All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
What would you do? Long post!!!
      #98727 - 08/16/04 03:35 PM
ChristineM

Reged: 05/31/04
Loc: soCal

Okay, I have the SIL (husband's brother's wife) from hell. It's so hard to try to capture her without going into detail, but I'll try: cusses constantly in front of anyone, including her 5-year-old son; has no problem with "riding the system" (collecting welfare or whatever to avoid working); feels entitled to my FIL's money (she and my BIL regularly use his gas card despite the fact that they live independently); uses son as weapon (didn't let us see him for his bday last year because we didn't call on the actual day, had him tell his dad to "go to hell" because she was mad at my BIL)... The list goes on and on. Basically, she doesn't share our values and is so angry at the world that you never know what she will do. My BIL, on the other hand, is a nice guy but totally weak. The SIL runs the show.

There are many years worth of history I'm skipping, but here's the latest. She called last week to invite us for cake and ice cream for our nephew's birthday. This led us into a long discussion because she had chosen not to invite my FIL's girlfriend (MIL passed away about two years ago). We seriously talked for a good hour in a conversation that was basically an exchange of points of view. We agreed on little, but I tried to understand her perspective, and I tried to present the perspective held by myself, my husband, my FIL, my husband's aunt, my husband's grandma, etc. The conversation was in no way hostile or confrontational, and we ended the call on good terms. Two days later, my BIL called that the cake and ice cream had been cancelled because too many people were unavailable. We made plans for them to come here on Sunday (yesterday) instead. They never showed and never called.

This morning, when I opened my email, there was an email from her basically saying she does not want any more contact with us because it will "make things easier" and made reference to my saying she "makes it harder to be around." Now, I did not say that. The closest thing I can recall is that she was saying we make no effort to see our nephew, and I said that the state of the relatinship makes things harder. I said that she was right and that we should see him more, anyway, but that was why we don't.

I already sent an email saying I'm sorry if I said something that hurt her feelings and that that was never my intention. I also said I will respect her wishes (she said not to contact her) but that I hope she will change her mind and contact me.

I'm sure you are reading this and thinking things could not possibly be as one-sided as I portray them. All I can tell you is that this girl just comes from a completely different world and has different ideas about what is acceptable and unacceptable. She feels uncomfortable around us because we don't think it's okay to swear in front of your kid, call your husband an a$$hole, etc. She comes from a home where mom had four kids by three dads, and to her that is normal and okay.

I wouldn't care about not having contact with her if it weren't for our nephew and my husband's brother. Hubby and brother are not particularly close, and hubby is very frustrated with his brother's choices in life (having a kid early, barely graduating high school, no college/real career, marrying SIL, mooching off father...).

I guess my question is, how hard am I supposed to try to maintain these relationships? And what do I do now?

Thanks for listening.

--------------------
Christine

Those who can do; those who want it done better teach.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: What would you do? Long post!!! new
      #98737 - 08/16/04 04:09 PM
torbetta

Reged: 01/24/03
Loc: New York

I have no idea but it sounds like she is pig headed and there isn't too much you can do. The email was a good way to start a dialogue. It's in her ballpark now.

#98740 - 08/16/04 04:19 PM
crampgirl

Reged: 02/23/04

I think the ball is in her court now also. Let it ride for a while & see if she comes around. I also have a SIL from hell & can relate. She is nothing but a trouble maker. Everytime I see Marie Barone on Raymond I think of her.

#98756 - 08/16/04 05:09 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

She sounds like she's from a different galaxy altogether. Anyway, I just want to third what everyone else has said: the ball is in her court now. You did the right thing by emailing to try to smooth things over, but honestly, I wouldn't invest any more energy in it than that. Since it's your husband's brother, what's his perspective on the situation? (You don't even have to answer that... what I'm getting at is that if the two of them aren't especially close and he's not incredibly upset about it, I wouldn't worry about investing any more energy into the situation, at least until she comes around on her own. Know what I mean? Or did I totally talk in circles with that one? Heh.)

Been there, done that... new
      #98766 - 08/16/04 05:47 PM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

OMG, Christine. I have been through something like this before, too.

I loved my SIL but not hubby's brother...he was arrogant & selfish (a OBGYN & thought he knew everything). Also, hubby's dad was re-married to someone that none of us liked. Hubby was never really close to his dad or brother. BUT.....I insisted they were family and we needed to go visit. Things usually did not go too well and I was always upset. If I had known what I know now I would have just let things ride. If hubby didn't care and they were his family then why did I feel like I had to be involved??? It was causing me major stress !!! BTW, hubby's dad & brother are now both deceased.

Anyway, I think you made the effort and now just let what happens happen. Let her make the next move. If you want contact with your nephew, maybe you could send him greeting cards with pictures, etc.

Take it from someone who has been there....it's not up to you to maintain these relationships.

Barbie

PS: My SIL is now remarried to a really neat guy and we are still very good friends! After his dad's death we have never seen his step-MIL again!

--------------------

#98771 - 08/16/04 06:16 PM
heather7476

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: South East Michigan

Well my goodness. She sounds like a big time drama queen. Some people have to have conflict and drama in thier lives or they are not happy. You sent the E mail and need to let it go now. My sil is my best friend but we sill have are problems. (She thinks all my tummy problems are in my head and I am doing this to myself). I have learned in the past to think like this is this person in any way making my life better or happier? Is this person worth letting my self get stessed or upset? If the ansewer is no then let it go. Family can be a blessing and a pain. Don't know if that helped or not. Good luck hon!!!
God Bless
Heather7476

--------------------
Heather7476

#98773 - 08/16/04 06:31 PM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

I completely understand. My husband's brother is dating this horrendous girl that won't come have dinner with me for long and complicated reasons that have nothing to do with me (she's never met me). They're living together now and I'm terrified he's going to marry her because I can only imagine the drama. I miss my little brother-in-law but there's nothing I can do about it.

Hang in there... if she doesn't understand or appreciate you all, there's not much you can do until your brother-in-law tires of the situation and fixes it.

#98777 - 08/16/04 06:39 PM
maryward

Reged: 08/16/04

Christine:

I'm no help and new here, but I like your signature about teaching! I teach for a living, not kids, but adults at a rehabilitation center.

This person sounds very troubled, but there's probably not all that much you can do to help her. She'll have to work it out herself and decide that it doesn't help to just keep blaming everybody else.

Thank you so much, everyone! new
      #98782 - 08/16/04 07:06 PM
ChristineM

Reged: 05/31/04
Loc: soCal

This has been gnawing at me all day, and I feel much better now!

By the way, for those who wondered, hubby did try to call his brother, but his cell phone has been disconnected. That leaves the ball completely in their court. My husband is fine with it, so I will stop trying to fix things!

--------------------
Christine

Those who can do; those who want it done better teach.

Re: Thank you so much, everyone! new
      #98852 - 08/17/04 08:55 AM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Good for you, Christine! You've cleaned up your side of the street. The rest is up to her. She is what we used to call "neurotic"!! My shrink says the new term for it is "borderline personality disorder." So she's sick and can't help her behavior. That doesn't excuse her behavior, just explains it.

Aren't families wonderful??!! NOT!!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2218 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1561

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review