All Boards >> The Living Room

View all threads Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
What would you do?
      #26559 - 11/11/03 11:16 AM
Nugget

Reged: 02/10/03

Well.....the saga continues on our building construction. But, I think we are beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel. I apologize(sp?) if this gets too long.

The contractor is in the process of fixing one major thing that was wrong and didn't pass inspection and we gave him a must completion date of October 31. They were almost finished when we got a bad snowstorm and their excuse was that our driveway was too muddy for them to get their equipment into the building to finish this "fix-up". They are just being lazy because we have been driving in the mud with no problem. Last night the contractor called and said that my husband needed to do something about the mud before they would finish. My husband said "what am I supposed to do about it?!" (trying to keep his cool) Then my husband asked why we have yet to receive the remote for the automatic door opener and (get this) the contractor said when he got a check from us he would give us the remote! How idiotic is that?! A couple weeks ago we told him what we were looking at for a discount because of all that is wrong and he "counter offered" and last night he asked what we decided on a dollar figure. We told him we would discuss that when the project was complete. My husband told him that the project is not complete without the remote. He got all irrate and started yelling (this is on the phone with my husband and I could hear him yelling without being on the other line) and saying that we would get the remote once he got a check. This argument went on for a while and he wanted to know what our figure was that we would pay him. I looked at my husband and told him to offer what we had talked about and offer it as is and we will find someone else to finish the "fix-up" and the contractor agreed to that. My husband told him we'd let him know for sure in a couple days.

My question is this.....what would you do? We have thought about getting a lawyer, but don't want the hassle and any more stress. We just want these guys out of our hair and done with the stress of the whole situation. We want to start enjoying this building. I know some people would fight this to the end, but that's not the type of people we are. The money or anything we would gain is not worth the stress. We were both so mad last night when we got off the phone, we were shaking. It's not worth it. We are getting something out of the deal but, not as much as we could if we fought like hell for it.

Thanks for listening.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

SCREW IT!!!!!!!!!!!!! new
      #26649 - 11/12/03 07:02 AM
Nugget

Fight!! new
      #26652 - 11/12/03 08:11 AM
Lana_Marie

Reged: 01/31/03
Loc: Saskatchewan. Canada

Hi - You guys are having such a tough time - I feel so terrible for you!

I would take them to the lawyers....I know you don't want to, but these guys seriously deserve it!!!

Also - I would report them to the Business Bureau so no one has to go through what you have gone through.

Good luck and keep us posted

--------------------
Lana_Marie
Proud Mommy to Bentley Taylor
Born May 12, 2004 9lbs, 3oz

Re: What would you do? new
      #26657 - 11/12/03 08:22 AM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

I don't know all the details but my 1st question would be, have you paid them anything yet? If so, then just let them finish what they have already started.

I work for a company and we sell and service x-ray equipment in hospitals etc... there is always electrical, & contractors to deal with floor plans etc. This is our policy...........

20% down before we start anything (i.e. floor plans & ordering the equipment) *note: most sales are in the 250,000.00 range.

70% down when everything is delivered (in your case, the remote.. wood, and the items that are used to build, paint...etc.)

10% final payment when the job is complete

The reason for him wanting payment is probably because he has costs to cover and employees to pay.

I guess if it were me... (or where I work) I would find out what it would take to remove or decrease the mud....there is a reason they don't want to go thur it... maybe it damages the equipment? I'm not sure.... see if they would be willing to split the cost (as it was unexpected by both parties), but because it was an act of god...... they just assume it is all on you.

Money talks on both ends ... he has bills to pay and you want the project done. Don't give them all the money hold the final 10% (just as an example)....but give them something....they will then being willing to invest more time & money.

Just my two bits......

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

Re: What would you do? new
      #26709 - 11/12/03 11:00 AM
Nugget

We have only paid 10% as per the contract which reads that there is to be 10% down and balance due upon completion. Our reasoning is that it is not completed without fixing this mistake they are supposed to be fixing and giving us the remote for the door. The contractor is being a jerk saying "no remote til you give me a check". We say "you'll have your check when we get the remote". As far as the mud goes....there's nothing we can do about it. And it has dried out enough right now anyway for them to get in.

Re: Fight!! new
      #26721 - 11/12/03 11:19 AM
Nugget

We have decided not to take them to court because it would just be more hassle than it is worth. We are both ready to just say "enough is enough" and these people obviously aren't capable of doing the job right. They aren't worth any more stress to us. We just want to be able to start enjoying our building and move on to happier less stressful things.

We are definately going to report them to the Better Business Bureau though.

Thanks for the support!

We are calling it quits..... new
      #26935 - 11/13/03 11:06 AM
Nugget

Well, we meet with the contractor at our building tomorrow for him to hand over the remote and we will hand over a check for what we feel is appropriate and we will get someone else to finish the "fix-up". Then we will be done with this idiot.

Re: We are calling it quits..... new
      #26959 - 11/13/03 01:07 PM
Shell Marr

That sounds like a good thing..... Good Luck to ya!

--------------------

Get a load of this....... new
      #27020 - 11/14/03 08:27 AM
Nugget

We had it all set up yesterday that the contractor would meet us at our place tonight at 5:00 and give us the door remote in exchange for the check and sign some papers. Well before the day was over, he called my husband at work yesterday and said he couldn't make it at that time...he will come to our place Saturday at 8:00. So....even down to picking up the check, this guy can't make it when he says he'll be there! It never ends!!!! ha!

Re: Get a load of this....... new
      #27031 - 11/14/03 09:53 AM
Shell Marr

Wow... guess I really did not know the whole story!! LOL You will be so happy after Sat is over!!

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3186 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1435

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review