All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Please Help Me ... Interview/Job Search Attire
      #264915 - 05/22/06 09:19 PM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Ok guys, I'm sorry again for how little I've been posting, it's been a really stressful couple of weeks. My Dad just moved cities to move in with his new wife and Scott started a new (overnight ) job. Plus, my private disability insurance company cut me off so I'm no longer being paid. I haven't been fired because I'm appealing their decision, but I only have 30 days to appeal or return to work and unfortunately I know (and my doctors agree) that I'm still not well enough to return to that position.

So, I'm thinking I should start looking for jobs. Now, this is what I get for being out of work for so long...I have no idea what I should wear if I'm distributing resumes and/or if I get called for an interview. My doctors have specific ideas for what I should be looking for (basically it can't be something as stressful as working in a call center) so I'm largely looking for administrative/data-entry type positions. I'm also looking at some overnight positions (mostly in hotels) because my sleep schedule is still so screwed up.

Anyways, that's where you guys come in. I have no female friends in town and I could really use some advice on what to wear. I have very little that fits me so I had to go and buy a couple of small things...but I've kept the tags on everything in case I change my mind. I'm going to show pictures of the two different outfits and could really use some input.

Here's the first one...it's a skirt. I like this one the most but I know some people may not like the boots and I have no other shoes (plus I have the ankle problem). I can't afford new shoes right now so I would have to go with the boots if I wore this outfit: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v339/Vicam7/workclothes.jpg

The second outfit is more "business-like" but I can't figure out whether I should tuck in the shirt or not I know that's stupid but I just don't know what people are doing these days. Scott keeps telling me it should be tucked but I feel like that makes me look like a boy and prefer it untucked. I should also point out that I have a better camisol type thing to wear under it but I didn't have it when I took the picture, so the tank top underneath wouldn't be as obvious:

Tucked-In: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v339/Vicam7/workclothes1.jpg

Un-Tucked: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v339/Vicam7/workclothes3.jpg

One other option I guess would be to wear the black top with the black pants...but I thought that might be too much black. It's a nice black cashmere sweater (if that helps).
Thank you soooo much

Edited by Vicam (05/23/06 01:45 AM)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Please Help Me ... Interview/Job Search Attire new
      #264917 - 05/22/06 09:34 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

I'd go with the business like look. When you're applying for the office jobs, it would probably be good to wear your shirt tucked in, and you can wear your hair down or semi pinned up to soften your look. When you're applying for the hotel or other positions, untucked will be okay.

Since the weather is getting nicer now, wearing the boots with the skirt for an interview would not be as professional.

#264920 - 05/22/06 10:35 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

I think both outfits look good. The second one looks okay either tucked or not. Personally I prefer untucked. As a general rule, I always dress for whatever job I'm applying for. Dress the way you would on the job. Good luck on the hunt.

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

From someone with HR experience... new
      #264937 - 05/23/06 06:11 AM
nomorepooch

Reged: 04/18/06

Dress for the job that you are interviewing for...check out the industry "style" and dress accordingly.

I prefer tucked in...but I am a corporate geek.

--------------------
Have a blessed day! Rachel
Formerly poochibelly...
I have IBS but it doesn't have me!

#264940 - 05/23/06 06:32 AM
JLL24

Reged: 09/23/04

I think the last photo with the shirt untucked would be appropriate for an interview. Do you have a black blazer or suit jacket you could wear over the shirt?

#264953 - 05/23/06 07:14 AM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

Hey Kelly,

Ok, I have to say I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE when you post clothes questions with pics. FUN!!

I would wear that white shirt (tucked in) with the pants. I think as someone else suggested wearing your hair down would be prettier- less stern looking. ha ha

KNOCK 'EM DEAD!!!!

#264959 - 05/23/06 07:32 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I also like the black pants and white shirt, tucked in! You are thin enough to wear it tucked in and its more professional looking! I agree though, let some of the hair down, maybe just pull the sides back a bit if it bothers you in your face!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#264968 - 05/23/06 08:18 AM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: Maryland

I agree with everyone else about the second outfit!

I love the skirt outfit as well, but because its spring/almost summer the boots may not be as appropriate and may make a better fall outfit.

--------------------

Re: Personally... (edited) new
      #264973 - 05/23/06 08:39 AM
Blondie13

Reged: 02/28/06
Loc: Sheffield, England

Whilst I love the skirt, I think in summer it looks a bit heavy with the boots.

So... I like the trousers with the shirt, tucked in (I'd wear it untucked to attend work, but tucked for an interview), BUT, I think it desperately needs a belt. I've quickly done a photoshop mock up for you (just based on a random belt pic of the net), and I think it looks loads better - breaks it up a bit. (I also faded out the tank top a bit so you got a better idea of what the cami would look like). I think you'd need to add one darkish colour to the outfit - and have your bag and maybe a piece of jewellery or a belt in a similar colour. I'd choose red, but turqoise would look nice and summery, or maybe darkish green, would go well with your hair colour? Just an idea.

Pic:

As you can see I also did a real quick mockup of the cashmere sweater with the trousers, and while I think it makes a great outfit (and would be great to actually wear to work), I think it looks maybe a little too casual for an interview. (I think this would look better with a belt too, probably a coloured one?)

Hope that helps!!

--------------------
http://ibsblondie13.blogspot.com/

Edited by Blondie13 (05/23/06 08:53 AM)

Re: Personally... new
      #264974 - 05/23/06 08:44 AM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

Caroline, I can't see your pic. If it's a Photoshop file maybe it's saved as a CMYK file, not an RGB?

What do you do career-wise? I ask because you mentionned Photoshop which I'm super familiar with as a graphic designer!

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2645 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2642

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review