All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
Amanda new
      #246353 - 02/14/06 04:24 PM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

I love the comment about my sister...you'd have to know her but telling her to suck it up would not work She's a sweetie don't get me wrong, but has serious anxiety issues and is in a new relationship and just lives in her own little world...I don't think she'd be much help even if she were trying unfortunately.

As for my future MIL, I think she might be really interested in helping out, my fiance is going to speak with her tonight about it. And I know that my Dad's fiance would love to be as involved as possible but I don't know her as well as my future MIL so I may be more comfortable with the MIL.

I did find one group specifically for London Brides which has been helpful, but it's very small and not very active which can be annoying...I like a nice active board! And I love your suggestion or "Weddings for Dummies"...that's totally what I need

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: It doesn't have to be expensive!!! new
      #246355 - 02/14/06 04:26 PM
Vicam

Thanks for the tips...you did do really well for your wedding...did you have a lot of guests? I think that's what is going to kill us...I don't need an expensive dress or flowers or things like that, but our guest list is going to be big thanks to my fiance having the world's largest family I do want something fancy though, but I don't think I'll use a wedding planner as I can probably find things cheaper on my own (I hope!)

Thanks Cailin new
      #246356 - 02/14/06 04:27 PM
Vicam

I know, I never thought that there would be so much to consider...I don't know how people plan a wedding on their own and continue with their regular lives...their just seems like their is so much to do.

I mentioned it in a reply to someone else but I did luck out and find a board for brides in London so that's been helpful, but it's a very small community so I'll definately try theknot.com too

Thanks! I'll check it out - nt new
      #246357 - 02/14/06 04:28 PM
Vicam

ahh, of course! new
      #246380 - 02/14/06 06:33 PM
_Willow

Reged: 04/06/05
Loc: Canada.

That wouldn't be too great, worrying about the flying.
And you know, in retrospect, i loved being able to party with all of the members of our five combined families and our friends.

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

One silly bit of advice new
      #246429 - 02/15/06 04:52 AM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

Do not plan a wedding and make a movie at the same time.
It'll help give you IBS. And it's just an insane thing to do.

Re: Thanks Cailin new
      #246431 - 02/15/06 05:06 AM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

Quote:

I don't know how people plan a wedding on their own and continue with their regular lives...

This is the thing..your regular life goes on hold when you are wedding planning. Every time you walk by a shop you will look in the window for something wedding related. It's an obsession. It's also a lot of fun when you are doing it, and at the same time a big relief when it's all over!

That's great about the local board, people will be able to recommend suppliers etc. Hubby and I are control freaks and we did almost all the planning ourselves. I got my sister and friend to organise my hen party (bachelorette) and I got my Mum to book the church as she is a friend of the priest. I got my brothers to do a lot of "fetching and carrying" the week running up to the wedding but apart from that we did it all ourselves, and that meant that the day really was "ours" in a very personal way.

Enjoy the planning, and remember that we are all here to help out!

--------------------
S.

not a problem... seems like I am doing a lot more weddings new
      #246433 - 02/15/06 05:29 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

and helping on a few others then planned... friends of mine eloped but I'm helping them with their reception too!

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Re: A few cost savin ideas.... new
      #246446 - 02/15/06 06:55 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

The Lamplighter is really nice. We had our reception at the Bayham Community Centre in Straffordville. It was a wholesome, home cooked meal that came out on platters family style. Nice relaxed atmosphere. We even had ice cream sundaes for dessert (I didn't of course). Anyway, you might want to look into community centres. They are often WAY less expensive and the food is home cooked. If I remember correctly, I think we paid 15$ a plate which included all pop and mix for drinks at the bar, AND the evening buffet.

Another idea - your Mom died of cancer right? Here's an idea - a friend of the family's Father died of cancer shortly before her wedding. So instead of wedding favours, each place had a small card saying that "in Lieu of party favours, a donation has been made on your behalf to the Canadian Cancer Society in Loving Memory of ...." I wish I had known that before my wedding. Who likes those silly little favours anyway? It would be a really nice touch to honour and remember your Mother. Just an idea.

My bridesmaids had their dresses made. They all picked out a pattern from Fabricland, we bought the fabric on sale and they made it themselves or had a dressmaker make it. The fabric cost $30 including tax.
I was just in a wedding this summer as a bridesmaid and we wore Alfred Angelo. The dress was over $300 plus $50 for alterations plus tax, plus shoes, hair and makeup made it an over $500 event for me. Plus a gift. Whew!

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

on that line.. new
      #246452 - 02/15/06 07:28 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

I had 2 bridesmaids... and 2 wedding colors.. I asked each of them to wear any dress in a color (different colors) then they looked great, and it was affordable for both.

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3248 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5721

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review