All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
Mommy Duty
      #221160 - 10/25/05 11:11 AM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

My Mom is having knee replacement surgery today (25th)....so I will go to the hospital after work today and the 26th, 27th I'm with PT Heather, 28th hospital, 29th PT Heather, cousins 18th bday party, hospital or Mom & Dad's if they let her go home. 30th - 4th I (probably not Shane due to the cat and his commute to work would suck) will be staying at Mom & Dad's.... I will not be going home at all or to my normal gym (might get to stop at another on a few days?). But I will work with PT Heather on the 3rd downtown. 5th I will work with PT Heather in the morning and hopefully be done with Mommy duty... but not sure... I may end up there again starting the 7th?

My Sister will be taking the 25th & 26th off of work to take her to the hospital and stay there to talk with Dr. etc. and going to the hospital after work on the 27th & 28th and will be the one to bring her home hopefully on the 29th. Then she has month end for work which means she would already be working 10-12 hour days and her office is about 30 mins further away from Mom & Dad's then mine is...so it makes sense that I be the one to stay during the week.

Oh, and I don't know how much time I will be on the computer during this time in the evening.... they only have dial up and it is SLOW... don't know how well I will handle that.....LOL.. but I will have my computer at work.

The thing I HATE the most..... is being without Shane at bedtime..... I will have to pre-pack his lunches and have all his dinners figured out and pills in little baggies....teach him how much coffee grounds and water to put in the machine... I know he is a big boy.... but he is so used to me doing all of this for him.... awww.... married life!! lol

I feel good that I'm able to do this for my Mom... don't get me wrong.... I'm NOT COMPLAINING... just letting ya all know I'm gonna be busy and not on my normal routine.

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Mommy Duty new
      #221165 - 10/25/05 11:27 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I'm giggling a little because I do the same thing for Adam when I have to go away for more than a day without him... have lunch food ready to go, leave little notes to remind him to take pills, etc etc. I don't feel so weird now knowing that someone else does all that stuff for their other half!

Anyway, I'll be thinking of your mom & sending all kinds of good wishes for a quick recovery!

#221168 - 10/25/05 11:30 AM
Shell Marr

Sister just called... Mom is in recovery now for about an hour...then she will go to her own room. Everything went well, took a little longer then they thought... but no problems!

--------------------

#221175 - 10/25/05 11:47 AM
Janey

Reged: 10/25/03
Loc: Maryland

Shell,

I wish your Mother good luck with her surgery. It is nice that you will be able to help her out. A change in routine is always difficult but especially for those with IBS.

Shane will appreciate you more when you get back.

--------------------
Janey

#221181 - 10/25/05 12:09 PM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

Ahhh, good for you for taking care of your Mom. You are a sweet daughter to do that! And Shane will survive by himself. This will be good for him. He'll realize how much you do for him each day!

#221188 - 10/25/05 12:22 PM
bamagirl

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Alabama

Shell, I hope your mom does well with this surgery. My dad recently went through this, and although it was very successful, I was not prepared to see my dad in that much pain. It is unlike anything else painwise according to others I know who have also been through this. I thought I'd tell you to just be prepared mentally, because I had to leave the room when the physical therapist came to work with him. I just could not stand it! He would almost pass out, the guy would stop, then as soon as he regained a little color...back at it!! It was just rough!

My dad is still doing his excercises over a year later, but he is walking much better and the pain is nothing compared to what it was prior to surgery. I will remember her and you and sister too as you care for her. I hope it all goes well.

--------------------
God is Faithful!

P.S. new
      #221190 - 10/25/05 12:26 PM
bamagirl

I'm just like you when I leave hubby...meals prepared ect...everyone in our family teases me about it! I think Atomic Rose said the same! We IBS ladies know how to spoil our men!!

And I wasn't trying to be negative in my original post, but I was just not prepared to see my parent in such pain. It was hard for me. Dad is doing great and is glad to have had the surgery. However, the same surgeon is after him to do the other knee and he just politely says, "No thank you."

--------------------
God is Faithful!

#221197 - 10/25/05 12:38 PM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I hope your mom is up and running around in no time!!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#221282 - 10/25/05 09:44 PM
Shell Marr

Just got home from the hospital.... they just changed her pain meds cuz the morphine was making her sick to her tummy....so now they are trying vicodine. They will bring in the traction so she can get her leg up. She has not eaten anything yet... the Jell-O made her sick and she tried a few ice chips but no go.... hopefully the vicodin with settle her tummy and they will try to get her to eat some graham crackers.

She will start physical theraphy sometime tomorrow....that should be the hardest days I'm thinking... .

I will go see her after work....

My poor Mommy.....

--------------------

#221362 - 10/26/05 09:02 AM
Shell Marr

Quote:

I'm giggling a little because I do the same thing for Adam when I have to go away for more than a day without him... have lunch food ready to go, leave little notes to remind him to take pills, etc etc. I don't feel so weird now knowing that someone else does all that stuff for their other half!

Anyway, I'll be thinking of your mom & sending all kinds of good wishes for a quick recovery!

Thanks Casey... you made me laugh too...

I have not talked to Mommy yet this morning....

--------------------

#221368 - 10/26/05 09:10 AM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

Aww - hope everything goes okay for your mommy, Shelley! Next time I'll send Mike up there to hang out with Shane, and hope they don't get into too much trouble.

Keep us updated!

--------------------
- Jennifer

#221391 - 10/26/05 10:08 AM
Shell Marr

Quote:

Shell,

I wish your Mother good luck with her surgery. It is nice that you will be able to help her out. A change in routine is always difficult but especially for those with IBS.

Shane will appreciate you more when you get back.

Thanks Janey... it was kinda fun to see Mom "High" on the meds...LOL

Shane was so cute when I got home.... like he had not seen me in a week! LOL

--------------------

#221453 - 10/26/05 12:43 PM
Shell Marr

Mommy just called,.... she was able to eat this morning....had physical therapy and is sitting up in a chair... the said the physical therapy was very painful, but she will DO IT!!

I will go see her after work......

--------------------

You're such a good daughter! new
      #221463 - 10/26/05 12:58 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Hope mom continues to improve and do well!

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

#221475 - 10/26/05 01:17 PM
Shell Marr

Quote:

Ahhh, good for you for taking care of your Mom. You are a sweet daughter to do that! And Shane will survive by himself. This will be good for him. He'll realize how much you do for him each day!

Thanks!!

Yes, Shane's words were...."Ya know.....I'm pretty helpless without you" I said, "I know...I planned it that way..." LOL

--------------------

#221483 - 10/26/05 01:31 PM
Shell Marr

Quote:

Shell, I hope your mom does well with this surgery. My dad recently went through this, and although it was very successful, I was not prepared to see my dad in that much pain. It is unlike anything else painwise according to others I know who have also been through this. I thought I'd tell you to just be prepared mentally, because I had to leave the room when the physical therapist came to work with him. I just could not stand it! He would almost pass out, the guy would stop, then as soon as he regained a little color...back at it!! It was just rough!

My dad is still doing his excercises over a year later, but he is walking much better and the pain is nothing compared to what it was prior to surgery. I will remember her and you and sister too as you care for her. I hope it all goes well.

PS
I'm just like you when I leave hubby...meals prepared ect...everyone in our family teases me about it! I think Atomic Rose said the same! We IBS ladies know how to spoil our men!!

And I wasn't trying to be negative in my original post, but I was just not prepared to see my parent in such pain. It was hard for me. Dad is doing great and is glad to have had the surgery. However, the same surgeon is after him to do the other knee and he just politely says, "No thank you."

Thank you for your words of advise...... I told my sister that this was going to be very hard on us... Kandee told me a little about this too.... and has tried to prepare me for it. I think she will be good while at the hospital... but once we get her home.... and she is not on round the clock pain meds... things will change I think? But maybe not.... Mom said, "I've endured A LOT of pain in my days.... I will just HAVE TO DO THIS!!" She also has Lupus, Connective Tissue Decease, & Arthritis .... so yes, she has had her fair share of pain over the years.

We will help her......

--------------------

#221488 - 10/26/05 02:29 PM
Angela E.

Reged: 10/14/04
Loc: Michigan

Shell glad to hear that your mom's surgery went well. My grandma whose 78 just had her knee replaced two weeks ago and she is doing great! My MIL had her hip replaced 3 weeks ago and that is going a little slower. It is weird how the older one is doing better than the younger, but my MIL has a lot of health issues and my grandma is pretty healthy for and older lady. Anyways... I hope things continue to get better. And you should tell Shane that he could practice making some of those IBS recipes for you while you are away. Since I know you are always cooking for him!! LOL

#221490 - 10/26/05 02:51 PM
Shell Marr

Quote:

I hope your mom is up and running around in no time!!

HEHEHE....Yes, up and running around like your gonna be Michele in about 2 years... after your twins!! LOL

--------------------

#221538 - 10/26/05 10:06 PM
Shell Marr

Just got home from the hospital... Mommy is hurting more tonight then last night... her stomach muscles hurt from pulling herself up and trying lift her leg.... the leg is painful.... but she is a tough cookie!! She was REALLY hungry at dinner...but her chicken was dry and her soup was gross.... (hospital food)... she did eat most of it anyway...and she got a cookie which she loved!! Brought her a teddy bear that she was sleeping with when I left. She has a great staff there to help her... oh, I don't know if I mentioned this part or not... but she had the surgery done at the same hospital that she has worked at for over 30 years!! She had to do it there due to insurance... kinda pissed her off...cuz now her co-workers (she works graveyard) are the ones seeing her butt and are there to help her in and out of commode or soon to the toilet...and to hear and smell her fart...LOL Poor Mommy....she really is shy.... and very bloated tonight... she is embarrassed to let out the wind... I told her while I was there to just blame it on me!! hehehe

--------------------

#221539 - 10/26/05 10:18 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Quote:

Just got home from the hospital... Mommy is hurting more tonight then last night... her stomach muscles hurt from pulling herself up and trying lift her leg.... the leg is painful.... but she is a tough cookie!! She was REALLY hungry at dinner...but her chicken was dry and her soup was gross.... (hospital food)... she did eat most of it anyway...and she got a cookie which she loved!! Brought her a teddy bear that she was sleeping with when I left. She has a great staff there to help her... oh, I don't know if I mentioned this part or not... but she had the surgery done at the same hospital that she has worked at for over 30 years!! She had to do it there due to insurance... kinda pissed her off...cuz now her co-workers (she works graveyard) are the ones seeing her butt and are there to help her in and out of commode or soon to the toilet...and to hear and smell her fart...LOL Poor Mommy....she really is shy.... and very bloated tonight... she is embarrassed to let out the wind... I told her while I was there to just blame it on me!! hehehe

Your poor mom! I hope she recovers quickly and doesn't feel too embarrassed about her coworkers seeing her in this condition. I think the hospital is one place I wouldn't feel bad about passing gas. Does she have her own room?

Anyway, she's lucky to have you around, helping her out. I'm sure you make her smile and help her relax. Take care, Shell!

#221564 - 10/27/05 08:02 AM
MissS

Reged: 02/11/04

Hi Shell,
My daughter's mil had knee surgery about a year ago, and she is doing wonderfully now. The recovery was painful, but well worth it. She can get around now like you wouldn't believe. And, she has much more energy. Your Mom is so lucky to have you.
Hugs to you and Mom both!
Terri

#221566 - 10/27/05 08:21 AM
Shell Marr

Quote:

Aww - hope everything goes okay for your mommy, Shelley! Next time I'll send Mike up there to hang out with Shane, and hope they don't get into too much trouble.

Keep us updated!

Thanks Jen!

There will be a next time too.... i'm sure she will have the other knee done too.

Oh, Shane & Mikey alone in Seattle = TROUBLE!!

--------------------

Re: You're such a good daughter! new
      #221567 - 10/27/05 08:23 AM
Shell Marr

Quote:

Hope mom continues to improve and do well!

Thanks Beth!

--------------------

#221633 - 10/27/05 03:37 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Shell,

I pray everything will be okay and even better than that!

I can def understand that it will be ROUGH being away from hubby *hugs* and pre-packing lunches, etc.! I can't even IMAGINE what you're going through! You are a WONDERFUL daughter, wife, and friend...and we love you oodles! Take care of yourself too though, ok?

Love you lots!

Ruch

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#221801 - 10/28/05 10:01 AM
Shell Marr

Mommy is coming home from the hospital today!! WWooohhooo.... she is doing really good. She was able to have a BM and go pee on her own after the cath came out. She walked the hall with her little walker!!

My Sister is with her now getting her ready to go soon. I will go see her at her house after work....

--------------------

#221904 - 10/28/05 04:41 PM
Shell Marr

Mommy is HOME!!

I have to stop and buy her a sit up pillow with arm rests after work.... and take it to her.....

Sister is staying with her tonight......

I'll keep ya posted....

--------------------

#222251 - 10/31/05 08:38 AM
Shell Marr

Last night was my first over night Mommy duty....

Momma was really hurting last night... she is now taking her pain meds every 4 hours instead of 6. Increasing her CPM machine from 55 to 60 was really hard on her and she was too painful to go back into the machine again.

Continuous passive motion (CPM) machine
The operated leg may be placed in a continuous passive motion (CPM) machine to help bend and straighten the knee. This helps prevent pain and stiffness, and reduces the build up of scar tissue around the knee joint.

Also the Ace wrap was too light after about 4 hours they came off for about 40 mins then I put them back on but not so tight. She was dizzy and sick to her tummy....maybe cutting off the circulation? She was up every couple of hours to pee (rain in the gutter did not help).

She was sleeping when I left and Dad will get her breakfast so she can take her pain pills by 9am and he will put her in the CPM machine before he leaves between 9:30-10am and then her girlfriend Lynn will be there around 11am and I think will stay until Dad gets back in the early afternoon. Dad will be there until I get there.... I might need to stop at the hospital and pick up more of her shots on the way over there since they shorted her one days dose.

Shane made himself Mac & Cheese last night for dinner and was bored.... he managed to get himself off to work this morning...and will not have a problem getting meals today since it is a combo of Halloween and Month End at the office and his company always brings in lots of food for that.

OK.... I better get to work myself.....I'm not feeling too tip top myself... have been having an attack since about 2pm Sunday... and got about a total of 45 mins sleep last night....

--------------------

That machine is rough! new
      #222288 - 10/31/05 12:03 PM
bamagirl

I'm glad you are taking care of your mom, but oh, what awful times my dad had with that machine! How in the world do they expect them to sleep in those things!!!???? But they keep telling us how vital it was, and supposed to keep the new knee from locking up...

I sure feel for you! You and mom hang in there!!! It WILL get better!!

--------------------
God is Faithful!

Big hugs for Shell! new
      #222326 - 10/31/05 01:45 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Wow, you're amazing. Don't forget to take care of youself...or you won't be able to take care of anyone else!

Re: That machine is rough! new
      #222328 - 10/31/05 01:47 PM
Shell Marr

Quote:

I'm glad you are taking care of your mom, but oh, what awful times my dad had with that machine! How in the world do they expect them to sleep in those things!!!???? But they keep telling us how vital it was, and supposed to keep the new knee from locking up...

I sure feel for you! You and mom hang in there!!! It WILL get better!!

I know.... it is really hard to HEAR her, when I know she is hurting. I feel for her big time.....she was doing to well too... then we increased it and then ouchy boo boo again.... we will get her there!!

--------------------

Re: Big hugs for Shell! new
      #222329 - 10/31/05 01:51 PM
Shell Marr

Quote:

Wow, you're amazing. Don't forget to take care of youself...or you won't be able to take care of anyone else!

Thanks Linz.... I know...I have to be careful... just strange suroundings, not my bed, and they have an indoor cat that was active ALL NIGHT long.... hacking up fur balls and all!!! LOL Maybe after all the trick or treaters are done...I can sneak a piece of candy to feel better...hehehe But I will be careful... last night I just had soup, crakers, & fennel tea... today just water, fennel tea, & 2 mini luna bars... I will have a sandwich at lunch in about 45 mins..that will help...

--------------------

#222331 - 10/31/05 01:55 PM
BarbaraS

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: Wisconsin

I'm glad Shell you all are taking turns caring for your mom. It is very nice of you all to pitch in, because I hate seeing patients without any family or friends come visit during their stay at the hospital.

Well wishes for your mom for a speedy recovery!!!!

#222332 - 10/31/05 01:56 PM
Shell Marr

Quote:

I'm glad Shell you all are taking turns caring for your mom. It is very nice of you all to pitch in, because I hate seeing patients without any family or friends come visit during their stay at the hospital.

Well wishes for your mom for a speedy recovery!!!!

Thanks Barb.... you too with your foot.... you've got great kids to help you too!

--------------------

#222633 - 11/01/05 05:18 PM
Jeano

Reged: 03/20/04
Loc: USA

Shell,
Prayers going out to you, your mom and your family. Take care of yourself.
Let us know how your mom is doing.
Shelby

Shell!! new
      #222660 - 11/01/05 09:24 PM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

I am so sorry I missed this earlier!

That machine sure does look awful. I think recovering from those surgeries is just a nightmare. My best friend has had several hip surgeries, so I know some of the really bizarre thing you have to do afterwards (my friend was in casts on her legs that kept them apart at a 90 degree angel! ).
Anyway, I really hope that your mom starts feeling better soon and the pain at least wears off a little. I can imagine she is really uncomfortable and having a hard time sleeping, that sounds so awful.

You're a very good daughter for taking such good care.. but you need to get your rest too, lady! You need to take good care of yourself too! *shakes her finger at you* tsk tsk!

I hope both you AND your mom are feeling better soon and everybody gets some sleep!!

Let us know how everyone is doing, I am thinkin' about you!

**hugs**
--Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

#222835 - 11/02/05 04:10 PM
Shell Marr

Quote:

Shell,
Prayers going out to you, your mom and your family. Take care of yourself.
Let us know how your mom is doing.
Shelby

Thanks Shelby... Mom is doing better today. I'm still trying to "clean out" from my attack... I'm so thankful for fennel tea...I'm feeling so much better.

--------------------

Re: Mommy Duty Update new
      #223060 - 11/03/05 04:26 PM
Shell Marr

Mommy is doing really good today.... the physical therapist came to see her and said she is doing well. She has to practice walking heel to toe all the way instead of limping on it or dragging her leg. She also gave her some different exercises to try because her upper thigh is not strong enough yet to do the ones she has been TRYING the last couple of days.

I'm going to the gym to work out with my personal trainer tonight after work....I have not been to the gym since Sat and it is driving me crazy!! LOL

Dad will be with Mom.....

--------------------

Re: Mommy Duty Update new
      #223076 - 11/03/05 06:16 PM
Angela E.

Reged: 10/14/04
Loc: Michigan

Shell glad to hear that your mom is doing better. My dad just brought my grandma home to their house after her knee surgery. She is doing really well to and she is 78! Sorry to hear about your attack. Hope your tummy is feeling better!!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1226 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3177

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review