occuring oils. (I'm a little vague on just which.) They claim the body handles Diacylglycerol Oil differently from naturally occuring fats, but with no digestive side-effects. I don't know how my cranky gut would react to this, but I'm leery of an oil I can't pronounce. (BTW, I thought their answer to the FAQ about Enova and diabetes was really strange.)

I'm IBS-D and I use olive oil and canola oil all the time for cooking, baking, and even (don't tell) very occasionally for salad dressing. My experience is that they are the fats I tolerate the best by far and as long as I don't go overboard with them, I have no problems.

I believe our bodies need some oil to function properly, so I don't think no oil would be a good idea for anyone. As I understand it, Heather recommends getting no more than 25% of calories from fat, but definitely does not recommend cutting fat out entirely.

HTH.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Hear, hear, Sand! new
      #180280 - 05/20/05 07:13 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Natural is generally best for IBS...I'm leering of anything that's been chemically made or reconfigured. And almost all low-fat/cal stuff is bad for IBS.

Vegetable oil is a healthy source of the fat you NEED to consume. It's only HIGH-fat foods that are an IBS trigger...a NO-fat diet is unhealthy. But it's a good idea to make sure the fats you do get are the healthiest ones, so polyunsaturated fats, omega oils, etc.

I admit it - I actually tried this stuff new
      #180738 - 05/23/05 07:53 AM
kshsmom

Reged: 11/20/03

I didn't actually get an attack from it -- but my tummy did get upset - gurgly and crampy. I thought it might be something else -- or coincidence -- so I tried it again -- same result. I am stable with no attacks -- so I decided it wasn't worth it. Who knows -- if I used too much or had too many servings too close together -- I might end up really sick. It's not worth saving a few calories.

Re: Enova oil? new
      #182679 - 06/01/05 05:01 PM
jea97

Reged: 05/30/05
Loc: Lindenwold, NJ USA

I use it and have no problems at all. IBS-D sufferer.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 186 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1564

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review