All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Re: Be strong about IBS...a reflection new
      #331179 - 06/17/08 06:27 AM
dragonfly

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: canada

I don't know about the childbirth thing....my cramping feels like labor pains.The only good thing about childbirth pains is that after all the effort you can show the results to all your friends!!

You had a great post....and who cares what other people think.If they think it's all in your head let them. We know better and just because everyone else is having a drink or cheesecake(mmmmmmmmm)that doesn't mean you have to.And you don't need to explain why.Right?

IBS is a strange strange thing. Someday they will find he cure.I think it'll be when they stop putting preservatives and junk in all our food.When farmers stop spraying pesticides and herbacides.When our meat isn't injected with steroids and antibiotics. When our goverment realizes that they really need pollution control. All the wonderful things we have and "need" contribute to the problems we are all facing.Even this computer!!!(just try and take it away!)

Sorry didn't mean to spew but.....

It's tough to be able to say it's just my IBS acting up because not everyone believes it exists. I'm glad that you have come to terms with it and wish everyone here can do the same.

Good luck to everyone in this eternal struggle for a normal life (with cheesecake!!)

--------------------
IBS-D since 1999...mostly stable..i do cheat too.Bad me.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

#331186 - 06/17/08 08:46 AM

Unregistered

What a wonderful post! Thank you

Great Post! new
      #331212 - 06/17/08 04:57 PM
Angela E.

Reged: 10/14/04
Loc: Michigan

What a great post! I have the same attitude as you do. I am mom of 2 and after being diagnosed with IBS after having my first baby, I made a decision right then and there that IBS was NOT going to ruin my life. I was not going to dwell on it and I would do what i had to so that I could be a healthy mom for my kids. I now have it under control pretty well and sure now and then I have an attack but I just say ok well that's over let's move on. I really think your post is inspiring and something these boards have been missing for quite awhile. Thanks for sharing your story!

#331228 - 06/18/08 08:28 AM
vettech

Reged: 06/08/08
Loc: ME

As everyone has said, this is a good post. And the vast majority of the time I have been able to take this attitude. After 20-some years, I know that this is going to happen sometimes, I'll feel icky for a day or two, then I'll be ok for awhile. I, my friends and my family have learned to live with that.

But with this latest bout (the worst ever), having constant nausea and cramps for 4 months straight, it's hard to keep my chin up. I'm embarrassed to say I've started wallowing in self-pity. I still have my sense of humour (but it's fading fast).

--------------------
IBS-A and GERD since 1983
Low FODMAP since 2012

#331233 - 06/18/08 08:53 AM
TG

Reged: 06/04/08

I hate it when IBS flares come and go without a "trigger," which is why I joke with my friends that I have a puffer fish living in my abdomen. It keeps me from, as you said, obsessing over why it's there.

I do, however, think that everyone deserves a pity party at least in a while. One of my good friends and I had one to complain about our health issues and then got over them. Plus it was a great excuse to get together for lunch!

By the way, you are a strong, awesome person to still take a road trip after feeling that way

T.G.
Digest This Comic!

#331250 - 06/18/08 12:58 PM
Hapamama

Reged: 05/15/08
Loc: Seattle

Quote:

which is why I joke with my friends that I have a puffer fish living in my abdomen.

lol! I love that. It sure feels that way some days.

Wow! new
      #331266 - 06/19/08 07:06 AM
Aly

Reged: 08/16/04
Loc: Columbus, Ohio

Thanks for all of the positive responses about my post! It was something I really needed to say, as I have kept reading these boards but was becoming increasingly frustrated with some posts. It's a tough diagnosis, but this board needs to be a place where we can come and support each other on HEATHER's diet. I am SO glad I can come here and talk about all of these problems that can be embarassing to discuss with other people!
You guys are great. By the way, this positive attitude I had after my attack Sat night worked! By Monday I was back to normal! Yesterday was my birthday and I enjoyed crab legs and an IBS safe bday cake last night! It was fantastic!
Hugs to everyone!

--------------------
IBS-A

#331280 - 06/19/08 09:44 AM
Nugget

Reged: 02/10/03

Thanks for the wonderful reflection, Aly. I really needed that today. {{{hugs}}} Your words are so true.

#331297 - 06/19/08 11:09 AM
Kiwii

Reged: 09/27/05

Well said Aly. Glad to hear your coming to terms with it. I hope you feel better & get some answers about what causes your attacks.

--------------------
Kiwi
IBS-C

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1593 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7458

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review