All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)
Here you go Kelly! new
      #246476 - 02/15/06 08:38 AM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

Yes, just pick and choose what info you need or want. There's lots of infothat only applies for ENORMOUS and super expensive weddings. lol

Your maid of honour or a bridesmaid is supposed to throw you a party. It can also be done by a family member though! I didn't have a bridal shower and it is a bit of a sore point for me. The two people in my bridal party are my 12 year old nice and Tommy's sister. So neither of them lived in Ottawa. But raelly, my fiends should have thrown one for me. Too late now to whine though!

I wouldn't throw one for yourslef. What you could do is hold a dinner at a restaurant and invite your friends/family and call it your engagement dinner. That isn't tacky.

Yes, people in the wedding party do pay for their own dresses, shoes and whatever else they need for the big day. You can tell them what you think is fair to pay though. I wouldn't go above $200 for a dress.

And yes again, you do buy them gifts to thank them for being in your wedding. These are typically given out at the rehearsal dinner if you have one. Or the day of the wedding. Typically, for women you buy jewellery or soemthing they can actually wear the day of the wedding. But that's not to say that you have to. Another popular option is a gift certificate to have their hair or makeup done, or a facial or massage.

Do you want them to be in the ceremony? You can have them there just as guests (who get to sit up front since they're family). Don't feel like you have to include them if you don't want to.

Ok, I hope I answered all your questions, feel free to ask me more!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Michele new
      #246489 - 02/15/06 09:21 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

HEHE! I say if you want foo-foo than you should have foo-foo!! Nothing wrong with that at all!

Its great that your Dad is willing to pay and both places you picked are beautiful!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Alicia new
      #246594 - 02/15/06 03:29 PM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Thanks for all the suggestions...I LOVE the idea of a donation to the Canadian Cancer Society in lieu of little party favors (I wouldn't have known what to put out anyways).

I posted in another post but will definately look into community centers. You said the Lamplighter was nice...have you ever been to a ceremony there? Or just a reception (or neither)? The ceremony part just seems a bit weird because guests can see you from their rooms...I guess it's a bit unique though!

Did you have to decorate the community center yourself? And could you have the ceremony there?

Thanks Tina new
      #246595 - 02/15/06 03:31 PM
Vicam

You're information was very helpful, I really appreciate it. I just wish Scott wasn't working so much right now so we could sit down and hammer out a guestlist because it's really hard to get things figured out price wise when we don't know how many people we are going to be inviting.

As for my Dad's fiance's kids...I think I wouldn't mind having them in the party...it would be a nice gesture and they are really nice kids and we photograph well together Plus, I don't have a lot of close friends so it's not like there are tons of people for me to choose from.

Well.... new
      #246597 - 02/15/06 03:33 PM
Vicam

My Dad's story keeps changing everyday..it would probably be better if I waited until after his wedding (April 22nd) to start talking about costs but if I wait that long we will have to have a winter wedding or wait until 2008 based on the availability of the places I really like.

I hope I can butter him up and get what I want...I'll definately be reasonable but I'm pretty fixated on a few things...and now he's talking about having Scott's parents go 50/50 with him and they can't afford that so I don't know what to do Gosh, I've been engaged 5 days and it's already a huge headache!

Where's your smiley face gona Sinead??? new
      #246609 - 02/15/06 04:17 PM
Natalie1985

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: UK - Leeds for uni, Merseyside for home!

I miss your profile pic....now where's it dissappeared to?? or is it just me who can't see one?

--------------------
Natalie

Re: Really missing my Mom and totally lost on the wedding planning... new
      #246644 - 02/15/06 10:17 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

The most important thing to remember is this is your wedding. It can be anywhere you want, any way, invite any one. Relax and look through books and talk to people and watch movies and look at anything else that will give you ideas. My husband and I eloped in Reno. We spent about $600 on everything (my dress included). We invited his brother and parents and that was it. It was so much fun and we just wanted to be married. We didn't care about all the fluff. I know that doesn't work for everyone though. But it was completely stress free. All we had to do was be there.

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

Re: Where's your smiley face gona Sinead??? new
      #246647 - 02/16/06 03:05 AM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

AWww thanks Nat!

I took it down AGES ago after a little paranoia about having things like that up here and when there was someone I knew that I wanted to recommend the site to. I might reinstate it for a little while, although I have piled on the pounds so it doesn't really look as much like me as it should anymore (working on it though )

--------------------
S.

Big hugs to you!!! I know the day will be super! new
      #246776 - 02/16/06 12:04 PM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

I just got back from a meeting planning session. I'm doing an event in October, and I wish I were planning a wedding instead!! I direct events for a living and although I've never done a wedding, I'd love to do one eventually (I have planned a couple of bachlor/ette parties, but that's different! ).

I am doing a grand reception/welcome social at the Army-Navy Club right next to the WHite House for the first night of the event. Should be cool!! I get to do the food tasting in a couple weeks, yum! Gonna stock up on the imodium for that one!!!!!!

There's another reception too in Georgetown on the waterfront, which should be niiiiice on the next night. I pointed it out to Brittany while she was visiting up in DC over the summer. I'm totally getting into the planning now because the actual event is in 8 months. Next I get to pick out welcome gifts for the attendees. I love my job today.

Good luck with all the details, and if you get hung up on anything, drop me a message anythime! I'm always hanging out in the Living Room! (I'll be napping on the sofa in front of the TV, lOL!)

~nelly~

Thanks Nelly, I appreciate it -nt new
      #246792 - 02/16/06 01:01 PM
Vicam

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1453 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5934

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review