All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
support...
      #236094 - 01/05/06 06:14 PM
Aly

Reged: 08/16/04
Loc: Columbus, Ohio

Hi there. I'm posting after a little meltdown this evening. I have had the apst 2 weeks off because of the holidays and it has been fantastic. I have really struggled to get my belly on track, and I guess I assumed it magically would be healed in 2 weeks (even thoguh it's been years!) So tonight I realized I MUST go to work tomorrow. I just lost it. I'm so nervous about it. I have been going to a therapist, so I can now try to stop those negative thoughts. I also should get the hypnosis tapes within a few days. But as for the next 3 days of work, I am nervous. Deep down, I know I can make it, but it's scary. I am so much mroe comfortable at home in my own place with my own bathroom... does anyone have any suggestions about how to begin to calm myself down? I took a bath and had a cup of mint tea...I'm much calmer, but in my head I am so worried about getting an attack there. My work isn't exactly easy--I'm at a science museum where I run around all day and play with kids. I even put on a few shows...so I'm nervous and knew my IBS friends understand. It's been rough, but reading all of your posts really help. I know I am not alone...any hugs would be greatly aprpeciated! Thanks...

--------------------
IBS-A

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: support... new
      #236101 - 01/05/06 06:28 PM
hawkeye

Reged: 06/16/03
Loc: NYC

I'd do 2 things (at least!). Is there one person who you can count on to relieve you if you need to run to the bathroom for a few minutes? I would feel better just knowing that I had an escape plan. They don't have to know your whole ibs story, non-ibsers also go to the bathroom and sometimes worry about whether they will be able to get there when they need to - so its not an outrageous request.
THe other thing I would do, is the same as my little daughter does - bring some comfort objects with you - for her its her pacifier and blanky but I would have your own tea mug and tea bags and maybe a microwave heatpack at work as well as any rx that you should have on hand. A sort of safety kit. I try to be prepared for things like that so I can hopefully worry about the possibilities less. We've all been there!

--------------------
Ladies & gentlemen take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

#236107 - 01/05/06 06:40 PM
Aly

Thanks...I had to laugh though, because earlier as I was curled up in my hot pink sparkley blanket I just never wanted to leave it...I wish I could take it! But, tea and my purple mug would be great. Thanks for the ideas... and yes, I trust a few people there that know I've had some "belly troubles" so I bet they'd be willing to help out. Thanks! "I CAN DO THIS" has become my mantra tonight...

--------------------
IBS-A

#236138 - 01/06/06 01:58 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Sounds like you've got a plan!

A safety kit was an essential for me when I was unstable and working. Just knowing I had all my stuff at hand if needed stopped some of the anxiety.

Good luck.

#236177 - 01/06/06 06:57 AM
Aly

Well I'm off to work...with a rumbly belly (I'm sure its almost ALL nerves...It should be a good day...I get to do one of the little theatre shows...its pretty funny and the kids love it. So here's to Day 1... wish me luck and send me happy, calm belly thoughts!!!

--------------------
IBS-A

#236450 - 01/07/06 08:38 AM
Aly

just one more thing to add....
I am at work again today. I got through yesterday, but I had one little meltdown in the morning hours. When my belly starts the rumbles I get so incredibly nervous... SO I gave in and took half of a xanax and felt worlds better. today has been rough too. I am not sitting down for a half hour just to calm myself and breath. They are super supportive, but I hate saying the words "oh, I'm just not feeling great again.." I feel like this belly is defining me and it's driving me crazy. I know I can make it all through, but I am so sick of this stuff... I work Sunday as well, but Monday I have off--sort of. I have to take the GREs for grad school in the afternoon. blech. I need a vacation to a nice warm tropical place with no work and no bellyaches--anyone want to join me?:)

--------------------
IBS-A

#236452 - 01/07/06 08:46 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I'll come! I was just telling my co-worker this same thing. I'm glad your able to get yourself to work. I know it get old saying the old "tummy hurts today" report when people ask you how you are feeling. Maybe we should make buttons to where so we don't have to keep explaining saying this.

I'm tired of my belly defining who I am too. I am no longer Beth...I seem to be the GI mess!

Good luck on your GRE. What are you going to grad school for? How long has it been since you've been in college? Or are you a senior now?

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

#236467 - 01/07/06 10:36 AM
Aly

Thanks Beth,
I have had a better afternoon so far...but I jsut ate lunch, so who knows what'll happen!
anyway, I graduated from college last June...My boyfriend and I decided to take a year off together so that we could live together and enjoy a year of school free life. It's been great. The GRE's are going to be horrible...I've spent my breaks today looking over stuff, and since I haven't had math in 4 years I am just going to do my best. Strange--this test isn't stressing me out, but everything else in my life seems to...
I always read your posts to see your updates on gluten stuff... I went to a new doc and told him my whole long saga...he said without a positive biopsy it is really unlikly and I should keep eating wheat. I feel no better on or off, so I will keep my crackers! My surgeon also told me with all of the inflamation he found that it can give false positives for some of the tests...weird, huh?
Well, thanks for the support...and we really should fly to cancun for a week! (even without sipping on pina coladas!)

--------------------
IBS-A

Aly, I don't know you too well... new
      #236488 - 01/07/06 12:07 PM
_Willow

Reged: 04/06/05
Loc: Canada.

but I am sending out hugs. Are you new to IBS? It was really daunting to me at first too, and I promise it does get better. And the diet makes you feel so good.

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

#236498 - 01/07/06 12:41 PM
Augie

Ah, thanks for thinking about me with the GF news! As you can tell, I'm still on the fence with this one...as I am with whether or not to get this gallbladder removed. Aaaare you still glad you decided to remove it? Did you get the D afterwards? I'm not sure if you are a D or a C!

I want to go back to school, but I have to take the GRE and it's been so long since I had math! I don't know if the prep book would be helpful enough. And this test does stress me out!!!! Plus, I'm not sure how I can go back to school and work to support myself and pay the rent. I don't do well with stress! Would have been easier if I had gone back when I was still living at home. I don't want to have to take out a lot of loans either...but don't see any other way.

What do you want to get your Masters degree in? I love hearing about what other people are studying!

Hope your day is going well...or at least tolerable for you. Hopefully, it will get better as you see you are able to make it to work each day...maybe lessen your stress. Keep us updated!

--------------------
~ Beth

#236568 - 01/07/06 06:40 PM
Aly

HI Beth...
OK, so many questions to answer for you. First of all, I am SO glad I had my gallbladder out. All of the symptoms with nausea and intense right side pain and all is GONE. I love that... I have a feeling my IBS is still here b/c of 7 years with a bad gallbladder and all. And, I was SO worried about getting D after surgery. I am a bigtime C...and guess what? still am...I am in the process of debating miralax again...I want to try, but right after surgery I gave it a go and had horrible cramping and pains..so we'll see!
As for GRE and grad school stuff...I am trying to get either an MFA or MA in Educational Theatre (pretty much to work in the educational department of a children's theatre somewhere!)....so the GRE is mainly a technicality...ya know?
Thanks for all of the support! Hope you're doing well!~

--------------------
IBS-A

Re: Aly, I don't know you too well... new
      #236570 - 01/07/06 06:41 PM
Aly

Thanks for the hugs! I was diagnosed with IBS 7 yrs ago...then celiac disease, then got my gallbaldder out...and now its ALL back to the basic IBS diagnosis without a non-functioning gallbladder...so I am trying to get back on track after surgery a few months ago...and it's been tougher than I thought, so all comfort is appreciated!

--------------------
IBS-A

#236584 - 01/07/06 09:29 PM
_Willow

Well, I'm here to support you. I'm definitely on the "seaside" of IBS as well, though sometimes I can be an A, I'm usually a C!

I know it can be a tough go without a gallbladder, but better than with one! Now you HAVE to be a good girl!
And I'll support you in it!

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

I am so there! new
      #236586 - 01/07/06 09:31 PM
_Willow

Do you know someone who's dying to watch a really bright, really rambunctious three year old too? That's a vaca in itself!

What are you in grad school for, you big brain, you? I'm hoping to go back after a few years teaching to get a masters in Ed. Psych and become a school counsellor and eventually a child psychologist.

But hey, we all have dreams!

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Duh! Canadian out of the loop here.... new
      #236587 - 01/07/06 09:35 PM
_Willow

What's a GRE?
And isn't math evil? I had to take a university level stats course (lol, the lowest level you can take-and almost failed) just to be able to take a university course on math curriculum for elementary so I could teach elementary math. How stupid is that?!

Why don't we have a "dumb" smiley?

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Aly, I love you guys! new
      #236588 - 01/07/06 09:37 PM
_Willow

I love that educational childrens theatre stuff. Are you more hoping to do the production side or the acting? Or set or designing, etc.... I had a good friend who was a play producer, and did kids plays. I've never seen one that I didn't think the actors must have fun with all the lil kids every day.....

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

#236629 - 01/08/06 08:31 AM
Aly

Thanks for all of the posts! I really appreciate it. Yes, it can be tough, but I am doing as much as I can to get myself stable! As for the Theatre stuff--I would love to do mroe of the directing side. I grew up acting and singing, and still love it, but really would love to "be in charge"...hahaha! Anyway, back to work...then 2 days off! Yay!

--------------------
IBS-A

GRE= Graduate Record Examination new
      #236634 - 01/08/06 09:02 AM
Augie

It's a test that is usually required before applying for a graduate program. The scores help determine whether you get admissions, scholarships, etc. You know, little things like that!

There's a lot of algebra and geometry on it...which means you're in trouble if you've been out of school for a while. Who remembers what you knew in HS math classes?

--------------------
~ Beth

Something tells me new
      #236684 - 01/08/06 01:38 PM
_Willow

that with a master's you may have a shot at the director's chair someday, LOL!

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Aly, how are things now?? *hugs* n-t new
      #236707 - 01/08/06 02:33 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Thank you...I've been demystified, as Mel Levine says(phd in pediatric neurodevelopment.) new
      #236796 - 01/08/06 07:47 PM
_Willow

And whoa, WHO CARES what we learned in HS math? It took me 5 courses to get through the 3 courses of regular math, but then I did advanced English and Social,LOL Like, I have 142 IQ, but it's just a 12 IQ in Math,LMBO!

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

GRE IS TODAY!!! new
      #236884 - 01/09/06 09:11 AM
Aly

From 4-7, I will be sitting at a computer attempting to recall of this stupid high school math, verbal stuff, and essay writing...Wish me luck!!!!!!

--------------------
IBS-A

Good luck! It's not that bad, my worst was vocab!!!--nt new
      #236886 - 01/09/06 09:13 AM
epa_ginger

Reged: 02/23/05
Loc: Chicago, IL

--------------------

DONE! new
      #236983 - 01/09/06 05:07 PM
Aly

Well, I finished the GRE...it was really tough, but I did pretty average. So, yay for being done...and my belly made it through. I was nervous, but did it...and that's a huge accomplishment for me...now I can start my hypnosis tapes tonight!

--------------------
IBS-A

HOORAY!! new
      #236998 - 01/09/06 05:30 PM
_Willow

You, my dear, will knock em dead! That belly may actually be a reason you're that darn good, you know!!I believe we IBSers bury so much of our stress in our tummies, so that we can free our brains for cognitive things!(ok, that sounded really stupid for a genius IQ person to say.) What else would we use it for? Playing hockey on the kitchen floor? Can you tell i hardly slept last night??

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Congrats!-nt new
      #237010 - 01/09/06 06:12 PM
epa_ginger

Reged: 02/23/05
Loc: Chicago, IL

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 808 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4009

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review