All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)
Here Kelly! new
      #246180 - 02/14/06 08:23 AM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

I'm planning a wedding too so tell me what you need to know?

Try the web sites:

www.theknot.com
www.weddingchannel.com
www.ewedding.com

I am so sorry your mom isn't there to help you. That's sad. But I agree that she's looking over you and is thrlled that you're engaged.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

a few things to think about: new
      #246182 - 02/14/06 08:30 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

time of year and type of venue and overall budget (get an idea before you start!

I had a 25K wedding here in town, my mom went way overboard and it was NOT what I wanted... but we are throwing Cassi's wedding for about 2k including dress- dress, undergarments, shoes, and fittings are about 1k, and her inlaws are providing food (she's a caterer) for about 3-400$, so overall budget is about 2400$, but thats still not huge! 50-60 expected guests in a park! ceremony in the same place as the reception, but very fancy attire and we are using nice tables and chairs... my wedding was at a fancy hall and had events all weekend long for LOTS of out of town guests.. If you need suggestions or help, I am sure I can help some from here... but I am not doing another entire wedding- this one in June is draining a lot of time and energy...

Amie in MI

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Kelly, since you're no martha Stewart, have you considered...... new
      #246274 - 02/14/06 12:49 PM
_Willow

Reged: 04/06/05
Loc: Canada.

going down to Cuba or mexico and getting married on the beach? Your honeymoon/wedding will be cheaper than a wedding here. I had a 100 person wedding in Edmonton, catered and very simple. Cost us $10,000 CDN all together.
plus, i am SO not the planning type.

if I'd have known about that option before our HONEYMOON in Cuba, I'd have gone that route. We went for a week to Varadero (I say Cuba because it's fairly quiet, not super touristy) and stayed in an all inclusive, and added a few things on, all for about $3000 incl. airfare. Totally worth it!

And if you want to add to that cost wise, you can fly family down. It'd def. be something I'd do if I had it to do over. wedding planning is VERy stressful. Trevor has only yelled at me once, and it was when MIL was taking over the show. My mom was almost ousted from my life for controlling every detail.

this way it's a nice tidy package, and it's all included, and THEY do all the work.

Hugs, and I know your mom's up there grinning.

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Definately not a Martha Stewart new
      #246311 - 02/14/06 02:09 PM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Hey Shannon,

Thanks for the suggestion...it's something that we had talked about except that I have an intense fear of flying that I doubt I would overcome in time. And really...I wouldn't enjoy it if I was hung up on the flying issue.

Plus, I've found two beautiful places here in London that offer all-inclusive packages that SEEM reasonably hassle-free...I don't know, depends what my Dad gives me for a budget I guess.

Re: a few things to think about: new
      #246346 - 02/14/06 04:06 PM
Vicam

Thank you for your suggestions and help...I appreciate it. I dont think I'd want a 25K wedding either...but I may be in the neighborhood of 10K...who knows? I think it'll come down to how much Scott and I can afford to contribute and how much his family could contribute...that way it's not all falling on my Dad. I may hit you up for some ideas though...if you don't mind

Thanks Tina! new
      #246347 - 02/14/06 04:14 PM
Vicam

Wow, theknot.com certainly has a lot of information doesn't it? Kinda blows the mind!

I don't know...a few of the things I'm struggling with are just etiquette issues...for example, if I want to have an engagement party/bridal shower, do I just have to hope that someone will throw one for me or do I ask someone? Or do I throw one for myself?

Also, do people in the wedding party pay for their own outfits and then you just get them gifts, or are you supposed to pay for the outfits?

Another thing I'm struggling with is whether to include my Dad's soon to be wife's children in the ceremony. They are nice kids...her daughter is 3 years younger than me and her son is only 1 year younger so I figured she could be a bridesmaid and him a groomsman...but I'm not sure about that either. It would be a nice way to include them and by the time we get married I will have been their step-sister (or whatever) for more than a year...but maybe they'd find it weird.

Ok, that actually seemed like a lot of questions (sorry!).

Kelly

Laurel new
      #246348 - 02/14/06 04:16 PM
Vicam

Thanks for the kind words. Sorry to hear about your Aunt...pancreatic cancer is nasty. Was she very old?

I love your idea of a tribute (another thing I had never thought of)...and I have some perfect pictures so that will be really nice.

Michele new
      #246349 - 02/14/06 04:19 PM
Vicam

I love how you refer to it as "foo-foo" ... that's perfect. And believe it or not, I think I want the foo-foo. In most aspects of my life I'm totally casual and everything but for this, I don't know, I guess I want the foo-foo (see my other post with pics of my 16th birthday).

However, that doesn't mean I feel the need to have the most expensive wedding either. I just want to be able to invite everyone I want (really dont' want to start picking and choosing) and have it be on a level with the previous weddings that have occurred in my family (reception with DJ and sit down 5 course meal or so).

As for how much I can spend...I really have no idea...my Dad has said he will pay but would like Scott's parents to contribute and we'd like to contribute too (I definately want to buy my own dress and bridesmaid's gifts).

So I guess I'll have to sit down with my Dad and Scott's parents and try and hammer something out

Re: Really missing my Mom and totally lost on the wedding planning... new
      #246350 - 02/14/06 04:20 PM
Vicam

Thank you very much for your offer to help...I will save your email and may take you up on that I've been browsing through theknot.com and it's pretty overwhelming. And I hope to start looking at reception sites this weekend

Re: Really missing my Mom and totally lost on the wedding planning... new
      #246351 - 02/14/06 04:22 PM
Vicam

Thanks for all the tips! Yeah, I think we must live in a fairly expensive city because I've been calling around and things are pretty pricey...starting to wonder whether we should go back to our hometown for the wedding as I imagine it would be cheaper (but not nearly as conveinant for all the out of town guests - of which there are many).

And thanks for mentioning the flowers...I think that may actually be a place where I can save some money because I'm not much of a flower person either AND I have really bad allergies so I'd be ok going with fake flowers (as long as people don't consider that tacky or something)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1491 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5934

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review