All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Pain Question
      #75364 - 06/01/04 08:11 PM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

Just a random question. Has anyone else here noticed that outside of IBS pain, they have nerves of steel? My attacks are so painful that I feel like nothing else even comes close. I mean, this is probably too much info (is that possible on these boards?) but I routinely wax my very own bikini area, and it doesn't even hurt. I mean, it hurts, but it's nothing compared to sitting in the ladies' room wishing I would die.
Does anyone else have abnormal pain tolerance outside IBS symptoms?

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Pain Question new
      #75371 - 06/01/04 08:48 PM
jilltrav

Reged: 05/25/04
Loc: Nashville, TN

Hi Amanda-
I have always had a very high pain tolerance. Which is why hubby has always freaked out when I cry from the pain. I have alway thought my pain was from endometriosis- which I also had. And when I had my hysterectemy last summer-we thought it was all over. Imagine the surprise when I started having what I thought was phantom left ovary pain. Bad enought to go to the ER. I dont cry- especially over pain- and this last ER visit was a doozy- I was in bad shape- and I wanted my damn ovary back.
So yeah- I do relate- pain tolerance is quite high. This stuff brings me to my knee's tho.

Jill

#75408 - 06/02/04 12:51 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

I'm actually the other way! Since I got IBS (but my Fibro's also got a lot worse since then, so that may be why) my pain threshold has plummeted! If I just knock my leg on my desk, it's agony for 10minutes!

#75420 - 06/02/04 05:03 AM
jenX

Reged: 08/11/03
Loc: Richmond, VA

hi, AP. i always had a high pain tolerance, 'til the fibro (which is when the IBS got bad).

couldn't wax my own anything, though, so it was maybe not as high as yours!

--------------------

#75434 - 06/02/04 06:21 AM
Cara4503

Reged: 03/20/04

Haha. I don't know why I found that funny - 'it's nothing compared to sitting in the bathroom wanting to die'. I guess because we all know what that feels like - and that's what I'm always saying, 'Someone please kill me!'
I am the same way. High pain tolerance. I have a few tatoos, and this is weird - but I actually thought it felt kinda good getting them done! One on my back hurt a little, but I'd tatoo my whole body if I didn't have to have another attack!
~Cara

--------------------
~Cara~

#75531 - 06/02/04 09:54 AM
bttrfly08

Reged: 05/06/04
Loc: Queens, NY

I totally understand where you are coming from. Again with the too much info...but...when i used to get cramps from my period, i would want to jump off a building the pain was so bad. Now, I feel like its nothing compared to other pain i've felt recently with IBS. I guess it makes us stronger...maybe i'll go for the bikini wax....ha ha

--------------------
Things happen for a reason...just believe

#75539 - 06/02/04 10:26 AM
tuxedocat

Reged: 02/09/04
Loc: Ithaca, NY

I've always had a very high pain threshold (went through college with chronic migraines, for crying out loud!). It just depends what kind of pain it is...for instance, lately, I've been achy all over, but I can pluck my eyebrows no problem, get banged on the head, or stubb my toe and I could care less. But ask me to walk a mile, forget about it!

--------------------
--Julie

Just like you Linz...... new
      #75547 - 06/02/04 10:39 AM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

Quote:

I'm actually the other way! Since I got IBS (but my Fibro's also got a lot worse since then, so that may be why) my pain threshold has plummeted! If I just knock my leg on my desk, it's agony for 10minutes!

Before IBS, high threshold..........now none. That's why I'm questioning if it isn't some fibro too.

Kandee

--------------------

#75551 - 06/02/04 10:41 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

What really did it for me wasn't the IBS, but a prolonged bout with gallstones. After that, I reasoned that ANYTHING was tolerable, haha. But yes, my pain tolerance does seem to be pretty high. I sat contentedly through 3 hours of tattoo work on what was supposedly a very painful area of the body to get work done on (chest), and was actually disappointed when it was finished, much to the shock of everyone around at the time.

I know it's not really funny but... new
      #75554 - 06/02/04 10:44 AM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Quote:

when i used to get cramps from my period, i would want to jump off a building the pain was so bad.

Did you know that one of the things women used to call getting their period was "falling off the roof." When my dad was young he heard someone say that and was real sympathetic and interested -- and then SO EMBARRASSED when the girl laughed at him!!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 227 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 728

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review