Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Scared about going to the dentist...cavity question
      #252979 - 03/18/06 06:05 PM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Hey Guys,
I have to apologize again for being so MIA...I've been fighting off a virus and an insurance company and it's just taking all of my time and energy.

Unfortunately, it looks like I might lose my medical/dental benefits at the end of March, so I figured I better get to the dentist before then even though I didn't want to go until I had my anxiety issues straightened out because I'm so scared of dentists.

Anyways, I found out I have 3 small cavities in between my teeth I'm really upset because I have never had cavities before and now I need to have them filled (it's being done Monday). My doctor is giving me extra sedating medication to try and help me through it...but it would be better if I knew what to expect.

I've been researching it and trying to get information but some of it's just scaring me. I can't have the gas because I'm allergic to it..and if they have to use a needle I'm afraid I'll hit the doctor.

It's really weird, I've never had a cavity and I haven't changed my brushing habits, I'm wondering if it could have something to do with the fact that I had an eating disorder awhile back and that I only drink bottled water which maybe doesn't have flouride in it? (just a thought)

Anyways, I'm getting the clear/white fillings...and I read that there is something in them that can sometimes increase your risk of breast cancer. Does anyone know anything about that?

If anyone can give me any information or words of wisdom I'd appreciate it. I hope you guys don't mind me asking for help when I know I haven't been around here much recently. I'm sorry again

Kelly

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Scared about going to the dentist...cavity question new
      #252981 - 03/18/06 06:25 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

I have had SO MUCH dental work done. Fillings and root canals and extractions up the who-haw. Fillings are a piece of cake. They'll numb you up. They use a drill to make sure that they get all of the decay out of the area where the filling is going. Then they fill it up with whichever material has been chosen. The drill doesn not hurt. You'll feel the pressure a little and the vibration from it but that's all. I even had a part of my tooth drilled with no novacaine and that didn't even hurt. Getting shots in the mouth I have found are really not so bad. Take in a deep breath when they give you the shot and think a happy thought. Most of the time they don't hurt when I get them. You'll be in and out with fillings. And for some reason, I always get cold when I go to the dentist. Maybe it is just that I am laying stationary in the chair and not moving, but bring a sweater just in case to wear in there. As for the filling material causing breast cancer, I've heard that there is a minimal risk for things like that but I've never heard of it happening to anyone. If breast cancer runs in your family, then talk to your dentist about it beforehand to figure out the best way to go. You'll be fine. IBS is worse than any dental visit. And once it's done, your teeth will be looking as good as new. Let me know how do. Good luck.

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

#253008 - 03/18/06 10:35 PM
ChristineM

Reged: 05/31/04
Loc: soCal

Fillings aren't too bad, Kelly. Getting the shot doesn't hurt, because they give you a topical numbing gel first. It's a little unpleasant because it takes a while to get in all the novacaine, but that's just because you can feel the dentist hovering over you. Just keep your eyes closed, and you'll be okay.

Your cheek(s) will stay numb for a couple of hours after your visit, so make sure you eat beforehand (to the extent that you feel you can). Chewing while numb is very hazardous to the inside of your mouth!

The only thing I have heard about the white fillings is that they don't last quite as long. Beyond that, I don't know. I would also make sure your insurance coverage is the same. Mine pays more for the silver ones than white.

--------------------
Christine

Those who can do; those who want it done better teach.

#253010 - 03/18/06 11:35 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

One of my dentists told me that drinking warm tea will help the numbing go away faster. I tried it and seemed to speed up the process a little.

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

#253131 - 03/20/06 05:12 AM
franny

Reged: 05/16/05
Loc: N. FL

I too hate, hate, hate the dentist and he is a friend..Take the meds(I use lorazapam)to relax, close your eyes the whole time and go visit some beautiful beach or island for a few minutes!!! Sounds so silly but I've had so much dental work done that I'm running out of places to go in my head!
The filling won't take too long, good luck..if you have them, listen to Michaels CD's before you go also.

--------------------
Franny
IBS/D
Celiac

Edited by franny (03/20/06 05:14 AM)

#253152 - 03/20/06 08:14 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Not sure if I'm too late and you have already left but try to stay calm. Ask them for headphones so you can listen to whatever music you like. As mentioned, they should use a topical numbzit stuff before the shot. The shots aren't too awful, just a few seconds and its over. Once thats done, its no big deal. Your jaw may get a little sore from holding your mouth open but you shouldn't have any pain. I think the worse part is walking around for hours after feeling like you have a fat lip! Let us know when you get home and how it went! Love and hugs!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2133 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 683

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review