Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Be strong about IBS...a reflection
      #331145 - 06/16/08 06:12 AM
Aly

Reged: 08/16/04
Loc: Columbus, Ohio

Hello all.
After a crazy IBS weekend, I wanted to write a little. I spent the weekend on a trip to DC and for the first 2 days, I was great. No problems at all. Saturday night just as we got back to the hotel, I felt some cramping. It turned into a HORRIBLE attack. The cramps were so severe, I had the thoguht that childbirth must be managable for me if I could get through those pains. I was up most of the night running to the bathroom, crying in pain, etc...
On Sunday, I woke up and had to go to a wedding. I had a moment of clarity. I had a horrible night.
This was nothing to EVER be embarrased about. This is a medical condition that caused severe pain. I knew if any 'normal' person had those pains, they'd be in the ER. I've always been a bit quiet with exactly what is wrong with me. I cannot tell you how many times I say I have just a really bad belly. "Oh, I've got such a crappy stomach, so I don't feel like eating...".
But the other night made me realize IBS will ALWAYS be with me. This is something I need to stand up against. Although I felt strong, I still didn't really tell anyone at the wedding why I passed on the greasy cheesy ravioli...lol.
And one BIG note: For anyone who is ALWAYS trying to figure out WHAT caused an attack. For me, the single most rewarding thing was being able to say "I don't know." I know I ate safely, I exercised, etc... It wasn't anything I did. I have to remember that IBS is a syndrome that comes and goes for me. When it's here, I hope I can just accept it and keep moving. Not focusing on each attack and what the trigger was helps so much. I don't do dairy, I eat very low fat...it isn't food with me. Stress, traveling, etc all sound like possible causes, but not focusing on why helps me stop feeling crummy and sorry for myself.
So, overall, I just want to say that never ever for a second think this isn't a big deal. IBS hurts. Literally. I took a minute, felt sorry for myself, and then looked to the future. Instead of worrying about getting back on track, I want to just keep going and living my life. It's a hard diagnosis for many of us, but after 10 years, I think this past weekend was my first time I was able to say "yep, just my IBS acting up. I'll be better tomorrow" (and by the way, after the bad attack, I had a 7 hour drive home that I made just fine!)
Happy belly thoughts to everyone!

--------------------
IBS-A

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Be strong about IBS...a reflection new
      #331149 - 06/16/08 07:50 AM
steffiejoy

Reged: 11/26/07
Loc: Cleveland, Ohio

Your post came at a perfect time for me. My IBS has been going backwards all of a sudden and like you said... I as well dont do dairy, no red meat, almost zero fat- so its not the food. But currently my brother-in-law's health is suffering, today I have to go to the hospital to get this skin infection removed and I'm on antibiotics- so yeah its stress. I always try to make IBS seem like its nothing and no big deal when family members or other people ask me "Oh why dont you want a drink?" I just shrug it off and say I'm not in the mood. But like you said Aly, it is a big deal and sometimes I just want to say "this sucks and I cant have a drink or eat that cheeseburger because if I do, I will be miserable." But I also hate the attention and people feeling sorry for me. Yesterday my throat started to hurt and I've been coughing and sneezing and I told my husband that my throat was starting to hurt and he looked at me said "Well its probably all just in your head". No... its not in my head- I wasnt imagining myself sneeze and cough! Hes usually very supportive but last night I wanted to strangle him. Anyways... this long reply is just to say that I agree and one day I will get used to this and hopefully can develop a more positive attitude as well. I hope your tummy is doing much better now! Thanks!!

Stef

#331152 - 06/16/08 09:29 AM
dragonfly

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: canada

Wow! Itmust be tha time of year.It seems everyone is having bad flare ups right now.Myself included.I do know I haven't been eating right though.We've been busy and supper is a last minute thought.I'm back on track though, no more crap!

It's great to hear you had an I get it moment.Sometimes I think I do and then I don't!
I'm just amazed that you had a seven hour drive and were fine.I think I'd have died!
Have a happy week!!

--------------------
IBS-D since 1999...mostly stable..i do cheat too.Bad me.

#331155 - 06/16/08 11:02 AM
hawkeye

Reged: 06/16/03
Loc: NYC

This is a great post! I've had ibs since childhood and work a lot on getting over the shame connected with it that I began to feel in childhood and especially in adolescence. You're also right that sometimes coming up with the story of why you got sick this time doesnt' really help. Good for you for staying focused on what you want to do in life instead of getting pulled off course by the ibs.

--------------------
Ladies & gentlemen take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

#331167 - 06/16/08 03:24 PM
fancymom

Reged: 09/17/07
Loc: SC

Loved reading this post, Aly.
I think we have ALL been there. And no matter what you say to people in trying to explain or excuse why you feel bad, or why you just aren't yourself, or why you aren't drinking alcohol when everybody else is...they will NEVER understand, unless they have it...and they have been there themselves. It always seemed like such a waste of my breath. I just know that it really SUCKS at the time you are having an attack - I have had attacks so bad that I am sitting on the toilet sweating, dizzy with cramps and praying to God to PLEASE make it STOP!!
But, I usually feel a little better the next day, and your right - life goes on! You really do learn to live with it.

Glad your feeling better now!!

--------------------
FancyMom
IBS-A,Constipation predominant, GERD

great post! new
      #331170 - 06/16/08 03:57 PM
Zara

Reged: 06/07/06

You're right, IBS attacks come and goe. Sometimes we just get an attack out of the blue. I also analyze everything I put in my mouth for the past three days when I have an attack.
I like the childbirth analogy - at least in this we can say that IBS makes us stronger, haha . I haven't had kids yet but many time I've felt like my insides were about to burst open. What is labor compared to that, right ?

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

Re: great post! new
      #331172 - 06/16/08 04:48 PM
fancymom

Reged: 09/17/07
Loc: SC

Ok...I just have to say that I have 2 children and childbirth is a HELL of a lot worse than IBS pain!!!!!

WOOOOOOOOOW! Get ready, girls...

--------------------
FancyMom
IBS-A,Constipation predominant, GERD

Fantastic Post !! new
      #331173 - 06/16/08 05:32 PM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

Quote:

yep, just my IBS acting up. I'll be better tomorrow

You are so right!! Thanks for the great reminder - one day at a time. I'm glad you didn't suffer through the wedding and the drive home!

Hugs!!

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

Re: great post! new
      #331174 - 06/16/08 05:37 PM
Aly

Oh I'm sure you're right!!! It really was a big exaggeration....lol. But I certainly have learned some deep breathing techniques for the cramping (which I'm sure will go right out the window when I do actually have a baby!!)

--------------------
IBS-A

#331177 - 06/16/08 07:34 PM
emmasmom

Reged: 09/22/06
Loc: ILL

Thanks for the post. I know you can drive yourself crazy trying to figure what it was and hopeing it wasn't this or that and being scared it was and driving yourself crazy.I did that last week when I had one out of the blue! As far as childbirth goes. I would much rather go through that than a attack! I have told my dh that many times.Its so hard to acept sometimes that this is your life. I just made my daughter a icecream cone and was sad cause I couldn't enjoy one with her.....My sisters think its just all in my head and I just want to scream. But we can't let it take are life. Thanks for the post its nice to know your not alone. (hugs)
emmasmom
ibs-c
gas

#331179 - 06/17/08 06:27 AM
dragonfly

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: canada

I don't know about the childbirth thing....my cramping feels like labor pains.The only good thing about childbirth pains is that after all the effort you can show the results to all your friends!!

You had a great post....and who cares what other people think.If they think it's all in your head let them. We know better and just because everyone else is having a drink or cheesecake(mmmmmmmmm)that doesn't mean you have to.And you don't need to explain why.Right?

IBS is a strange strange thing. Someday they will find he cure.I think it'll be when they stop putting preservatives and junk in all our food.When farmers stop spraying pesticides and herbacides.When our meat isn't injected with steroids and antibiotics. When our goverment realizes that they really need pollution control. All the wonderful things we have and "need" contribute to the problems we are all facing.Even this computer!!!(just try and take it away!)

Sorry didn't mean to spew but.....

It's tough to be able to say it's just my IBS acting up because not everyone believes it exists. I'm glad that you have come to terms with it and wish everyone here can do the same.

Good luck to everyone in this eternal struggle for a normal life (with cheesecake!!)

--------------------
IBS-D since 1999...mostly stable..i do cheat too.Bad me.

#331186 - 06/17/08 08:46 AM

Unregistered

What a wonderful post! Thank you

Great Post! new
      #331212 - 06/17/08 04:57 PM
Angela E.

Reged: 10/14/04
Loc: Michigan

What a great post! I have the same attitude as you do. I am mom of 2 and after being diagnosed with IBS after having my first baby, I made a decision right then and there that IBS was NOT going to ruin my life. I was not going to dwell on it and I would do what i had to so that I could be a healthy mom for my kids. I now have it under control pretty well and sure now and then I have an attack but I just say ok well that's over let's move on. I really think your post is inspiring and something these boards have been missing for quite awhile. Thanks for sharing your story!

#331228 - 06/18/08 08:28 AM
vettech

Reged: 06/08/08
Loc: ME

As everyone has said, this is a good post. And the vast majority of the time I have been able to take this attitude. After 20-some years, I know that this is going to happen sometimes, I'll feel icky for a day or two, then I'll be ok for awhile. I, my friends and my family have learned to live with that.

But with this latest bout (the worst ever), having constant nausea and cramps for 4 months straight, it's hard to keep my chin up. I'm embarrassed to say I've started wallowing in self-pity. I still have my sense of humour (but it's fading fast).

--------------------
IBS-A and GERD since 1983
Low FODMAP since 2012

#331233 - 06/18/08 08:53 AM
TG

Reged: 06/04/08

I hate it when IBS flares come and go without a "trigger," which is why I joke with my friends that I have a puffer fish living in my abdomen. It keeps me from, as you said, obsessing over why it's there.

I do, however, think that everyone deserves a pity party at least in a while. One of my good friends and I had one to complain about our health issues and then got over them. Plus it was a great excuse to get together for lunch!

By the way, you are a strong, awesome person to still take a road trip after feeling that way

T.G.
Digest This Comic!

#331250 - 06/18/08 12:58 PM
Hapamama

Reged: 05/15/08
Loc: Seattle

Quote:

which is why I joke with my friends that I have a puffer fish living in my abdomen.

lol! I love that. It sure feels that way some days.

Wow! new
      #331266 - 06/19/08 07:06 AM
Aly

Thanks for all of the positive responses about my post! It was something I really needed to say, as I have kept reading these boards but was becoming increasingly frustrated with some posts. It's a tough diagnosis, but this board needs to be a place where we can come and support each other on HEATHER's diet. I am SO glad I can come here and talk about all of these problems that can be embarassing to discuss with other people!
You guys are great. By the way, this positive attitude I had after my attack Sat night worked! By Monday I was back to normal! Yesterday was my birthday and I enjoyed crab legs and an IBS safe bday cake last night! It was fantastic!
Hugs to everyone!

--------------------
IBS-A

#331280 - 06/19/08 09:44 AM
Nugget

Reged: 02/10/03

Thanks for the wonderful reflection, Aly. I really needed that today. {{{hugs}}} Your words are so true.

#331297 - 06/19/08 11:09 AM
Kiwii

Reged: 09/27/05

Well said Aly. Glad to hear your coming to terms with it. I hope you feel better & get some answers about what causes your attacks.

--------------------
Kiwi
IBS-C

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2910 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7435

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review