Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Any Diamond People out there...really need advice
      #247154 - 02/18/06 07:07 PM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Hey Guys,

Ok, so I'm hoping some of you guys are really into jewellery and know a thing or two about diamonds, because I could use some help.

I went to the jewellers today to have my Mom's ring turned into my engagement ring and we rang into a small problem. Apparently the large diamond in my Mom's ring (which we were going to turn into a solitare) has a small inclusion in it. I don't personally care about that because it's not visible to the naked eye and I still think it's a beautiful diamond, but the jeweller said it raised a potential problem in changing the ring. Basically, she said it looked like the inclusion was in the center of the diamond, but that she couldn't be 100% certain that it wasn't touching any of the edges because she couldn't get a good view of the bottom of the diamond. She said that if it was touching an edge, it could potentially cause a problem when the pop the diamond out to put it in its new setting. She said 99% of the time it's no problem, but the potential exists that the diamond could chip or explode, so she wanted to tell me.

That totally scared me! So, she recommended getting the ring appraised as is, so that I can get it insured before we change it. That just seems kinda silly to me because it's $50 to have the appraisal done, then do all the insurance paperwork, just to have the ring insured for like 2 weeks and then have a completely new ring appraised and insured.

What would you guys do? I think I'll call my insurance company and see if that kind of damage would even be covered...because it occurred to me that they might not cover damage that occurred while trying to change the ring.

Anyways, any advice would be appreciated, I had never even heard of an inclusion before so I'm way over my head here.

Edit to add: I finally got a better picture of the ring if that makes a difference to anyone...you can see it here: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v339/Vicam7/beforering26.jpg
Thanks!
Kelly

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Any Diamond People out there...really need advice new
      #247158 - 02/18/06 07:29 PM
JLL24

Reged: 09/23/04

Hi Kelly,

I had never heard that inclusions can cause the diamond to shatter when they take it out. That sounds kind of odd to me. An inclusion is basically an imperfection or birthmark in the diamond. All diamonds have some inclusions and the number of inclusions affects the clarity of the diamond. Spence Diamonds has a diamond education section on their website so you can check it out if you want for more information www.spencediamonds.com
I don't see why the diamond wouldn't be ok if they changed the setting, many women have to have their diamonds remounted on their engagement rings after they've been married many years. My Grandma told me she had to have hers reset after 30 yrs. Just make sure you go to a reputable jeweller.
Good luck, the stone is very beautiful
Have you set a date yet?
Jenn

#247166 - 02/18/06 08:45 PM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

Wow! That's a GORGEOUS ring!

I'm not a diamond expert, though I got bombarded with it to death when DH and I went ring-shopping. Every time a salesperson said, "Now, let me tell you about the 4 C's", you couldn't stop them. Even if you said, "Yes, I've heard it somewhere else," THEY KEEP GOING. It's like they have pressed "The 4 C's Lecture" button and there is no way to stop it.

An inclusion is a blemish and it DOES signify a weakness in the diamond, so what she says sounds likely. Particularly the fact that 99% of the time it isn't a problem.

I think that calling your insurance company is a good idea, and if they do cover that kind of accident, I personally would go ahead and insure it. I guess it's kind of hard to tell exactly from the picture, but that looks like a big diamond that would be really expensive to replace. It'd be worth the hassle.

I love the idea that you're using your mom's ring and making it into something special of your own. My oldest sister was handed down my great-grandmother's wedding set, and I wore it on my right hand during my wedding for my "something old" -- so cool to have stuff like that!

Let us know how it goes. Even if your insurance company won't cover it, try not to stress too much because odds are it is very unlikely that the diamond will get damaged.

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

#247174 - 02/18/06 09:23 PM
gigi

Reged: 03/21/04
Loc: South Texas

Kelly,
That is a beautiful ring! The diamond is so pretty, I am a round cut lover...it is the best cut for color and clarity.
Personally, I don't think the diamond is at risk. What would worry me more is having it switched while the stone is to be remounted. There has to be a way of marking it so you know you are getting your stone. If not, ask if they have a microscope so you can look into it. The people who sell the Hearts On Fire diamonds, have to have the huge microscopes so you can see the laser etched ID number on the outside edge of the diamond. If it were me, I would find a HOF jewler, and ask them to help you identify it.

Also, get a second opinion about the sensitivity of this diamond. You might get the same response, and you might get something totally different.

I was in the DR. office one day, and the women working there were talking about diamond they had had switched while leaving the ring to be re-sized or cleaned. I just couldnt believe my ears, that was 5 women all saying it had happend to them, and they knew others that were in the same boat. Just be careful, I know this ring means so much to you, and you don't want to loose your stones.

I have a ring that is insured, I am thinking about selling it because of the 5 years of money I have put into insurance. Here I go rambling on about myself, but I want to give you some other things to be thinking about.

Do whatever you have to do to make yourself comfortable taking care of this stone. If you feel you have to insure it, then do so.After all, it is yours!

Good Luck, I can't wait to see it in its new mounting.

Sure! Here's mine :) new
      #247198 - 02/19/06 08:46 AM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

I wouldn't worry about it. The diamond will be fine if you are just changing settings, not getting it recut or anything.

If you get a chance, get your diamond mapped. It will show exactly what your diamond looks like (flaw included) so that if you get your ring cleaned or insured later on, you can be sure it is your diamond that you'll get back if it's lost or stolen.

Back in the day, theiving jewelers could pop out a real stone and change it with a false one very quickly while they were "cleaning your ring" in the back of the store. It happened to our neighbor and they were able to call the police and prove that it was their stone in the jeweler's case in a necklace, and not in their ring.

What your jeweler is talking about almost never happens. I'd be surprised if it had even happened at that particular store! Don't pay extra for something you could do without, I say.

~nelly~

#247202 - 02/19/06 09:16 AM
TommyNY

Reged: 04/29/04

Get it insured. You can't go wrong. I had TIna insure her ring while she was living in Canada to be on the safe side. When you're making such a large investment, $50-75 is a small price to pay. If something goes wrong and you don't have the insurance the price to pay is much larger.

--------------------

#247203 - 02/19/06 09:34 AM
Portageegal

Reged: 06/28/05
Loc: Massachusetts

I wouldn't worry. The jeweler is probably just covering his a$$. Opal and emerald crack easily, but being that you can't even see the inclusion, it can't be much. Only perfect diamonds have no inclusions (carbon spots). Here is a chart that will show you that almost all diamonds have flaws. I just wish for you that you had a flawless one. LOL You'd be a rich lady. The ring is really nice looking, and you can always use ther gold and diamonds to have a pendant or even a wedding ring made. I have earrings from my mothers ring. It also wouldn't hurt to shop around for jewelers. Prices may differ and you also may have a better selections of mounts to choose from.
bosslady@oliver'sjeweleryandgift.com

aka

--------------------
Carol

nós somos o que nós somos e o descanso é merda

Carol new
      #247223 - 02/19/06 11:57 AM
Vicam

Hi Carol,

Yeah, the jeweller admitted that she was essentially just covering her bum, and that she would feel really bad if she didn't alert me to the possibility and it happened.

As for the ring, I want to save the gold band/setting for sentimental reasons, but I'm going to use all the small diamonds to make a wedding band And I wish it wasn't flawless as well...but honestly, there is just one mark and it's so tiny you can't see it at all to the naked eye

Tommy new
      #247224 - 02/19/06 11:58 AM
Vicam

Hey Tommy,

I probably will assuming the insurance company WOULD cover something like that...if they say they wouldn't then there really isn't any point. So step 1 is going to be to call them

Nelly new
      #247225 - 02/19/06 12:00 PM
Vicam

I totally feel the same as you, I loathe having to spend money on something that will most likely be entirely unnecessary ... but I'm also a huge worrier so who knows? They will be mapping the diamond when they pop the stone out, I can actually make an appointment and witness the woman doing it, appraising it, mapping it etc. before it gets sent away.

Thanks! new
      #247226 - 02/19/06 12:01 PM
Vicam

Thanks for the compliment on the ring I think it's gorgeous, blemish and all.

I'm going to try not to worry too much but I think IF the insurance company will cover it than I will get it insured just for piece of mind.

I guess it won't exactly count as something old once I've changed it, but I also have two bracelets and a beautiful diamond necklace of my Mom's that I will probably wear which should count as something old.

Jenn new
      #247227 - 02/19/06 12:03 PM
Vicam

Thanks for the information. I do have a very reputable jeweller...they are the best in London so I'm not too concerned there. And it's nice to hear of someone else who re-set a diamond without any problems

Nope, haven't set a date yet...we haven't figured out our budget yet (waiting on my Dad) so we can't really choose a venue because we don't know how much money we'll have. But I'll let you guys know when I do.

Gayla new
      #247228 - 02/19/06 12:06 PM
Vicam

Thanks for the information. I don't think we have any HOF jewellers in Canada, but I really trust this one. I have a friend whose Mom is really into expensive jewellery and she uses them all the time which is good enough for me. Plus, they've already let me look under the microscope, and they said I could come in and witness them taking out the diamond, look at the diamond again under the microscope (outside of the setting) and then take my ring home (with the little diamond) while they deal with the big one. That way when I get my ring back I just have to look at it again to make sure it's mine.

The fact that people would switch out diamonds disgusts me...that's truly terrible.

I'm still not 100% sure about insuring it beforehand...but once I'm done I will be insuring it because I'm clumsy and stuff so I wouldn't want anything to happen to it once I'm wearing it on a regular basis.

Kelly new
      #247229 - 02/19/06 12:10 PM
Portageegal

Reged: 06/28/05
Loc: Massachusetts

My father was a jeweler, I worked in jewelry store for 20 years, and I even had my own store for a while and I have never seen a flawless diamond. Maybe in my next life, huh?

--------------------
Carol

nós somos o que nós somos e o descanso é merda

Yep new
      #247268 - 02/19/06 04:20 PM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

Great idea to sit through the process! My mom showed me the map of her diamond in her engagement ring. It was a hand-me-down from her in-laws and she had a pretty significant flaw in it. But it makes the map all the cooler as you can see what they've drawn.

It drives me crazy paying for stuff like that!! I hope everything works out fine (I know it will!!).

~nelly~

Re:kelly new
      #247315 - 02/19/06 08:38 PM
gigi

Reged: 03/21/04
Loc: South Texas

that sounds like a good move to me. You have this all under control, it is going to be so beautiful once you have it reset, I can't wait to see the pics! I can't imagine having my moms diamond to set in a ring for myself. that touches my heart!

you are doing a great job with this wedding stuff Kelly!
I know so much of it is over whelming, you can handle it, I know you can!!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 283 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1749

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review