All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
New to all this...
      #98604 - 08/16/04 08:18 AM
Aly

Reged: 08/16/04
Loc: Columbus, Ohio

Hi there. I'm new to all of this, but really am in need of a support system about IBS. I've suffered for peobably 6 years now (I'm 21) and have done every test in the world. Nothing has helped at all...I never could make myself do the fiber on a day to day basis because starting it would make me so much worse. I'm a really busy person studying music & theatre in college...I don't get a day to be sick. I think I've gotten to the point now where the fear of being sick is taking over my every thought. I just started the fiber back up recently, but got a bad spell from it...I'm trying my best to keep it up anyway, but knowing it will only help and note cure is tough...any suggestions on how to slowly over come all of these worries? It's been rough...I don't want to worry about all of this anymore

--------------------
IBS-A

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: New to all this... new
      #98627 - 08/16/04 09:32 AM
ChristineM

Reged: 05/31/04
Loc: soCal

Welcome, Aly!

First of all, I can honestly say the fiber has made a huge difference for me. The key, though, is to start slowly! I started at one gram of soluble fiber supplement per day, and now I'm pretty stable at nine grams. (I'm an IBS-D.)

Second, sounds like you have a lot of anxiety about your IBS. If you can afford it, think about getting the self-hypnosis program. It has had a positive effect for a lot of people.

Next time you post, if it's about IBS, put it in the IBS Diet forum, okay? We tend to discuss all things IBS over there, whereas the Living Room is mostly just chitchat unrelated to IBS.

Keep coming back, and feel better soon!

--------------------
Christine

Those who can do; those who want it done better teach.

#98628 - 08/16/04 09:42 AM
StephS

Reged: 09/11/03

Hi there Aly,

Welcome to the boards. I hope that you will find some info on here that will help you. I sure did. I know that if I follow the diet I feel lots better. If I mess up....then I pay the price.

What fiber supplement are you taking? Some are harder to take than others. I like citrucel. I take the pills. I also like the powder as long as it's not sugar free.

Do look around the site, you'll find tons of great info. If you post this on the Diet board you will get a better response. Some people don't even check over here in the living room!!

Also check out the recipe board, there is lots of good and easy recipes to make!!!

Again, welcome to the boards!!!

--------------------

#98642 - 08/16/04 10:49 AM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

Welcome to the boards Aly, you've come to the right place!

I have to tell you, I don't know how I EVER lived without my fiber.... don't dare put a thing in my mouth before I have it either.

Best of luck to you.... keep us posted and if you have any quesitons at all, just ask away...someone is bound to reply

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

Welcome, Aly new
      #98648 - 08/16/04 11:07 AM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

Hi Aly,

You have found a great place for advice and support for IBS. Everyone here is so helpful and you can ask any question you want and usually someone will have an answer.

Personally, I found that medication helped me. I am on Librax to relax me and relax my stomach. It does seem to help. My IBS is mainly triggered by stress and some trigger foods.

I would suggest stopping the fiber for a few days and see if that helps. Some people, including me, have a hard time adjusting to the fiber supplements or have to find one that agrees with them.

Are you on the safe foods diet? Keeping a food diary is also a good idea. Always read labels to see what is in stuff. Stay away from sorbitol that's in some vitamins, gum & mints. I don't know if you have "D" but Imodium is good for that. Some people on the boards use the self-hypnosis tapes and say they really help. I have not done that yet.

Anyway, you have found a great support group here.

Barbie

--------------------

#98666 - 08/16/04 12:03 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Aly, welcome! You're in the right place. This is the BEST website I've ever found. I agree with everyone's comments, but wanted to add a suggestion to try increasing your soluble fiber food and decreasing your trigger foods before trying to add the fiber supplement. You'll find a list of each in the main website.

Good luck, keep coming back, and feel free to post about anything and everything.

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#98729 - 08/16/04 03:39 PM
crampgirl

Reged: 02/23/04

Welcome to the board. Ditto on what everyone else said. One thing I'd like to add is to get Heather's book The First Year and it will tell you tons of things to help.

#98754 - 08/16/04 04:58 PM
Aly

Reged: 08/16/04
Loc: Columbus, Ohio

This goes out to everyone who has posted to me--thanks so much for all of the support. I am doing allright today, and I think hald of it is because I know there are people that understand how much this really sucks. That pain that comes on when I get a bad spell is unreal. That's what my fear is all based on! I don't want that!! Anyway, yes- the fiber I'm trying is Benefiber. I'm going to give it a bit longer, as I do believe I need to give it a good few weeks to kick in. Also, I'm meeting with my doctor next week. I hope that will help. My diet has become very safe & thanks to Heather's books, I've realized I can actually eat something other than a piece of chicken...lol. Thanks to you all...I appreciate it all!

--------------------
IBS-A

#98810 - 08/17/04 02:28 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Hey there! Everyone's had great ideas as always, but I'm gonna butt in!

Are you IBS-D? If you're that, or IBS-A, then I'd REALLY recommend Acacia. It's Sooooooo much more gentle than what I was on before. SFSs really, really help, it is defintely worth it. And yes, it can take a while for them to work (a few eeks with me). But please try. Even if you start off at a tiny dose and then work your way up.

And stick around here...everyone here is full of advice and support. This site and Heather helped me immeasurably.

Good luck!

PS. Are you male or female? (I'm well nosy as you're soon realise! )

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1192 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 695

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review