All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Post Operative Nausea/Vomiting
      #211810 - 09/08/05 01:32 PM
Kimm

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Okay so my breast reduction surgery is in exactly 3 weeks and I'm starting to get extremely nervous and anxious about it now.

I'm not scared about the pain or the healing or anything like that....what scares me the most is that I'm going to wake up from surgery and throw up!!

I know a lot of you can relate to me on this one so I'm kinda looking for comforting words and wondering who here has had surgery under general anesthetic and how they reacted to it.

Thanks guys....

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Post Operative Nausea/Vomiting new
      #211816 - 09/08/05 01:37 PM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

I don't have any experience here...but just wanted to say good luck!

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

#211822 - 09/08/05 02:05 PM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Just be sure to tell EVERYONE you see in the hospital that you are very prone to nausea. Tell the dr, tell the nurses and tell the person putting you under!! They can give you anti-nausea medication right in your iv and you can ask for a script to take home with you!! Phenigren (sp??) seems to work well for me!! I had an awful reaction after my gallbladder surgey years ago so when I had to have the two d&c's this past year and the spinal blocks in my back for the RSD, I made sure to do this and I was just fine!!!

Nerves can make this all worse so you might even want to ask about a couple of valium or xanax to take the day before and the day of the surgery!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#211824 - 09/08/05 02:11 PM
JLL24

Reged: 09/23/04

Hi Kimm

I had two surgeries in 1999 to remove my thyroid b/c it was cancerous. Both times I woke up I vomited due to the general anesthetic. I just vomited once both times and then it quickly subsided.

Hope everything goes well.
Jenn

#211830 - 09/08/05 02:30 PM
daliatree

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Manhattan, New York

Kimm...I have no experience of this but wanted to with you good luck and lots of empathy because my biggest fear in every situation is that I will throw up...it completely paralyses me with fear. You are very brave XXXX

--------------------
Feel the fear and do it anyway!

#211856 - 09/08/05 04:31 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Chances are, sweetie, you'll be just fine. I am also TERRIFIED of throwing up or anyone else for that matter (I have OCD so I do mean TERROR). But you know what? Worse comes to worse, you'll get through it. I know it's easy to say and I also know it's a real fear. They have anti nauseants that they can give you. Ask for them. Tell them that once you get out of surgery whehter you're awake or not, to give you some. Tell them your fears. They've been through all of this before. You'll be fine, sweetie!!!!
Hugs, Alicia.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#211933 - 09/09/05 06:15 AM
Kimm

Well I was speaking to the surgeon and the anesthe...the guy that puts you out....

and they said that there are 3 or 4 different combinations of anti nausea drugs they can give me through my IV during the surgery so that it takes effect before I even wake up. So that's good news and eases my mind a little bit.

I just have to try and tell myself that it's not the end of the world if I do puke...and chances are that worrying and freaking out about it will only increase my chances of puking.....so I must remain calm and breathe!! Hahaha....

Thanks alot for your input guys....

#212039 - 09/09/05 10:50 AM
Tina in NYC

Reged: 09/09/05

Kimm, if you puke, you puke. I think you won't feel great no matter what since it is a surgery. Just take all the time you need to recover and you'll feel better once it's all over and you have your perky new boobies!

Will you still do the before and after (wearing a t-shirt or tank top)?

--------------------
------

Tina

I'm really bad this way and have a lot of surgeries lately new
      #212042 - 09/09/05 10:58 AM
ecmmbm

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: North Carolina

Tell them you're prone to this and they'll give you a shot of somethign to supposedly help. Still, I wake up nauseated (not vomitting, though, so an improvement) so I immediately ask (or have dh ask) for a shot of phenigren (sp???) It does the trick and also makes you kind of sleepy, which is nice post-op anyway when you're uncomfortable. They can send you home with phenigren pills, too, if need be, for the nausea (which I have when getting off the IV pain drip). It really helps a lot, just makes you kind of sleepy though.

GL!!!

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle
...the greatest of these is LOVE. (I Cor 13)

#212046 - 09/09/05 11:09 AM
Kimm

I'm actually going to take nude before/after pictures and I'll take some with a tight shirt on as well so I can post them (and they'll be a little more decent!! hahaha)...

I'm sure I'll be fine....I'll just pray about it and hope for the best...that's all I can do right? Thanks for all the encouragement and kind words, I really appreciate it.

#212053 - 09/09/05 11:25 AM
mindyj

Reged: 05/14/04
Loc: Northern Virginia

I will echo the replies of others here Kim, one word = drugs!!! Ask for phenegran and zofran - zofran is stronger. I was on that for a little while I was weaning on to my immunosupressants for CD. It works wonders! Good luck with the entire process!

#212060 - 09/09/05 11:47 AM
Tina in NYC

Oh, you've wanted this for so long that I'm sure you'll be so pleased! Good idea about the nude before and after for your own files. It will be a great reminder as to how big they were and just why you did it.

I think it's great and if you can get that monster tattoo, this surgery ain't nothin!

--------------------
------

Tina

#212071 - 09/09/05 12:44 PM
Kimm

Thanks Tina!!

It's funny....you'd think I'd be nervous about the actual surgery but it's the puking part that freaks me out the most....hahaha.

I have a high tolerance for pain so I'm not worried about that at all....I'm sure I'll be just fine.

I'll be sure to post before and after pics when it's done!!

#212074 - 09/09/05 12:47 PM
Tina in NYC

Lukcy you, I'm a wimp and have a low tolerance to pain!

--------------------
------

Tina

#212102 - 09/09/05 02:28 PM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

I was under general anethesia when I had my two children and when I had my appendix out. I did get very nauseated when I first woke up. They gave me a shot of (I think it's Pheneragan (sp) and that really helped.

Good luck
Barbie

--------------------

Kimm!! new
      #212178 - 09/09/05 10:27 PM
Stephie

Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Hi Kimm,

3 weeks?! Yay!! I am so excited for you! I have to send off some forms tomorrow for my own reduction, and then I get put on the waiting list so I counting on you to be my guide once you've had yours done, hee hee!

I think everyone else has given you really good re: the post op puking. I think if they already know you are concerned, and are really assertive on the day that they'll drug you up nice so that your tummy stays as calm as possible. I also think asking for something for afterwards, and to take home with you is a great idea.
I really feel like you won't throw up BUT if you do, my mom just came out of surgery a few weeks ago and although she did get sick after because she was so out of it she didn't even seem to notice OR remember what happened.
I just know you're gonna be fine, I am rooting for ya!
I cannot WAIT to see your before and after pictures, you're gonna look kick-ass!
So excited for you!
--Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

Kimm new
      #212183 - 09/09/05 11:44 PM
Janey

Reged: 10/25/03
Loc: Maryland

The first surgery I had I woke up feeling sick. I told the Dr. and they immediately put something in my IV. I always make sure I tell the Dr. that I am prone to feel sick from the anesthesia and they always put the meds in my IV during the surgery so I haven't had a problem since.

You have already told them so I am sure you will be fine. If you wake up and feel sick say something immediately and they will take care of it.

I find with surgery I tend to worry about little things that when I look back they don't seem that important. Your mind needs something to focus on.

Just try to think about the wonderful outcome of your surgery. It will all be worth it whether you get sick or not afterwards.

Good Luck!

--------------------
Janey

Steph!! new
      #212400 - 09/11/05 02:37 PM
Kimm

Thanks!! I'm hoping I'll be fine too....

I will be sure to post on here and let you know how the surgery goes and give you a play by play so that when you get yours done you'll know exactly what to expect.

Sorry so late new
      #212415 - 09/11/05 04:50 PM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Hey Kimm,

Sorry this is so late but I wanted to respond anyways. I was terrified of post-operative nauseau/vomiting when I had my first surgery and I was FINE I came out of the anesthetic really well...groggy but not nauseaus at all...I was in a bit of pain but the recovery room nurses took care of that right away and I was good. THe only nauseau I experienced was on the drive home, my surgery was a day procedure and they sent me home about 3 hours after I came out of anethestic, so I was still pretty groggy, and the driving didn't go over so well.

My advice would be to talk to the doctor about it, if you're really concerned they might be able to give you something in recovery to make sure that you don't vomit. Also, if you're not staying overnight you may want to ask for something for the transportation home (even if it's just Gravol)

Good luck!
Kelly

Re: Sorry so late new
      #212462 - 09/11/05 07:40 PM
Kimm

Thanks alot!! I feel better hearing other people's experiences with being put out. I spoke to my mom today and she said that she's never felt sick after being put out and I read something somewhere that said you usually take after your mother with things like that....so it's kind of eased my mind a little.

I'll definitely ask about taking something for the car ride home. Luckily the hospital is only about a 5 minute care ride from my house so I won't be in the car for very long.

Thanks again, I really appreciate the response!!

#212566 - 09/12/05 07:32 AM
Portageegal

Reged: 06/28/05
Loc: Massachusetts

I've enver gotten sick after being put out. I have had day surgery then gone to get something to eat on the way home.

--------------------
Carol

nós somos o que nós somos e o descanso é merda

#212579 - 09/12/05 08:15 AM
Kimm

Wow...really?? That's amazing!! It makes me feel so much better....

THANKS EVERYONE!! new
      #212580 - 09/12/05 08:16 AM
Kimm

After hearing everyone's stories about how they didn't get sick and about how it wasn't so bad, I'm feeling much better about this.

I am not even half as nervous as I was before....thanks so much for all your replies....I really really appreciate it!!

*HUGS TO ALL*

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 470 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2355

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review