View all threads Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Advice
      #59120 - 04/08/04 09:40 AM
tarabara04

Reged: 04/06/04
Loc: Bay Area, California, USA

Hi everyone,
I hope you are all having a good morning. Hopefully your tummies aren't acting up too much! I have actually had a better week this week emotionally because I discovered Heather's books and all of you . (Last week, I was in tears when I realized that there was no simple magic potion I could take once to cure me). But now I feel more in control. One thing, however, is how I'm going to explain this to my friends. I've read some of the advice, but I'm not quite sure what to do. ("Hi I found out I have IBS. " I mean I have really understanding friends and it's been great because they've been calling a lot lately (which is wonderful since home schooling is a social deprivation - i've been on it since end of january for med. probs) and asking how I"m doing, etc. I find myself just saying that I'm getting better and just kind of skating around the issue. They know I had really bad migraines and got really dehydrated and had to be in hospital for five days but now I don't know. I just say I'm trying to find things to eat that work for me so I can gain more energy. Do you think that's good enough? Next week some wanna hang out with me on spring break and another wants to come before easter and some more want to visit, which makes me happy but also kind of nervous . But what if they have stuff I don't eat/bring stuff I don't eat. Sorry, I"m being neurotic but I just hate feeling like I'm being rude by bringing my own snacks/telling them what I can eat. As I'm sure you all know, one of the most popular teenage activites is like binging on food, especially if it's junk food..lol! Maybe I just won't share ALL of the details . Oh well, any advice would be helpful! Like how you shared it with your friends. Thank you so much. You all are my saviors! And sorry if I'm being neurotic!
P.S. Does this post fit the criteria for the "Living Room" or does it have too much to do with IBS? Thanks much!

--------------------
If you live life to love, you'll love to live life.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Advice new
      #59133 - 04/08/04 10:07 AM
Kimm

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Hey there...

that's great that you've got some plans to spend time with your friends but I know how nerve racking that can be when you have so many diet restrictions.

First of all....take a deep breathe and try to stay calm. You don't have to go into great detail about your health and diet with your friends if you're not up to it.

Bring your own snacks...baked lays, baked tostitos and salsa, etc. Chances are...your friends won't even think twice when you break out this stuff cuz lots of people aren't even aware that this stuff isn't really "junk" food.

Second, if they ask you why you're not eating the same stuff they are just say you've been trying to change your diet because you think it will improve your health.

I've found that if I don't make a big deal out of it and act casual about it then other people tend to follow suit and do the same thing.

Most importantly you must remember to put yourself and your health first!! When you really think about it...what anyone else thinks about your diet really doesn't matter in the big picture. What does matter is that you feel good and your tummy is happy!!

Not to mention...these people are your friends and I'm sure they want the best for you and want to see you happy and healthy. If this is what makes you happy and healthy then I'm sure they'll support you 100%. If not...then they probably aren't the greatest friends in the first place right??

Anyway....try to keep calm...I know it's easier said than done...the night before you hook up with your friends drink some tummy tea and relax so you're not too wound up.

Hope this helped...let us know how everything goes!!

#59184 - 04/08/04 11:45 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Hi there! My advice is to just be honest! I would wait until you guys are all together, that way you only have to do it once. Just say something like, Ok guys, I've found out what some of my health problems are, they call it IBS which means my tummy has a really hard time with certain foods and I need to be careful of what I eat. You don't really have to give them all the details if you don't want to go into it, but as someone else said, if you don't make it out to be a big no the shouldn't see it that way either!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#59298 - 04/08/04 03:18 PM
tarabara04

Reged: 04/06/04
Loc: Bay Area, California, USA

Thanks so much Kimm and Michele! I let some of my friends know already and I just kind of told them that there are certain foods that trigger problems (i didn't give detail ) but that it's no big and I can control it and that their friendship/support helps me majorly! Thanks so much for giving me the courage to share! HOpe you're doing well!

--------------------
If you live life to love, you'll love to live life.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3650 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 377

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review