All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Ever get a haircut that just made ya want to cry?
      #251031 - 03/09/06 09:15 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I just got my hair cut and a body wave. Well, I didn't think the body wave had "taken" on one side. So, I went back yesterday. Now....I really have curls...as in fake looking perm hair curls.

And, for some reason, she started cutting more off of it too. She chopped me so short...plus with the body wave (more like a perm) it curls up even more. It looked so natural before...and a nice length.

I should have just left it alone. I cried when I got home. I absolutely hate it. I just want to wear a hat and/or stay home for months until it grows out.

Any suggestions on how to make it less "permy"? I can't glue my hair back on...so I'm stuck with tons of short layers that I just hate. I am so stupid for going back. I should have just left it alone.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Ever get a haircut that just made ya want to cry? new
      #251034 - 03/09/06 09:22 AM
Angela E.

Reged: 10/14/04
Loc: Michigan

Ah Beth I have had those kind of haircuts. That is so disappointing when you go for a new look and go home crying. I would suggest washing your hair alot! Maybe even twice a day just to help relax the curl. Use a diffuser or let it air dry and make sure you use some kind of curl management product like Lorel's pumping curls or even Friz-ease serum so the curls don't get to frizzy looking. I bet your hair isn't as bad as you think. It will take a few days but work with it and see what you can do. I would love to see a pic??? But that might be a long shot huh since you are hating the haircut. Hang in there sweetie. Maybe even look for a new clip or headband to spruce it up. *hugs*

#251035 - 03/09/06 09:27 AM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

Been there!!!! My mom is a hairdresser and when I was a teenager I agreed to let her perm my hair at her work. She also cut it all off and my perm was SUPER tight. As soon as I saw it I bawled my eyes out right in front of everyone. She wasn't too happy that I did that.

It will grow back AND the curls WILL relax! If you still hate it you can go back to the salon again.

Hugs, we've all been there.

I even had my shoulder length hair cut super short by a friend. My ex saw it and took the clippers to my head and gave me a brush cut (well almost)!!! I wanted to wear a hat to work too! I settled on bandanas for a month and hair gel to "style" it.

God, it happens to us all. Doesn't mean it's any easier to deal with though!

#251046 - 03/09/06 09:48 AM
Kiwii

Reged: 09/27/05

For starters, wash it!! I have curly hair too. It was nice & it had a wave in it when I was 12, but then I hust had to get a perm, & it's never been the same since. My secret is, get some VO5, the one for fine hair, & apply it to hair after towle drying it a little. Then I let my hair air dry. Afterwords, I put maybe a little moe V05 in Then I fire up the curling iron. I have about a 3/4" barrel, you can try a 1" also. I take a small section of hair, & run the curling Iron down it 3x. On the third time, I curl all the way up to my scalp. I go all the way around my head. I do the sides first then the back. Leave all the curls in until your done. Then run your fingers thru it, it should look more like a body wave! Mine does, & I've cut it short before. Right now it's mid length. The bigger the barrel, the bigger the wave!It's time consuming, but I never leave the house after washing my hair w/out doing it! Should take about 25 mins! Hope this helps!

--------------------
Kiwi
IBS-C

#251047 - 03/09/06 09:53 AM
jaime g

Reged: 07/27/05
Loc: new york city

oh, beth that sucks. i'm sorry. i completely know how you feel. senior year of college, i cut my hair off - it had been past my waist, and i cut it to my chin. a big change. i went in and asked for it "shorter in the back, longer in the front" and i got these very first-lady or newscaster-ish layers which were *shorter* in the front, and so not at all what i wanted. it took me a year to find anyone who understood "longer in the front, shorter in the back," and another year and a half to find a hairdresser i loved.

depending on how short your hair is now, there are some options - i'd experiment with hair products. you can either try to relax the curls - friz-ease wind down is amazing and i love it - or play with them and go sort of messy - a soft-hold gel would be good for that. clips and bobby pins might also help you out.

i know how much it sucks to hate your haircut - "it'll grow back" is no consolation, since it's so damn slow! but in the week after a haircut your hair does calm down a little as the edges get less blunt, so hopefully that should help a little. ::hugs::

--------------------
jaime
ibs-a (mostly d) // vegetarian

Oh gosh I'm sorry new
      #251050 - 03/09/06 09:58 AM
ecmmbm

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: North Carolina

I promise IT WILL GET BETTER... some curl relaxing product and I bet it actually looks really nice. Hang in there... good thing about hair, it always grows back. And I've had some doozies of "do's" in my time. Know you feel bad but it won't be forever, hang in there!!

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle
...the greatest of these is LOVE. (I Cor 13)

#251053 - 03/09/06 10:04 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Beth, that's terrible! I'm sorry your perm went wrong. I'd wash it, like the others said. I also like the idea of wearing headscarves or headbands. Could you go to another beauty salon and see if they can relax it or fix it in some way?

You're not stupid for going back. If you're unhappy with a haircut, you should be able to go back and trust that they'll make it better for you. I'm just sorry that the person who did your hair didn't know what she doing!

#251063 - 03/09/06 10:24 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Oh sweetie, we've ALL been there at one time or another!! I've certainly had my share of bad cuts AND bad perms! As suggested, try washing it more often and use leave in condition, that will help relax the curl. I'm sure its not nearly as bad as you feel it is and I'm sure in a few days it will relax some as well. How about a picture and we can make some more suggestions! Hugs sweetie!!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Thanks for the suggestions, ladies new
      #251069 - 03/09/06 10:38 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I knew you'd all understand! I feel better just hearing you from you guys. I know it will grow, and it's "just hair"...but did I mention it also has the added bonus of making me look about 15 years older? Not good! I feel like I could pass for my mom's sister. Well, maybe not that much older!

I'd post a pic, if I had a digital camera. But, I remain a ghost writer until I inheret some money or a camera. I never take good pics anyhow.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

We can do this! new
      #251070 - 03/09/06 10:38 AM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

You poor thing!! OK, this is what you do. First remove all the lightbulbs in the bathroom. You won't catch your reflection that way and it'll be a less painful reminder if you avoid the big mirrors. Second, use only a very small mirror to apply makeup. Concentrate on that one part of your face only. I'd also find some favorite hats you've neglected in your closet and start giving them a new life. Hats need love too.

And get a straightening iron and straighten your hair out to its full length!!! Take lots of time doing this and the look will last until you wash it out. Go for length and straightness, not for wave! It'll be less painful if you get the most length out of it as possible!!

{{{{HUGS}}}} Don't worry, we'll get through this together!!!!!

~nelly~

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1251 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4222

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review