All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Ugh
      #190139 - 06/29/05 09:17 AM
melitami

Reged: 02/23/04
Loc: Ewing, NJ, USA (IBS-D, Vegetarian)

The past two mornings I've woken up feeling like I've been run over by a truck! Yesterday I had a migraine as well, and just felt icky, today I'm just sore, and I have no idea why. My back and shoulders are killing me, and the muscles in the fronts of my thighs hurt when I walk. IBS is ok, finally getting a bit better, which I hope/think is due to the Acacia I started taking last week, though I'm still on a low dose, and I'm drinking more water.

Just wanted to vent, because as my roommate said this morning, apparently I need truck repellant! Having classes all day isn't helping. Darn being a college student!

--------------------
Melissa
Friendship is thicker than blood. ~Rent

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Sorry you're feeling crummy new
      #190236 - 06/29/05 12:33 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Maybe if you don't start feeling better soon you should call a doctor. If you have no idea why you are so sore. I'm sure it's probably nothing...sometimes you just feel icky when you get over tired and stressed from school work. Maybe you are tensing up and not realizing it??? Maybe even in your sleep.

Anyhow, at least the IBS is behaving. Is this your first time on an SFS? Hope the acacia goes well.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

That stinks! new
      #190239 - 06/29/05 12:36 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Just to commiserate slightly, for the past 3 or 4 days, I've had this horrible pain in the back of my neck - up onto the back of my head, down into my shoulder. The first day I thought I just slept funny or something, but I couldn't possibly have done that for THAT many days. And then yesterday, I had that same ache in my legs as you, but I didn't do anything to cause it, either. Being uncomfortable sure makes getting things done difficult, huh?

Hope you feel better soon!

Re: Sorry you're feeling crummy new
      #190341 - 06/29/05 05:55 PM
melitami

Part of the shoulders and back thing may be my backpack, so I may be getting a new one soon. This isn't the first time this pain's happened though, been off and on the past six months, so it's just frustrating.

The only other SFS I've tried is Equalactin, and it made me very C. So far so good with the Acacia, so my fingers are crossed. I hope you're feeling a bit better too, and aren't stressing too terribly much with the new car!

--------------------
Melissa

#190345 - 06/29/05 06:01 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Melissa,

Do you have other symptoms?

Maybe take sugar out (if you even eat any...I don't think you do?) I know I get a LOT of pain when I eat sugar.

Did this begin with the onset of stress?

Have you EVER had this before in a period of your life...that it has come and gone?

FEEL BETTER!!!!! Sending you love and GENTLE hugs

Ruch

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#190348 - 06/29/05 06:09 PM
melitami

What other sort of symptoms do you mean? I'm exhausted, my shoulders and back are sore, as are the muscles in the front of my thighs, I've had a headache off/on all day though not as bad as yesterday, yesterday I had a bit of a runny nose for about 10 minutes which was weird but happens sometimes. Nothing else really out of the ordinary.

The pain in my shoulders and legs has happened off/on for about the past 6 months-year. I also had problem with my shoulders in high school, to the point my arm was in a sling for a week or so.

And yeah, classes are a bit more stressful this week, so it may just be that.

I do eat sugar, it's just usually baked into things, like muffins I eat. Unfortunately sugar is the only way I actually get enough calories most days. But it's definitely something to consider maybe cutting down on or cutting out.

gentle hugs back!

--------------------
Melissa

Melissa.. new
      #190349 - 06/29/05 06:10 PM
Sheri01

Reged: 04/19/04
Loc: New Jersey

I am IBS-A, mostly D and pain too, and acacia has been a god send. If it starts making you C, you may need to increase it. I started out at 1 tsp 2 x day, now I am at 1 TB 2 x day, and I have been taking it for about a year.

It really helps! But, I also found having insolubles at Breakfast with my acacia AND soluble fiber food is necessary.

I hope you will have success, also!

--------------------
-Sheri

Fibro girls...what do you think? new
      #190350 - 06/29/05 06:12 PM
Snow for Sarala

I may not be the one to say, but, could it be fibro? Am I just an alarmist? or does this sound like a possibility? If I'm an alarmist, please throw me to the water (but not with the frogs, ok?)

I hope you feel better soon sis and that it's nothing but some aches and pains!

Love,

Ruch

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: Fibro girls...what do you think? new
      #190354 - 06/29/05 06:30 PM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

Could be fibromyalgia, but I get pains like this when I take fiber too. When I take citrucel (rarely!) I get sweats, leg and back pains and sleeplessness for 2 days until it's all out of me. Barring more information, I vote fiber's the culprit.

~nelly~

Re: Fibro girls...what do you think? new
      #190359 - 06/29/05 06:46 PM
melitami

Honestly, I've debated it, but I've had a huge problem with doctors insisting that I'm just stressed and there's nothing wrong with me since I'm a college student.

So even if there is something like fibro wrong with me, I'm not sure I'd even be able to get myself diagnosed.

--------------------
Melissa

I'd just keep in it mind... new
      #190424 - 06/30/05 12:37 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

....as a possibility if your symptoms continue. Not a hell of a lot they can give you for it anyway (Elavil's the most common drug).

In the meantime, I'd get something to help you sleep. Whether it's Fibro or not, it sounds like you're not getting enough deep sleep. I find NatraSleep (VAlerian and hops) helpful myself, but do wish I had something stronger!

Update new
      #190830 - 07/01/05 09:18 AM
melitami

Last night I had a breakdown, basically I'm sick and tired of feeling exhausted and sore, so I went to student health today. The doc I got actually is one of the better ones there, I've had him before. He said that a lot of it might be my posture, but he also is doing some blood work. They took 4 vials of blood, and the prescription pad had a good column and a half of tests to run on it. He's going to call me next week with the results, and I guess where to go from there. He's also gave me a prescription for 600 mg Motrin, which I don't know if I'll actually fill or not.

Now off to get some lunch to counteract all that blood being drawn!

--------------------
Melissa

Re: Update new
      #190832 - 07/01/05 09:25 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I hope they get to the bottom of this! Be careful with the motrin, I can't take any of that stuff because it KILLS my tummy. Maybe ask for Ultracet, its a precription pain pill but it isn't a narcotic and its tylenol based so it doesn't bother my tummy. Let us know when you hear something.

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#190843 - 07/01/05 10:19 AM
Linz

Sounds like a good doc! What's up with your posture? I've had back-front scoliosis for years (darn muscles ganging up on me ) and it's worse with Fibro.

#190850 - 07/01/05 10:44 AM
melitami

He said it may be that I hunch over the computer too much when I do work, especially since I do my homework on my bed rather than my desk when I'm at home. Mac (my bf) took over my desk when he moved in, so this weekend, I'm going to kick him off my desk and do my work there and try to see if that helps. No scoliosis that I know of though, since they tested us for it every year in elementary and middle school.

--------------------
Melissa

#190851 - 07/01/05 10:45 AM
melitami

Yeah, I figured motrin was bad for my tummy! I think I'll just deal with the pain for right now, at least until I get the blood test results next week.

Thanks!

--------------------
Melissa

i'm so GLAD you went to the doc!!!! new
      #190853 - 07/01/05 10:48 AM
Snow for Sarala

Keep us posted, ok? *hugs* Sending you GENTLE hugs, love and a peaceful, pain free weekend!!!!!

Love ya!

Ruch

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

I'm glad you went for help, Melissa new
      #190963 - 07/01/05 06:43 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Sometimes we get so used to being in pain we just accept all pain as normal.

Hopefully, this thorough doc will help you. Keep us updated!

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Melissa... new
      #192179 - 07/06/05 08:29 AM
Snow for Sarala

How are you doing? I haven't heard from you in a while! I'm thinking about you and I hop you're ok, feeling ok, not stressed out, adn that classes/work are good!

When is the moving day? I'm waiting excitedly! P.S. i need your new address!

Love you bunches!

Ruchily

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: Melissa... new
      #192182 - 07/06/05 08:34 AM
melitami

I'm still frustratedly waiting to hear back from the doctor about the blood tests! I'm giving him until the end of today (since Monday was a holiday), and I'm calling him tomorrow if I don't hear from him. This weekend was not the greatest I was in a lot of pain most of the weekend, especially my shoulders. Heating pads are wonderful things!

Not moving until the end of August, but Mac did decide to start packing some this weekend! We're anxious to move, but it's still almost 2 months away!

Classes are the same, lots of work, which is hard to do when you're in pain...I didn't get nearly as much done this weekend as I wanted.

I sent you an email on Monday, hope you got it!

Lots of love!

--------------------
Melissa

Re: Ugh new
      #192289 - 07/06/05 12:13 PM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

Sounds like the flu.

Re: Ugh new
      #192335 - 07/06/05 01:18 PM
melitami

I'd think that too, except it's been happening off and on for the past six months or so

Still anxiously waiting for the doc to call....

--------------------
Melissa

Finally talked to the nurse... new
      #192723 - 07/07/05 09:17 AM
melitami

I got tired of waiting for the doctor to call, so I called the health center, and the nurse just told me that all my blood tests came back fine. Still kinda hoping the doctor calls me to give me some indication of what to do next.

--------------------
Melissa

Re: Finally talked to the nurse... new
      #192736 - 07/07/05 09:36 AM
Snow for Sarala

I'm glad the tests came back fine but I would call for a follow-up with the doc...in my experience they don't call back with what to do next. I'm glad the bloodwork is fine...that it's not mono or something *hugs*

Thinking of you sis *hugs*

Love,

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Talked to the doc this morning new
      #193185 - 07/08/05 07:57 AM
melitami

He said that my liver and kidneys are functioning fine, that my electrolytes are fine, my thyroid function is right in the middle of normal, and that the tests for inflammation are all negative. He wants me to take 3 ibuprofen with food every 6 hours, and if I'm not feeling better by early next week, he's going to refer me to a rheumatologist (sp?). So at least some progress, even though he said he doesn't know why I'm so tired and sore. It took me 10 minutes to force myself out of bed this morning, though it probably doesn't help it's cold and rainy here.

--------------------
Melissa

Re: Talked to the doc this morning new
      #193195 - 07/08/05 08:27 AM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

Aww.. at least he's following up with you, Melissa! In any case, even though its good news that your test results came back negative, I know it's frusterating not being any closer to finding out what it is.

I hope you start to feel better and hopefully Gracie snuggles with you lots.

--------------------
- Jennifer

Did they do new
      #193209 - 07/08/05 09:00 AM
babymom

Reged: 02/24/05

a urinalysis- UTI's can stick around for a while if left untreated. You don't have to have the pain and burning associated??????

Re: Did they do new
      #193213 - 07/08/05 09:17 AM
melitami

No, he didn't check my urine, since the main problem is with the muscles in my shoulders, the muscles in my legs, and the exhaustion. There is some pain in my lower back as well, but also, if there was an infection it would have should up on one of the blood tests he did (I'm fairly certain he did one that said my white cell count was fine, which would indicate no infection)

--------------------
Melissa

#193270 - 07/08/05 11:57 AM
Linz

Well a rheumy's the doc to go to for Fibro diagnosis amoung other stuff.

I'm curious why he suggested Ibuprofen if all your tests for inflammation came back negative. I'd have gone with Tylenol myself, esp. with IBS.

#193273 - 07/08/05 12:03 PM
melitami

He did tell me to take the ibuprofen with food, and he said I could take tylenol on top of the ibuprofen if I still hurt. I'm skeptical enough taking the 3 ibuprofen at once. I took them around 11AM this morning, haven't done anything yet, so I figure I'll give it today and tomorrow and stop taking them if they still arent' working.

Yeah, I don't know either, Linz, but I figure I'll give it a try so that I can tell him I did it. Luckily, my tummy seems to be ok thus far. I can handle Aleve, so maybe that's why he figured I'd be ok?

--------------------
Melissa

#193276 - 07/08/05 12:05 PM
melitami

Thanks, Jen. It's just getting hard to deal with all this pain and school. Had another breakdown last night about being sick and tired of being sick and tired. I feel bad that Mac has to deal with being sick all the time, and me freaking out about being sick all the time. Forcing myself to get schoolwork done isn't helping either.

How are you feeling? Your IBS a little better?

--------------------
Melissa

#193332 - 07/08/05 01:30 PM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

Quote:

Thanks, Jen. It's just getting hard to deal with all this pain and school. Had another breakdown last night about being sick and tired of being sick and tired. I feel bad that Mac has to deal with being sick all the time, and me freaking out about being sick all the time. Forcing myself to get schoolwork done isn't helping either.

This sounds so familar - I went through this the last two weeks. Although I only have one summer school class, I was mostly cranky because I couldn't miss work to stay home sick (too much going on). And Mike had just told me when we were in Seattle that he was happy that I was feeling better! I personally think he jinxed it.

From what it sounds like, Mac is a pretty understanding guy and I'm sure he's just worried about you.

Quote:

How are you feeling? Your IBS a little better?

Well, I saw a doctor yesterday and demanded my regular prescriptions that I was getting at my last healthcare provider. To my relief, the instant I took my allergy medicine, I felt SO much better. It's a decongestant so it's doing double duty for my allergies and my cold. And I've been popping Beano like there's no tomorrow, which has helped tremendously. So hopefully if I can stay away from sugary substances, I can get back on track. Hopefully you can too once your doctor figures out whats going on.

--------------------
- Jennifer

#193485 - 07/08/05 07:45 PM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Sorry to hear that you're feeling so lousy Glad that all your bloodwork and everything came back negative though, that's a good sign!

I think it's a really good idea to try and get in to see a rheumatologist, you don't want to be taking Advil all the time if you don't need to (or if there's a better treatment).

Good luck and feel better soon
Kelly

Update! new
      #194048 - 07/11/05 07:23 AM
melitami

I've got an appointment with a rheumatologist Friday at 3:30, I was surprised they got me in so soon being a new patient, but works for me! I've stopped taking the massive amounts of ibuprofen, since they weren't helping. Only thing that seems to help is a hot shower and occasionally my heating pad. This week is already getting busier and busier and it's only Monday!

--------------------
Melissa

Fibro? -nt- new
      #194049 - 07/11/05 07:25 AM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

Re: Update! new
      #194068 - 07/11/05 08:02 AM
Linz

That's so fast! Wow.

Try Tylenol Extra instead of the Ibuprofen. If it is something like Fibro, then the anit-inflammatory bit would've had nothing to work on, whereas Tylenol and codeine have a far better effect on my Fibro.

I have to say..this is sounding more and more like Fibro. Moist heat is the best remedy for Fibro aches I know.

Re: Update! new
      #194090 - 07/11/05 08:35 AM
melitami

I'm wondering if it is Fibro as well. I got a copy of my blood tests to take with me to the rheumy's on Friday, and finally got a look at exactly what he tested me for:

blood count stuff - normal
metabolic rate panel - normal (which means my dad can shut up about my diet and saying that I'm not getting enough nutrition!)
lyme disease - negative
rheumatoid arthritis factor - normal
red blood cell sedimentation (if too fast, indicates infection or inflammation) - normal
TSH (thyroid hormone) - smack in the middle of normal range
creatine kinase (indicates muscle damage if elevated) - normal

Just spent a bunch of time looking up those tests, and I'm happy that they all turned out normal, but it is making me think Ihave fibro more and more. Not to mention my not being able to concentrate on my work at all lately, but I was just blaming it on being in pain and fatigued

I'll keep y'all updated!

--------------------
Melissa

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1148 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4124

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review