All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Question for the ladies on the pill
      #281673 - 09/11/06 03:35 PM
AmandaM

Reged: 10/05/05

Is it possible to still ovulate while taking the pill? I distinctly remember what it used to feel like when I did ovulate and I was awoken last night feeling the exact same sort of dull pain in the area where my ovaries are. I did take a couple pills late this month because I misplaced my pills when I was moving :O Could that have something to do with it?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Question for the ladies on the pill new
      #281719 - 09/11/06 10:13 PM
ChristineM

Reged: 05/31/04
Loc: soCal

You should not be ovulating while you're on the pill. The women who get pregnant while on the pill obviously do, though. I don't think just a couple of "late" pills would allow that, unless there are other things going on: using antibiotics, major weight gain, etc.

It's probably nothing to worry about. You can use condoms if it'll make you feel better, but in the great unlikelihood that you did ovulate, the egg is no longer viable by now, anyway.

--------------------
Christine

Those who can do; those who want it done better teach.

#281750 - 09/12/06 08:13 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I agree, you shouldn't ovulate while on the pill but if you missed a few pills around the right time, I supposed it would be possible. If you plan on having sex the next day or two, might want to use an alternative method, just in case but I agree, its unlikely implantation would happen but woman have gotten pregnant on the pill so its not impossible!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#281935 - 09/12/06 11:00 PM
LittleLamb

Reged: 07/22/04
Loc: USA

Yes, it is possible to still ovulate. Birth control pills have multiple ways of working.

1. They suppress ovulation usually.
2. They thicken the cervical mucus, making it more difficult for the sperm to travel up through the cervix.
3. They thin the inner lining of the uterus, depleting it of glycogen and blood supply. In the event that the pill does not suppress ovulation, an egg could be fertilized (conception). It would be very difficult for the fertilized egg to implant in the uterine wall because the lining is so altered and not prepared to support a growing baby. The fertilized egg then dies.

I hope this helps to answer your question.

#281941 - 09/13/06 12:11 AM
AmandaM

Reged: 10/05/05

Thanks! I was just curious. I am not worried about getting pregnant..no man in the love dept right now I just wondered if it was my ovaries acting achy or something gut related.

#282002 - 09/13/06 10:43 AM
Lumiere

Reged: 06/30/06
Loc: New England

If it's any consolation, I have felt my ovaries "ache" and usually it's when I take my pill(s) a bit late. It is also possible that it's just achey-ness from your intestine/colon as well, as it's all a pretty close knit family down there. I think that's also why those prone to D normally have IBS flare ups because of the uterus contracting. Make sure you visit your OB-GYN every year so she/he can keep an eye on any changes when she/he does your examination. Hugs!

--------------------
Amy
IBS-A
Stable and thankful!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 431 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1025

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review