All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
I don't know what else to do
      #88792 - 07/11/04 04:27 PM
smileypie85

Reged: 06/07/04

My doctor and I decided that I had IBS-C about two years ago. Recently I've been doing more research on the condition and trying to find ways to make myself feel normal again. I've tried the special diets based on soluble fiber for at least a month, along with the fiber supplements. I've tried drinking plenty of apple juice, and even some yucky tasting prune juice. I've tried zelnorm and kristulose packets and nothing has had a slight effect. My problem is never feeling completely empty which leads to severe bloating and discomfort throughout the day. Has anyone had a similar experience or can suggest anything else. I'm only 19 and I feel like I'm wasting my life because of a problem i cannot control. I just want to be able to go out with my friends at any time of the day and not feel like i'll be suffering and uncomfortable the whole time.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: I don't know what else to do new
      #88800 - 07/11/04 04:48 PM
ibsgrl

Reged: 04/18/04
Loc: Canada

hey smileypie!
welcome! i am in the EXACT same boat and you with the EXACT same symptoms, and I am a couple of months away from being 19 as well. it really does suck a lot of the time, and like you, i am in search of something that will help me find relief. Zelnorm didn't work for me either

#88801 - 07/11/04 05:04 PM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Hello!
So sorry to hear you're having a rough time! I can sympathize with you, I'm 22 and feel the same way, I hate that I can't have any sort of "normal" life. I'm IBS-D, but I'll try and give you some advice that might help.

If you're following the IBS diet, make sure you're getting insolubles in your diet as well, because they're very important especially when you're C. Here's a link with some info regarding insoluble fiber: http://www.helpforibs.com/diet/fiber2.asp

I'm sure you've heard this time and time again, but be sure you're drinking tons of water...as much as you can, because that should help a little. And have you tried Fennel tea at all? It should help with the bloating and gas a little, but likely won't do anything to promote actually going to the bathroom.

One other thing I've heard sometimes works is something called Lactulose...my doc suggested it to me once (even though it's for C and I'm a D) but I've never tried it because I'm not C. Here's a link to some info on that: http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/medmaster/a682338.html

Hang in there...hopefully it'll get better soon!
Kelly

#88805 - 07/11/04 05:16 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Hi, smileypie and welcome! I'm so sorry you're having such a tough time, but so glad you found us here. I would suggest posting on the IBS Diet part of the board also, if you haven't already. That's where we talk about IBS. Here in the Living Room we just goof around!!

Also at the top of the list of posts in the IBS Diet board are several that I highly recommend reading. Feel free to ask us any questions you have. We'll do our best to answer them.

Please note that the gas and bloating is the symptom we've all found the hardest to manage, so you're not alone. As Kelly said, fennel tea seems to be the most helpful there. Also just want to make sure you're aware of over the counter products like Gas-X and Phazyme. And avoiding gas-producing foods or at least taking Bean-o with them.

Finally there are several poses on the yoga board that are recommended for easing gas and bloating.

Good luck, glad to have you aboard, sweetie!!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 624 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 402

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review