All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
little update, per sinead's request
      #261024 - 05/02/06 09:36 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

Okay, you are kind of confusing two guys. The first one, Michael, I met through friends. He's the one who had an issue about my religion, and we did break up. At least, we had a fight that I was too drunk to remember and I left the bar crying and we never spoke again.

Annnnnyway, a couple weeks later is when I met the one at my brothers' church, and my brother very non-smoothly introduced us. We have to call him R, because his name is unusual enough that if he googles himself he will find this post. So, we met at a church dinner, instant chemistry, chatted all evening. He came over to my brother's the next day for a little party, hung out the whole day. He called me a couple days later and we made a date for that weekend. Our first date was amazing and we ended up spending most of the weekend together. That was two months ago, and I've seen him at least 3 or 4 times a week since then. It's just been so easy with us. No drama, no fights, no questions about whether or not we're seeing other people, none of that. He's really just everything on my list, everything I want in a person. He's smart (masters in chemistry, works as a research scientist, but wants to get his MBA and get into finance), responsible, religious, close to his family, old-fashioned enough to know that I appreciate chivalry and traditional dating roles but modern enough that he wants an educated, ambitious career gal, amazing with my niece and nephew, into the same activities (we've gone salsa dancing, to the opera, to yankees games, movies, Home Depot ... ), and ridiculously good looking. He's a dead ringer for Pete Sampras, actually, which is really funny. He's also just totally sweet and caring. He came over when I got a horrendous stomach virus about 2 weeks into the relationship. He took amazing care of me while I had a really high fever and was throwing up. Even cleaned my bathroom! He's coming to my graduation (in 3 weeks!) and has no qualms about sitting through the whole thing with my parents (whom he hasn't yet met), and is just an all-around great guy. Ashley (Dr. Spice) and I were just saying today that he probably has ex girlfriends in his freezer, because NOBODY can be this perfect! So, we'll see where it goes. I told him right from the start that I am not into serious relationships that don't go anywhere, told him all about how things went with my ex, etc. He's totally on the same page, promised not to waste my time, etc, and said that I should know "one way or the other" within about 4 or 5 months, which I think is totally reasonable. I'm not in any kind of rush to get married, but I refuse to have another relationship that lasts 2 or 3 years and then ends. It's too painful. He's 28, seems as ready as I am to settle down, and doesn't date for fun either. So hopefully it will work out. And if it doesn't, hopefully it will end before I get too much more attached. So, that's the story!
How's married life treating you?

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Thanks so much Amanda... new
      #261133 - 05/02/06 02:30 PM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

I had the right guy alright, just slightly less confused than I thought

He sounds really fabulous, like he ticks all your boxes and decent. Plus, since you met him through your brother he will be less likely to lead you on. I am delighted for you! It's great to meet someone that you connect with instantly. I have a friend who broke up from a 7 year relationship that really was going nowhere and bumped into a girl who he had taken classes with four years earlier. She had been in a longterm relationship at the time too but both were single. They started dating February last year, we met them in March and they were just so good together, it was amazing. They got engaged at Christmas of the same year and are getting married in January. When you click, you just click, it's great.

(P and I on the other hand went out for over 8 years before we got engaged, but we were very young starting out)

Married life is fantastic. People are usually surprised when I say that, and even more surprised when P does but it is. I didn't think it would change a think at all but it really does, you feel more connected I think. We really have been living it up since we got married though- a six week honeymoon, weekends away, the good life, it's got to end soon! Off to Venice for my 30th birthday in a few weeks and then things will calm down for a little while (for me at any rate, P has two stag parties) then we have a wedding in Galway (west of Ireland) in July and one in Rome in August. Really looking forward to the summer settling in as we have tons to look forward to.

When is your Thailand trip or have I missed that too?

--------------------
S.

Are you going to Thailand, AP? -nt- new
      #261143 - 05/02/06 03:46 PM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

Re: little update, per sinead's request new
      #261157 - 05/02/06 05:35 PM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

Wow! It's going so great Amanda. Yippee!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the update, I was wondering about it since you posted in the early stages about him.

Yup, among other places new
      #261224 - 05/03/06 04:20 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Two of my girlfriends from school and I are going on a big Asia trip after the bar exam. We'll cover Bangkok, Cheng Mei, Phuket, Hong Kong, Kyoto, and Tokyo over the course of 4 weeks. I'm super excited! I'll be eating ketchup sandwiches all summer long to save up the money for it, but it's going to be worth it. The plane tix are already bought and paid for, but the hotels are going to be fairly expensive since we all agreed that we are no longer 18 (so don't want to backpack) and are unfamiliar with the language and culture enough that we want to stay in high-end international hotels. It should be a great experience. I'll start working 2 days after I get back, so hopefully I won't be too jetlagged!

--------------------
Amanda

no, thank YOU :) new
      #261225 - 05/03/06 04:27 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Any excuse to ramble on about my man ....

I had a KILLER exam last night -- my very last law school final EVER -- a four-hour multiple choice exam on the federal rules of evidence. It was from 5:30-9:30, so hard to stay focused for that many hours! Anyway R-man picked me up from school and took me out for a drink and some food, so nice. He's just dreamy, really. Of course we all have our little annoying tendancies but his are no worse than anyone else's, so it's all good. He lives a little bit outside of the city (in NY state but just north of the Jersey border, on that side of the river), and I am going to his place for the first time tomorrow (even though we've already been dating two months). It should be a good time -- I'll let you know how it goes!

Glad to hear you are enjoying married life. You guys sound so busy, but good busy! I love to travel, and it seems like you are taking some great trips. My brother and SIL have NINE weddings to go this summer, and they just had a baby at the end of February (Elias, the love of my life). I don't know how you all do it! From where I stand married life looks pretty darn good. I'd like to get in on some of that!

Anyway thanks for your interest, you're sweet Glad to hear you're doing well too!

xo Panda

--------------------
Amanda

#261226 - 05/03/06 04:28 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Aw thanks Tina! I know, I felt bad that I never got around to posting an update after things got started with us. I guess part of me is still afraid that it's too good to be true, and that if I say it outloud it will all disappear, you know? But yeah, I'm happy. He's a gentleman, and that's really all I've ever wanted.

--------------------
Amanda

#261343 - 05/03/06 01:59 PM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

Wow. Within 4 or 5 months, really? My boyfriend and I had been together for over three years and living together for over two before he finally proposed. And I think the only reason he did propose is because I said, "OK, I want to get married and have babies, and if you're not interested, I'm leaving."

He does sound fantastic. I wouldn't be too worried about the freezer, but I would probably avoid looking in his browser cache and don't look at the magazines in his sock drawer!

Keep us updated!!

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

#261368 - 05/03/06 03:00 PM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Well I don't know if we'll necessarily be engaged within 4 or 5 months, but I think we'll definitely make a determination about whether or not it's headed in that direction. I just went for a walk with one of my girlfriends and she was telling me that I'm nuts, that it takes way longer than that to know a person .... I mean I'm not Renee Zelwegger or anything but I just don't think it takes that long. If he proposed after 6 months I wouldn't have a problem saying yes, if everything else still seemed right. I mean he took care of me when I had 102.5 and was puking my brains out -- even slept in my bed that night! -- and somehow still finds me attractive. That's gotta count for something! We've spent pretty much all our free time together since our first date, so it's not like 2 months of seeing each other just for dinner on Friday night or whatever. We've had our bitchy moments (okay I've had those), and little spats, and bickered, so I think we're over the whole best-foot-forward phase, at least to some extent. Anyway, it's good. I'll keep you posted

ps I tried that whole "I want to get married or it's over" thing with my ex. Guess how THAT worked out! (and I'm glad!)

--------------------
Amanda

:) at his place, and the freezer is fine! new
      #261765 - 05/05/06 07:35 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Just wanted to let you all know that contrary to Ashley's suspicion, there are no bodies of ex girlfriends in the freezer. His place is nice and big but way out in the middle of nowhere. I could never live this far from the city. He's had it on the market for a few months and hopefully it will sell soon so he can move closer (not because of me, obvi). Anyway we had a very nice evening last night, and he's at work now so I have his place to myself. I have been doing laundry (wooohooo since I don't have my own washer/dryer)and just chilling out. So far, so good!

--------------------
Amanda

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 547 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2347

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review