All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Monday's Fibro Ratings - JenX, Linzy, anyone else?
      #72856 - 05/24/04 08:46 AM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Fibro scale
10=doesn't get any better than this
9=can do everything
8=feeling pretty good
7=kinda sorta ok
6=tired but not achy & sick
5=base line functional, can do anything, but not everything
4=below minimal
3=pretty sick
2=if andy needed to be taken to er, i'd get up, but tough
1=if bldg was burning, I'd get up
0=kill me now

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

I'm a 5 at the moment, with a slight migraine hangover... new
      #72858 - 05/24/04 08:49 AM
LauraSue

which I hope won't come back today. Weather here is still nasty, hot and humid, which kills me, and I have to go out twice today, to my therapist at 2pm (hottest part of the day) and to a support group meeting at 7pm. Whine, whine, whine.

Yesterday's average was a 4 btw.

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Re: Monday's Fibro Ratings - JenX, Linzy, anyone else? new
      #72875 - 05/24/04 09:20 AM
LauraSue

bump

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

1. i'd get up, but probably puke. having the nausea today. -nt- new
      #72886 - 05/24/04 10:10 AM
jenX

Reged: 08/11/03
Loc: Richmond, VA

--------------------

Started out as an 8. Three hrs. later a 4.......ug....migraine city,,, new
      #72907 - 05/24/04 11:34 AM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

Don't know if it's fibro or not , but I'm JOINING your fibro club regardless, ok LS???? It might as well be with all the (*&^% symptoms I have.
Where does the nausea come from?????????? Is it IBS or fibro? I've been getting that, and then remembered that I'd been forgetting the ginger caps. (The "good" doc put me on them at the first sign of IBS.) I went back on them yesterday, 2 with every meal...........and you know what? No nausea!!! Yaaaahoo!!!! Now if I have to go back to bed with a cold pack on the head and heat on the back of neck and shoulders I'll be mad. I just took a codeine so hoping that will kick in. Sometimes it's to late.

Meantime, we're here having "pity parties" and Tara has a "SPA DAY"!!!! Love that girl (her mom too, as that is who must have raised her to be like that )........

Kandee

--------------------

Re: 1. i'd get up, but probably puke. having the nausea today. -nt- new
      #72916 - 05/24/04 12:17 PM
LauraSue

That's a 1 alright! Are you doing all the home remedies for nausea?? Ginger, saltines, peppermint? OTC rememdies like Dramamine or Pepto Bismol? Keep a little something in your stomach and move as little as possible? Feel better, honey, and love the dog with the fan!! Too cute!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Re: Started out as an 8. Three hrs. later a 4.......ug....migraine city,,, new
      #72921 - 05/24/04 12:20 PM
LauraSue

Kandee, of course you can join in and use the fibro ratings. 8 to start is wonderful, too bad about the migraine. Don't be mad if you have to go to bed with an icepack. Just pretend you're a elegant lady of leisure with the vapors!! Wear something long white and flowing with lace and read poetry. Or something!!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Ohmigosh, I think I'm a 6!!!! new
      #72923 - 05/24/04 12:29 PM
LauraSue

Just got back from my therapist. Mother Nature saved my butt with the weather -- the front came through early and it's like 72 and NOT muggy, so no weather stress. My back's not achy, my head still has a little migraine hangover feeling, and I'm not that tired either. Could this even be a 7??? Kinda sorta okay??? YESSSSSSSS!!!!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Re: Ohmigosh, I think I'm a 6!!!! YEAH LAURA SUE!!!!! new
      #72936 - 05/24/04 01:20 PM
Dimples

Reged: 04/01/04

Hi Laura Sue,

Just checking the posts and saw yours!!! Now you know I've been wishing you at least a 6 and hopefully an 8 for days!! Like they say, wishes do come true. I'm soooooo happy you're feeling better!! Yippee!!!

Pat

Re: Started out as an 8. Three hrs. later a 4.......ug....migraine city,,,(Oh No Kandee!!) new
      #72939 - 05/24/04 01:30 PM
Dimples

Hi Kandee,

I just finished posting Laura Sue and was so happy she was up to a 6!! then I looked at the posts checking to see how Jen is doing and see you're down to a 4!!

I'm going to start wishing for everyone to be at least a 6 and praying for a 10!!

You know my heart goes out to you, you sweet thing. Am waiting for the day you can tell me you're starting to feel like your old self again and of course I know you can't wait for that day. Now will go back and see how Jen is doing before I log off here!

Get some rest and please take it easy!!

Hugs,

Pat

Re: 1. i'd get up, but probably puke. having the nausea today. Hope You're feeling better Jen!! nt new
      #72941 - 05/24/04 01:37 PM
Dimples

#72984 - 05/24/04 04:10 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Fibro wise I'm okay (8/9? ) but I'm having night-shift symptoms: a tension headache that feels like it wants to grow up into a migraine, nausea and reflux (why do I get this only when I work nights??????).

So, overall, I'd say I'm a 6 heading for a 4, though without the Fibro, I can cope! I'm so used to headaches/migraines that I can do pretty much everything at this stage.

So, anyway, not too bad. Okay, I'm rambling, maybe the Fibro Frog IS setting up home in my brain. Gaddamnit.

Now where's that codeine got to...?

Get better soon honey! new
      #72985 - 05/24/04 04:13 PM
Linz

When you're up and about, try calling your local HFS store and see if they stock homeopathic remedies for nausea. They're great. I'd tell you which one I used to take, but I can't remember!

The Vapors????????? new
      #73005 - 05/24/04 04:57 PM
Kandee

Thanks, I'll take that honorary membership!!! I think I'm earning it daily………but as it was the day wasn't so bad after all. I worked my way back up to a 6 and didn't have to retire to may chambers after all!!!

Now LauraSue, if I were to go to bed in something long and flowing and lacy (reading poetry, of course) my "Southern Gentleman Colonel Husband" (now retired) would think it was time to re-enact some scenes from Gone with the Wind (wink, wink) and declare himself "Rett" ready to save this damsel in distress…………..(picture fades to a dark screen…)

Signed,

Miss Scarlet

--------------------

JenX, there is nothing worse than feeling that way........ new
      #73006 - 05/24/04 05:01 PM
Kandee

and not being able to move and having all the other junk that goes with fibro at the same time...............
This is going on to long...............and I hate it .....and it makes me mad ...it's not fair that someone like you should have to suffer like this......

I hope you get a handle on the nausea.........somehow!!!

Kandee
(love your doggy w/fan)

--------------------

Ooo Scarlet! Enjoy your Rhett! - nt new
      #73007 - 05/24/04 05:02 PM
Linz

YAY, YOU LS! you totally deserve a 6.5!!!! :) or more, of course! -nt- new
      #73010 - 05/24/04 05:08 PM
jenX

--------------------

K----- new
      #73011 - 05/24/04 05:12 PM
jenX

first of all, hope your head starts feeling better ASAP.

second, where did you get ginger caps? i'm going through this nausea thing now, twice in about 4 days, so i'm hoping it's not a new fibro thing and is only a side effect of the meds i'm going to insist i get taken off of!

--------------------

Ginger Root Caps new
      #73016 - 05/24/04 05:40 PM
Kandee

Natures Herbs Ginger Root caps

I got mine at the health food store, or I order the giant size, 250 caps, off Vitacost.com. (3 caps = 1,500 mg of ginger root)...also has a little Vit. E and rosemary oil in it. They aren't expensive, but boy, taken on a continual basis, really kicks the nausea. I never notice it until I QUIT taking them a while. If I'm religious about taking them...............have been, for the most part, for almost a year now, I just DON'T get nausea, and it seems to help the dizziness as well.

The tea? Forget it.......it has to much of a bite for me, plus you don't get that much ginger in you.

Hope this helps..............There are other brands, just ask at the HFS. Maybe you can stay on the meds if you add the ginger...........but only you can decide.

Kandee

--------------------

LOL!! Lawsy me, Miss Scarlett!! Glad you stayed a 6, hon. -nt- new
      #73027 - 05/24/04 06:18 PM
LauraSue

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Re: Ohmigosh, I think I'm a 6!!!! YEAH LAURA SUE!!!!! new
      #73029 - 05/24/04 06:20 PM
LauraSue

Thanks, babe!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#73031 - 05/24/04 06:23 PM
LauraSue

Quote:

why do I get this only when I work nights??????)

Because your biorhythms aren't used to the schedule. You're eating your meals at different times than your tummy wants to, hence the nausea, etc, etc. But boy am I jealous of the 8/9 on the fibro scale. I don't even remember what it stands for and I'm the one that came up with it!! Just keep that darn frog out of your hair, okay?!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Re: YAY, YOU LS! you totally deserve a 6.5!!!! :) or more, of course! -nt- new
      #73034 - 05/24/04 06:26 PM
LauraSue

Thanks, sweetie, and so do you. And you'll get there. I'm living proof. If I can do it at my advanced age, you can certainly do it, you youngster you! It'll take months, not weeks or days, but you can do it!! And you will. You're too stubborn to let this get you, right?! Now did you buy that eyeshade? I want to hear tomorrow that you got some sleep tonight, okay?? Okay!!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Yes Ma'am! new
      #73035 - 05/24/04 06:28 PM
Linz

I'm not even sure if it is my frog or just being tired! I can type, I can work, but speaking is beyond me. Ah well, I'm glad I've got you lot to talk to!

And my elbow and left wrist have started to ache, so I'm slipping down the Fibro scale! On the plus side, codeine and a decongestant kicked the headache's butt!

LS new
      #73036 - 05/24/04 06:30 PM
Linz

Forgot to say...I ordered some Hand-Eze from their website last night! Can't wait for those to arrive.

Re: LS new
      #73041 - 05/24/04 06:38 PM
LauraSue

Cool!! Hope they work as well for you as they do for me! Obviously they don't instantly erase ALL pain, but they do seem to help. Glad your headache's gone!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

New Yorkers don't do southern accents...........very well.........LOL--- new
      #73063 - 05/24/04 07:14 PM
Kandee

I can say that because I'm originally from New York......born in Rochester.

I think the "Daughters of the Confederacy" way down south in Georgia are still wondering why he married ME and not one of the "southern belles"............

Miss Kandee

--------------------

Re: New Yorkers don't do southern accents...........very well.........LOL--- new
      #73163 - 05/25/04 08:43 AM
LauraSue

Well, Miss Kandee, my mother's family hails from Ringgold, Georgia, if that counts for anything. I can actually do a pretty good southern accent, grew up listening to it from all my mom's aunts and uncles. Just can't type it the way it sounds.

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

But at least true New Yorkers know the proper way to pronounce "Houston Street" -nt- new
      #73207 - 05/25/04 10:03 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

Southern accents... new
      #73231 - 05/25/04 10:48 AM
Kandee

Quote:

Well, Miss Kandee, my mother's family hails from Ringgold, Georgia, if that counts for anything. I can actually do a pretty good southern accent, grew up listening to it from all my mom's aunts and uncles. Just can't type it the way it sounds.

Honey Child,
That sure does qualify you more than me!!! I suppose you eat grits and greens and chitlin's too.........lol

Hmm, don't get me started on the south...........what a cultural study! Love 'em though....

Ever listen to any of Carl Hurley's tapes? Primo southern humorist!

When I go down to south GA with hubby all his "kin" say about me, "well, she's nice, but she sure talks funny"........hehe.

"Way down south in the land of cotton.......old times....."

Oh Lordy, See what you've done............now you've got me singing their songs............

Miss Kandee

--------------------

Re: Southern accents... new
      #73311 - 05/25/04 01:03 PM
LauraSue

No to grits but my mom loves them, yes to greens, no to chitlin, yes to cornbread, fried chicken and biscuits and milk gravy, pecan pie, chicken and dumplings, baked beans, succotash, coconut cake, pineapple upside down cake and fried cakes (doughnuts). All pre-IBS, of course!!

Speaking of southern humor, have you ever read any of Fannie Flagg's books? I get a real kick out of them because it's like she's describing my mom's family!!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

You are making my mouth water............ new
      #73336 - 05/25/04 01:41 PM
Kandee

Quote:

No to grits but my mom loves them, yes to greens, no to chitlin, yes to cornbread, fried chicken and biscuits and milk gravy, pecan pie, chicken and dumplings, baked beans, succotash, coconut cake, pineapple upside down cake and fried cakes (doughnuts). All pre-IBS, of course!!

Speaking of southern humor, have you ever read any of Fannie Flagg's books? I get a real kick out of them because it's like she's describing my mom's family!!

You mentioned Fanny Flagg's books before, and I'd been meaning to order them. Glad you brought it up again. Well, my MIL, 98 years old, is the typical "Driving Miss Daisey", and sooooo southern baptist!!!

If you haven't yet, read the Sweet Potato Queen's books...hiliarious............but you better be over the age of 45 to appreciate them.

Oh my, the food you talked about........yes, all PIBS (pre-IBS). I tell you, there is nothing in the world like southern fried chicken. No one west of TX knows how to cook the stuff............that and BBQ as well. (Love the "big Pigs with slaw right on top"......) Greens, collard yes, turnip no. Yes to succotash and rutabagas...and all their overcooked veggies. And dumplin's........well, aren't dumplings.........they're noodles as far as I'm concerned..........and don't ever sweeten cornbread, (right?) only tea. When I first married hubby asked for cornbread. I knocked my brains out trying to make his request only to find out later what he wanted was a type of "hoe-cake", made like a corn pancake in a cast iron skillet.........sigh. I still don't make them.......not those blasted grits either that take years to cook (only instant in this house). I don' like them, unless eaten in Yankee fashion...........milk and sugar. And what's this thing with cocomut cake..? Is that a southern thing........? Hubby loves it. And fry pies.......like turnovers as far as I'm concerned. I do like boiled peanuts though!!!

Good thing I lived in Virginia a while........

Ok, since you are familiar with the south......you do know a bit about North Carolinians don't you? And how they talk? (Beaglelover, are you listening?)...anyway.....do you think you could translate this? It's two tar heels speaking to each other.

"M R Ducks"
"M R Not Ducks"
"OSAR Ducks, C'm Wings"
"L....I....B,... M R Ducks"!!!

Kandee

--------------------

Re: You are making my mouth water............ new
      #73342 - 05/25/04 01:57 PM
LauraSue

I've been wondering about the Sweet Potato Queen books, I'll add them to my list!

Are you serious about dumplin's being like noodles???!!! That's RIGHT!!!! They're flat and slick, not puffy globs like northern dumplings. Hallelujah, I thought our family was insane -- well, yeah, but not in that way.

Hoe-cake, unsweetened cornbread in a cast iron skillet, get the oil nice and hot before you pour the batter in so it sizzles like heck and gets nice and crispy, then bake in the oven and cut into wedges. Slather with butter or crumble up in a glass of buttermilk. YEAH!

FRY PIES!!!! I forgot all about them!!!! My gram usually made apricot ones. With powdered sugar sprinkled on them??

Okay, translation time, first into vernacular, then into the Queen's English:
"M R Ducks" = "Them are ducks" = "Those are ducks"
"M R Not Ducks" = Them are NOT ducks" = "Those are NOT ducks"
"OSAR Ducks, C'm Wings" = Those ARE ducks, comeon, WINGS" = Those are ducks, come on, they have wings."
"L....I....B,... M R Ducks"!!! = "Well I'll be, them ARE ducks" = "Well, goodness gracious, those ARE ducks."

Am I close? (Sounds just like my mom's Uncle Clyde talking to her Uncle Ben!)

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Re: You are making my mouth water............ new
      #73393 - 05/25/04 04:11 PM
Kandee

Make sure you read the SP Queens books in order. It will have more meaning...........but you'll be laughing your A* in no time. Forget the last........the Financial planner and recipe book........that is unless you want an attack just reading the recipes.

Nope, you're not crazy...........dumplings are DIFFERENT in the north........but with all do respect to the south there are BRANDS of dry noodles out there that call them dumplings on the pkg. Go figure!

Fried pies? Never could figure out why you had to use dried fruit only........but I'm sure there is a logical reason.

"CRISPY?, CRISPY?, CRISPY around the edges, YOU SAY?" I tell you, if I've heard that once I've heard that a THOUSAND times.......from hubby, from MIL and from everyone else even remotely related to the south and and that D* cornbread!!! You've got me confused with someone that actually makes the stuff............I'm a northerner, remember? I like cornbread sweet!!! (ducking) That or gobs of some sweet syrup on it...........perferably not sorghum!!! LOL.......

Eww, crumpled with buttermilk??? not this chick...

No, really, in this household we compromise.......I make a cake like, but more heavy and dense, low-fat GF cornbread, with a can of cream corn in it, no sugar. Hubby likes it, and I dump rice sryrup all over mine, and everyone's happy. If he wants hoe-cakes, he has to go home....

Anyway, I love the history of the "hoe-cake". It was made in the fields, during lunch time (or rather dinner). A thin batter of cornmeal and water and salt was poured onto the hoes heated from a small field fire. If they had it, a small amount of fat-back was added and that was often the only thing they had for the meal. Times were tough!
I know you knew that, but was just adding for northerners that may not.

Man oh man are you good Baby .............you can tell you've had that southern influence around you........You were almost right on it.........
Quote:

Okay, translation time, first into vernacular, then into the Queen's English:
"M R Ducks" = "Them are ducks" = "Those are ducks"
"M R Not Ducks" = Them are NOT ducks" = "Those are NOT ducks"
"OSAR Ducks, C'm Wings" = Those ARE ducks, comeon, WINGS" = Those are ducks, come on, they have wings."
"L....I....B,... M R Ducks"!!! = "Well I'll be, them ARE ducks" = "Well, goodness gracious, those ARE ducks."

Am I close? (Sounds just like my mom's Uncle Clyde talking to her Uncle Ben!)

The first two lines...absolutely correct!!

The OSAR is "oh yes they are"
C'm Wings is "See 'em wings?" or see them wings

But with the L I B, you were RIGHt on the money!!!!

I can tell, You took notes when Uncle Clyde talked to Uncle Ben didn't you? (When are you going to write YOUR book?)

I too talk to Uncle Ben sometimes .........when he's in my pot cooking......I say, "hurry up, d___it"!!!

Kandee

--------------------

LS, need book recommendations......... new
      #73397 - 05/25/04 04:23 PM
Kandee

Which Fannie Flagg books (or tapes) should I get?

Read in any order?

Is she the one that wrote the book based on the movie, Fried Green Tomatoes?

Thanks heaps,

Kandee

--------------------

Re: LS, need book recommendations......... new
      #73433 - 05/25/04 06:11 PM
LauraSue

Yes, you could start with that one. Some of them have the same characters but I think that was the one she started with.

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Thanks LS....All of her's look good!!!-nt- new
      #73439 - 05/25/04 06:20 PM
Kandee

Kandee

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 857 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2408

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review