All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Anti-Depressants
      #274529 - 07/18/06 10:05 AM
SaraToruno

Reged: 07/18/06

I've had IBS for about five years now, but it never really bothered me all that much becuase it would only act up occasionally around my periods, but other than that I was fine, so I never gave it much thought. Now, ever since April, my symptoms have been acting up more so. As a result I've gone into depression. I guess I'm still hoping that I might some day feel normal again, just like I used to. But what if that doesn't happen?

And now, even when I'm not having any symptoms, or they are very mild, I still get extremely depressed out of the blue. I fear food. I'm scared to live my life. I'm wondering if a lot of it is in my head. Anyhow, the purpose for this long post, is I'm wondering if anyone out there is on Anti-depressants. I did some research and found that Paxil is supposed to be good for people with IBS and depression, but who knows. I'm scared to try it because what if it makes things worse. Does anyone have some advice on the matter?

Thanks.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Anti-Depressants new
      #274532 - 07/18/06 11:04 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Check in the library section and do a board search. Lots of us are on some sort of AD (anti-depressant.) IBS is not in your head but stress and worry definitely do make it worse!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Re: Anti-Depressants new
      #274537 - 07/18/06 11:42 AM
nuggs1968

Reged: 06/26/06

Hello Sara...

I know how you feel. I've been there....being afraid to eat anything for fear of what it will cause my stomach to do. I also went into depression over my IBS and the loss of my grandmother. I have been on Zoloft and Effexor in the past. Have been completely off any anti-depressant since just before Memorial Day. I went off because I didn't like the side effects and the withdrawal was bad for me. Some people don't have as bad of a time with it as I did...so don't let that scare you if you want to try anti-depressants. They do work wonders for IBS. One great side effect for me since I am IBS-D was that it caused constipation! Yippee....I no longer had to fear food and make sure I knew where every bathroom in town was. I'm now taking regular acupuncture treatments and a Chinese herbal tincture. It's too early in the treatment to notice any drastic improvement, but I have noticed mild changes.

Good luck to you! {{{hugs}}}

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3473 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 643

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review