Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
colonoscopy...oh boy!
      #350421 - 09/29/09 11:25 AM
Aly

Reged: 08/16/04
Loc: Columbus, Ohio

Hi friends!
I am having a colonoscopy tomorrow and am about to start my prep. Lovely. I'm not looking forward to it, but I have really learned what to do in order to make it manageable.
I took 4 dulcolax at 2pm and am doing the miralax prep mixed with some propel water.
I'm not looking forwarwd to it and thought you all could certailny understand how much it sucks.
I guess my thought right now is that I'm so used to the "it's just IBS" talk from doctors that I'm going to go through all of this just to hear that again. blech. Well, at least my new doctor is really good. She's fantastic actually. She called me at home Saturday since she knew I was so sick last week. She made them move up my colonoscopy to tomorrow. (At least I don't have too much time to dread it!)
Wish me luck!!! AH!
Aly

--------------------
IBS-A

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: colonoscopy...oh boy! new
      #350422 - 09/29/09 11:29 AM
frygurl

Reged: 08/18/09

Good luck! I am having one next Friday and am dreading the prep as well. Just remember, this too shall pass. And you're not doing this for nothing, you're doing this to rule out anything seriously wrong with your gut. Hopefully it will be a relief in some ways. Let us know how it goes.

#350423 - 09/29/09 11:52 AM
Aly

Thanks! If I have any tips or any things I wish I would have done differently I will let you know!
That's a great way of thinking about it. I'm doing this to rule out the bad stuff--I always have to remind myself this could be SO much worse.

--------------------
IBS-A

so full... new
      #350428 - 09/29/09 02:07 PM
Aly

ugh. I feel so full and I have had 3.5 glasses out of 8 so far. UGH!!!!!!
I hope it kicks in soon so I can be DONE with this

--------------------
IBS-A

#350435 - 09/29/09 04:20 PM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

Good luck, Aly. You are one of the sweeter people on these boards. I enjoy chatting with you. That prep will be over faster than you can say, "Uh-oh, I need the john." Hang in there and be well. Geri

#350444 - 09/29/09 07:41 PM
Aly

Thanks Geri!
I'm doing great now. I have been going a lot this evening but without any stomach cramps--which is a nice change:)
I am anxious to just get it over with, but boy do I feel better now.
Thanks for the sweet words--I enjoy chatting with you too!!

--------------------
IBS-A

#350445 - 09/29/09 09:39 PM
goldiloks72

Reged: 07/28/09

Hey there,
Good luck tomorrow. I will be thinking of you. It is the ROYAL cleanse. It is good to go through all these tests to rule out other stuff.
Lots of love to you,
Julie

all done--question for everyone new
      #350503 - 10/01/09 01:48 PM
Aly

So, I made it through just fine. Honestly, besides being really full from drinking that stuff, it wasn't bad at all. But here is my question.
My doc said my colon didn't look normal. There were some spots of irriation and redness and swelling. She said it could be a form of colitis, but it didn't really look like any normal kind. (which leads me to believe it isn't colitis...especially without the horrible D most people get...mine comes now and then, but I'm mostly C now with cramps and D maybe once a week/every other week)
Anyone with IBS ever have a not normal colonoscopy?? I just am wondering if it is possible to have the irritation from IBS...anyone know?

--------------------
IBS-A

Re: all done--question for everyone new
      #350508 - 10/01/09 02:37 PM
frygurl

I'm glad you made it through and it wasn't so bad.

Did your doctor do any biopsies since she saw abnormal conditions in the colon? I am interested to know how this is explained, because it seems like we always hear that IBS doesn't cause inflammation or physical damage to the colon. It seems like there are so few things doctors can actually explain about our bodies, doesn't it?

For Aly new
      #350512 - 10/01/09 03:14 PM
Gerikat

I have read that inflammation is the start of physical disease in the body. I am inclined to agree with that. For your doc to make that statement, I sure hope that he/she intends to follow-up with the big quesiton...why? I would not rest easy being told that, with no follow-up as to why. Maybe a biopsy or follow-up colonoscopy (not too soon, just to see if inflammation is gone) or even sigmoidoscopy (although that only looks at the last part of the colon, but is less invasive).

I hope your doc can give you some answers. Geri

Yes, she did plenty of biopsies--I'll find out the results next week-nt new
      #350513 - 10/01/09 04:03 PM
Aly

--------------------
IBS-A

made it through my colonscopy this morning new
      #350696 - 10/09/09 12:27 PM
frygurl

Well, I made it through my first colonscopy this morning and received an official diagnosis of IBS. I was pretty scared to go through the whole process, but I swear, none of it was as bad as I thought it would be.

My prep started yesterday morning by not eating anything but liquids, so basically a fast. At 2pm I had to start downing 1 eight ounce glass of Golytely every 10 minutes. I mixed the medicine with two tubs of lemonade crystal light. I am glad I decided to go for the crystal light because I think the Golytely would have been unbearable with out it. With the crystal light, it tasted like lemonade with a salty after taste. I just chased it with a sip of plain, cold water, and it was fine. I also drank it through a straw.

It took about an hour and 4 glasses of the medicine for my bowels to begin emptying. It wasn't explosive at all, in fact it wasn't unpleasant. I've felt much worse with just my normal IBS symptoms. No cramping. So once I started going I literally stayed on the toilet for the next three hours. I could've gotten up, but I didn't want to wipe too much, and since the urge would hit me really suddenly, it was helpful just to be on the toilet. My husband was kind enough to pour my glasses of medicine, and check on me regularly. The worst symptoms for me was the nausea when first downing a glass of the stuff, but it would pass with some slow deep breathing through the nose. I had plenty of reading material in the bathroom to keep my occupied throughout the process.

I stopped two glasses short of finishing the entire gallon of Golytely because my stool was clear (actually yellow from the food dye in crystal light), and because I was getting really full and nauseous. The bummer was, I kept having to hit the bathroom for the next 4-5 hours, even though I stopped the medicine. It was hard to rest comfortably. And my heartburn flared up bad - I think because my stomach wanted food.

I slept fitfully, with a lot of rumbling in my gut, heartburn, and the occasional need to hit the toilet. In the morning my husband and I headed to my doctor's office. Everything was super efficient - I immediately got undressed in a gown and layed down on the bed. I had three nurses and my GI doctor. The covered me with a heated blanket, which was nice.

After putting in the IV, they put on heart moniters, and oxygen on my nose. Then I had to roll over on my left side. The sedative started through the IV, but I didn't really feel it that much. I found it hard to talk, but I was still awake. The proceed was uncomfortable in some spots and painful in others, but nothing was excruciating, and the nurses were so nice. It was over in about 45-60 minutes, but it felt a lot shorter to me.

I was also suppose to get an endoscopy, but when they went to put the scope down my throat I kept gagging and resisting (yes, even with sedation), so they doctor decided not to push it. I am really disappointed in this because heartburn is one of my worst symptoms, so I really wanted my doctor to see what was going on.

All said and done, my doctor says I have a beautiful, healthy looking colon (gee thanks) and diagnosed me with IBS. She recommended a couple medications to manage my IBS symptoms, namely Ametriptyline and some anti-spasmadic med (don't remember the name). She didn't pressure me, but said I should think about it.

All in all, the colonscopy experience was not that bad, even the prep. No cramping with the colon cleansing, and only some nausea from gulping large amounts of liquid. And I didn't get the chills like I was told I would, so bonus. The hardest part for me was fasting - I fasted for 36 hours, which was hard on my system.

I love that coming home from the colonoscopy, I feel normal (for me). Even the gas after the procedure wasn't bad at all. The nurse kept asking me to roll around and use the toilet to release gas, but there honestly wasn't much. No pain afterwards at all. Just some dizziness and tiredness from sedation.

I hope this eases the minds of those who still have to get through a colonscopy. I do feel relief for knowing there is nothing seriously wrong. I just hope I can find a way to feel better someday.

Edited by frygurl (10/09/09 12:37 PM)

Re: made it through my colonscopy this morning new
      #350697 - 10/09/09 12:41 PM
Gerikat

I was totally knocked out, so I did not feel a thing. I guess every doc does it differently, but I would prefer the total knock-out.

#350699 - 10/09/09 01:55 PM
Aly

This was SO well written! I agree, it was not nearly as bad as I had anticipated. I remember telling my husband that I didn't mind going to the bathroom non stop since I didn't have the horrible cramping I get with IBS.
Anyway, glad you are done with it and had a good experience.

--------------------
IBS-A

#350707 - 10/09/09 06:32 PM
frygurl

Yes, I would have preferred being knocked-out as well. Unfortunately, that's not the way it's done through my insurance - they use conscious sedation instead of anesthesia. Maybe because it's less expensive since you don't need a anesthesiologist to monitor the patient during the procedure.

#350708 - 10/09/09 06:47 PM
Gerikat

Oh, I'm so sorry. I did not realize that insurance determined that. I thought the doc did. They just have too much darn power over us, don't they? If we want the treatment/procedure, we have to do it their way.

#350709 - 10/09/09 07:08 PM
frygurl

So true!!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1942 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5663

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review