All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Another lady question... but more IBS related!
      #257062 - 04/07/06 10:21 PM
Becca LG

Reged: 04/07/06
Loc: Minneapolis, MN

I was reading someone else's post about going off BC and was wondering if anyone knows the effect of all this hormone stuff and IBS... my mother is convinced my symptoms will go away if I stop taking BC (I think she's just paranoid... she also warns me about blood clots continuously also) but I don't want to go on/off/on if need be. Anyone have any knowledge in this area? I'm tempted to try it to see if it helps the IBS at all since I'm starting to run out of options and all my IBS has done for the last 3 years is get worse... and worse and worse.

-b

--------------------
At least I've learned a lot about my
body...

IBS-A and still figuring things out

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Another lady question... but more IBS related! new
      #257064 - 04/07/06 10:43 PM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

It doesn't hurt to try (unless you get worse cramps, but that's temporary). I found much more relief being on the birth control pill. A lot of women get more symptoms associated with their period.

Everyone's different though, let us know if you have more questions.
kat

--------------------
Kat

#257069 - 04/07/06 11:30 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

I actually have a much easier time with IBS when I am on BC. Blood clots- they are a possible side effect of BC but unless you smoke or drink or have some sort of pre-existing condition it's a very minimal risk. It's highly unlikely it will happen if you are in good health (excepting the IBS). Keep in mind that if you go off BC you're body will go through an adjustment period and if you go back on your body will have to readjust again.

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

#257087 - 04/08/06 07:20 AM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

I've been taking BC pills for the last 6 months and my IBS has progressively gotten worse over the last 3 - I've been getting D attacks 1-2 times per week, cramping and my anxiety is increasing. At the time I started taking them I was also taking a higher dose of probiotics and for the last 2-3 months I cut back on it so that also might be why I'm getting worse. BC's destroy the good flora (or bacteria) in your gut so probiotics should be taken to compensate for it. I know for certain BC's are the problem because this is the exact way I felt the last time I took BC's a few years ago.
At this time I don't know if I should stop taking the BC pills or keep taking them and up my dose of probiotics.

#257105 - 04/08/06 08:47 AM
K2

Thanks for that info! I never heard that before about BC pills. I may try probiotics and see if I notice a difference too.
Thanks,
Kat

--------------------
Kat

#257107 - 04/08/06 09:03 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

When I first started the pill years ago, I noticed an improvement in my IBS symptoms. I did have to experiment with several different types because some didn't help w/ my periods and others made me too emotional. I've been on BC, on and off, for the last nine years in order to help shorten my periods and reduce cramping. I've had IBS for 12 years, and I've noticed that my IBS gets worse if I'm NOT taking BC. I know it doesn't work out this way for everyone, but after talking to my doctor, I feel safe staying on them.

Gracie new
      #257108 - 04/08/06 09:04 AM
lalala

Ooh, I didn't know that! So how exactly do BCs destroy the good flora?

Probiotics and BC new
      #257121 - 04/08/06 10:39 AM
Becca LG

Reged: 04/07/06
Loc: Minneapolis, MN

Wow, ok, so I just started taking acidopholis (probiotics) and have noticed an improvement with the IBS. My IBS started around the time I started BC but it didn't really get bad until a few months after the BC. I wasn't sure if there was a real connection or not until someone pointed out that both started around the same time... hence the recent contemplation to stop taking it. Maybe, since probiotics seem to help, the BC really is causing it?

--------------------
At least I've learned a lot about my
body...

IBS-A and still figuring things out

Re: Did a bit of research.. new
      #257122 - 04/08/06 10:50 AM
K2

I looked this up since it really was of interest to me. One of the websites I found is pretty decent http://www.healingdaily.com/detoxification-diet/probiotics.htm

There are many things that can lead to decreased gut flora, even our city drinking water. It's worth the quick read to check out the website.

Kat

--------------------
Kat

Re: Gracie new
      #257131 - 04/08/06 12:37 PM
Gracie

I can't say exactly how it happens but Birth control pills are one of the main reasons for candidias overgrowth in your system. For some reason I guess it acts in your gut like an antibiotic does and decreases the good bacteria, causing yeast overgrowth.

#257132 - 04/08/06 12:42 PM
Gracie

I hope it works out good for you.

Re:Thanks! new
      #257176 - 04/08/06 08:49 PM
lalala

Thanks, Gracie. I haven't had a problem yet, but that's good to know in case something does happen, like recurrent yeast infections or worsening of my IBS symptoms.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2753 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1098

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review