All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Anyone ever seen a nutrionist?
      #275923 - 07/27/06 02:35 PM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

And whats the difference between a nutritionist and a dietitian?? Here's the deal-you all know my health story. I just found out my cholesterol is 234! I've gone from IBS C (taking Miralax daily) to complete D. I'm talking the 20 times a day, explosive D and sometimes there is blood in it. Sorry, tmi I'm sure!

My rheumy is aware of this and running some additional testing. She feels that it may be Crohns or just another lovely side effect of the Ra itself or one of the medications. I'm also overweight, a good 30-40 pounds overweight, which isn't helping my joints any.

Being on the steroids causes your body to turn every thing into fat. She told me to not eat anything white or sugar. However, we know that with the D we need that soluble fiber. Despite being on the steroids, I'm losing weight, which is unheard of but I'll take it any way i can!

I'm thinking about consulting someone, just not sure who about my diet. Any suggestions?

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Anyone??? nt new
      #276022 - 07/28/06 07:01 AM
michele

--------------------

Re: Nutritionist new
      #276024 - 07/28/06 07:10 AM
JLL24

Reged: 09/23/04

Hi Michele,

I went to a nutritionist once when I was in the midst of a 6 month flare up of UC where I had lost 30 lbs and was struggling to keep anything in.

Anyway, it wasn't a great appointment b/c she said that she couldn't really recommend anything b/c I know what foods are safe for me to eat during a flare, etc. So it wasn't the greatest but since you're going to get your cholesterol sorted out I think it will be beneficial. They'll probably get you to write out a three day menu that you typically eat (that's what I did) and they'll discuss how to change your menu, etc.

I did get a lot of good pamphlets and stuff for when I was well enough to eat normally again so that was helpful.

Sorry this isn't more helpful for your situation but I figured I'd tell you since no one else had written yet.

Jenn

Re: Anyone??? nt new
      #276025 - 07/28/06 07:13 AM
MCV

Reged: 01/04/05
Loc: Manchester, NH

I don't have much info for you - I've never been to a nutritionist or a dietician. I did just find this article though, that answers your question on what the difference is :

Mayo Clinic Article

--------------------
>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<
Michelle
IBS-A, pain predominant

Re: Anyone??? new
      #276050 - 07/28/06 08:21 AM
michele

Thanks, at least now I know to look for a licenced dietician!

--------------------

Re: Anyone ever seen a nutrionist? new
      #276051 - 07/28/06 08:24 AM
caroll56

Reged: 04/01/06

It may prove to be helpful.....

#276056 - 07/28/06 08:38 AM
michele

I was wondering if they would really be able to help or not but I'm at my witts end. Its always either coming out one end or the other and I can't figure out anything safe to eat!!

--------------------

I have new
      #276100 - 07/28/06 11:39 AM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Hey Michele,

I saw a nutritionist earlier this year because they offered it free through my work. Actually, I thought she was a nutritionist but she had her doctorate and everything in nutrition and was very, very knowledgable so I think she was actually a dietician but I can't be sure.
It was sort of strange because she worked out of California and Calgary and I am in Vancouver, so all the appointments were done by phone and she would send me things in the mail.
She was really great. She'd spend *ages* talking to me on the phone and sent me some really great information on different vitamins, different foods, specific info about women's health.
She had me food diary and send her them every couple of days and then she would evaluate them and told me what I was missing from my diet (like, for example, I get practically no calcium some days which is so important for women).
She encouraged me to make some food changes that were really beneficial to me, and some that I couldn't do but were worth trying.
In the end, I got lazy with keeping in good contact and she really couldn't help me figure out why I have all these reactions to different foods in my throat. I got kind of frustrated because I just wanted to get "fixed" and gave up. I wish now I hadn't lost contact with her as it was paid for through my job and I think she really was brilliant.

The new GI doc I saw yesterday is going to refer me to the hospital dietician but he said the waitlist is huge. When I get in, though, I'll let you know how it goes if you want.

Hope my ramblings helped a little.
Good luck, let us know how you get on!

Stephanie

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

Re: Anyone ever seen a nutrionist? new
      #276103 - 07/28/06 11:42 AM
ChristineM

Reged: 05/31/04
Loc: soCal

I've never been, but I went with my dad when he had to start a high-protein diet for his hypoglycemia, and we were worried because he already had high cholesterol. She was fabulous. She gave us a lot of specific suggestions for foods for him to eat, how often to eat, etc. She took a lot of time to research so that she could give us as much information as possible.

Go for it!

--------------------
Christine

Those who can do; those who want it done better teach.

#276104 - 07/28/06 11:44 AM
meesh30

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: NYC

Hi, I am new to posting, but have been reading them for a few months. I thought of something you might be interested in - similar to Nutritionist / Dietitian. My fiance has IBS-D, and after recent flare-ups, I've been trying to look for more options for him. I've done alot of research on alternative medicine, and found a "Naturopathic Medicine" (herbal/natural remedies) doctor who is also an acupuncturist. When we spoke to her, we found that she combines both therapies to help out people with IBS, and other digestive disorders. She also happens to have IBS. I am not sure what it entails, but a naturapathic dr might be better than a nutritionist, as it is not more about healtly eating than trying to feel better.

Re: thanks girls new
      #276117 - 07/28/06 12:31 PM
michele

I'm going to try and find one next week. Feeling very sick, just throw up my white rice i had for lunch, going home early. Have a nice weekend.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 4036 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1649

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review