All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
AHHH! STRESS!!!!
      #190000 - 06/28/05 08:58 PM
doubletrouble

Reged: 11/14/04
Loc: Canberra, Australia

Hi guys! Okay, I'm having a panic attack (a REALLY long one!). I went to my GP on Friday (I posted this before but it disappeared for some reason ) and it turns out these lumps I keep feeling on each side are more than likely a hernia. I always thought it was my intestines swelling from being irritated. I have to go and have an ultrasound to confirm it. If I do have one it will only get worse not better and can have some pretty scary complications if it's not fixed. The only way to fix it is surgery (which scares the absolute life out of me, I'm a hospital phobe and have been my whole life. I left the hospital within 12 hours of giving birth in order not to stay there!). All this comes on top of finally starting to feel a bit more stable since going GF (which I kinda hoped wasn't my problem but it would seem it contributes to it in a big way). AHHHH! I'm stressing. Thanks for letting me vent guys

--------------------
Amy

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: AHHH! STRESS!!!! new
      #190010 - 06/28/05 11:16 PM
Sailing Away

Reged: 03/31/05

Amy, I don't blame you for wanting to be as far away from a hospital as possible. The smell alone somedays is enough to bug me even when I visit someone, let alone having to go in for a procedure. I hope things go well and they are able to figure out what is going on from the ultrasound. *hugs*

-Michelle

I'm so sorry... new
      #190038 - 06/29/05 05:06 AM
ecmmbm

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: North Carolina

Every time something comes up wrong with me (like I'm still waiting to get surgery to fix my fallen bladder/rectocele) and I get VERY frustrated and stressed at the idea of having to go through all that and wonder, good night, why one more thing??? My Mom always reminds me (though I hate it at first) "Just thank God it is something that can be FIXED. Some people get diagnoses back that cannot be fixed... " So, as tough as it is, keep that in mind okay? Hang in there!!

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle
...the greatest of these is LOVE. (I Cor 13)

#190054 - 06/29/05 05:45 AM
Cara4503

Reged: 03/20/04

Aww. I'm so sorry. I know this doesn't help much, but surgery is so much easier these days. And they can give you meds right away if you are really nervous or anything...it goes by so fast and you can't believe it's over with.

I know it's still not very comforting! I'm sorry you're going through this.
<<HUGS>>

--------------------
~Cara~

#190056 - 06/29/05 06:17 AM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

I'm so sorry Amy. If you do need surgery you'll have to do it. Unpleasant but it might be necessary. You're tougher than you think Amy.

#190071 - 06/29/05 07:12 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Honey, from one Hospital Phobe to another, You WILL be OK. I was hospitalized 6 weeks before Quinlan was born. I SUFFERED THROUGH and so will you if you have to. Let's see how the test goes. Take it one step at a time. Once you get in there, and get used to it, it's really OK. The people there are really great, and you're out of it for the procedure, so you have had 3 kids, you can get through this, too. If you've had kids, you can get through ANYTHING. Hugs, Alicia.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#190081 - 06/29/05 07:35 AM
epa_ginger

Reged: 02/23/05
Loc: Chicago, IL

Like Michelle said...if it's a hernia, it's fixable, and we are just lucky to be alive at a time when SO many thinks are fixable. I know 4 people who have had the surgery recently and all are doing great. It's much less invasive than it used to be, and they were all in in the morning and out by early afternoon. The worst complaint I've heard is a little soreness afterwards. If that's what it is, you'll be ok!!

--------------------

#190124 - 06/29/05 08:54 AM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

Amy, I'm sorry you're having this tremendous stress. (not good for your tummy). I would be having a panic attack too. Maybe it's not a hernia afterall. Let's pray for the best and see what happens.

When the back doctor told me my X-ray was abnormal, I freaked out too, worrying about cancer and all kinds of horrible things. I was relieved once I had the test and had an answer to what was causing my pain. Not knowing is the worst thing!!!

When are you having the test done? Hopefully, you won't have to wait long.

((((Big hugs)))))

Oh no! new
      #190247 - 06/29/05 12:54 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Amy, I'm sorry to hear this! Try not to fret until you get a definate diagnosis, okay. I know, easier said than done. But if they can actually fix something that is causing you pain, that is a good thing! You'll get through the hospitalization...You got through Phil leaving for so long and you didn't think you would. And maybe you wouldn't even need to be in a hospital...Maybe it is out patient surgery, or only a day or two??

But again, wait for a definate diagnosis before jumping ahead of yourself, sweetie.

And the GF diet helping is also a good thing. I've been on it 1 1/2 years and you get used to it. I'll help as best I can. And if the GF diet helped me, I would rejoice! Yes, it sucks not being able to eat bagels, pretzels, and it's a pain to eat anything you haven't prepared yourself because you don't know what brand ingredients are in the product... Well, yeah, it does suck being GF...but is it worth it to feel better? 100% absolutely yes. I prayed that GF would help me and it didn't. Any diet that makes you feel better is a blessing, not a curse. Try and think of it that way, okay?

But you can still tell us how much it sucks having to eat GF because it is a major pain in the butt! And rice bread is sort of yucky...But order from Kinickinnick! It's the best! I swear!

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Beth. new
      #190432 - 06/30/05 02:00 AM
doubletrouble

Thanks Beth. Yeah, I KNOW it's a good thing both that it can be fixed (well temporarily in some cases but...) and it's also a good thing that I'm feeling much better. It's mostly the whole bread thing that's depressing me. I just can't make myself eat it. Even toasted it's all crispy outside and liquid in the middle (shudder just thinking about it!). I'd love any lunch idea's you have. Or super speedy dinner ideas. Lunch is my main problem though. I miss bread . Most other things I can happily live without, but bread (groooaaaannnn). I am grateful that the hernia can be fixed. Going in for another procedure though just terrifies me. Well being cut is what terrifies me the most. I have my ultrasound next wednesday so I'll know for sure then.
Sadly I can't try the Kinickinnick brand of bread as you can't get it over here
Thanks for the support. Hope your belly finds some help soon!

--------------------
Amy

BL..... new
      #190433 - 06/30/05 02:05 AM
doubletrouble

Thank you. Weird thing is now I'm GF the belly actually seems to be dealing okay with the stress (MAJOR first for me!! and at PMS time too!) I know I shouldn't get ahead of myself and worry about the possibilities before they're facts but I can't help myself. Last time I was this worried it turned out I had grade 3 cervical cancer (boy was THAT scary!). I suppose at least this isn't going to kill me.
I'm glad your x-rays and stuff were all normal. And yep, it's the not knowing that kills you!
I'm having the ultrasound done next Wednesday(yes they tell me I have this horrible thing then make me wait a week to know for sure ). I'll update for you all then. Thanks for the thoughts

--------------------
Amy

Epa-Ginger new
      #190434 - 06/30/05 02:40 AM
doubletrouble

Thank you. Yes, it is fixable. I'm grateful it is just worried about the whole surgery/hospital thing. I've had enough day procedures to last me a lifetime IYKWIM and loathe hospitals to boot. It's nice to know that the only complaint has been a little soreness though. Maybe I shouldn't worry so much after all (but I will, he he).

--------------------
Amy

Alicia... new
      #190435 - 06/30/05 02:42 AM
doubletrouble

Nice to meet another hospital phobe I'm not sure why I hate them so much. The only thing I can come up with is my first 2 memories ever are both centred around hospitals and bad things (one was an old fashioned blood count where I was strapped into a high chair and had every finger pricked and the blood was forced into tiny test tubes and the 2nd was my dad being in there most of my childhood with cancer so maybe it's the smell that triggers it off). I can't believe you had to spend 6 weeks in one! You poor thing! It's funny though that I hate them so much cause DH works in one

--------------------
Amy

Tina... new
      #190436 - 06/30/05 02:44 AM
doubletrouble

Thank you for the compliment I feel like I haven't posted to you forever I'm glad things are going so well for you now (I do read all your posts, am just slack in replying to posts these days. Seem to only have time for lurking )

--------------------
Amy

Cara... new
      #190437 - 06/30/05 02:45 AM
doubletrouble

Thank you. Yep that's the only thing I like about surgery, is the fact that they knock you out in about 5 seconds It's just the lead up to it that's the problem (I'm one of those people who needs to be anesthitised in the lead up to being put out ).

--------------------
Amy

Michelle.... new
      #190438 - 06/30/05 02:48 AM
doubletrouble

That's a really good philosophy (sp?). I'll keep repeating it to myself. This is by far not the WORST thing that's ever happened to me so I guess I should keep remembering that too. You'd think that eventually you'd get used to being poked and prodded but it just doesn't seem to happen! I hope you have some progress with your bladder/rectocele soon. It is very stressful and frustrating for something to go wrong with our bodies and I think with IBS you kinda think that should be enough punishment for one person to deal with!

--------------------
Amy

Michelle (Sailing Away).. new
      #190439 - 06/30/05 02:50 AM
doubletrouble

Thank you. Yep, I think for me it's the smell that does it. Even sometimes when I'm collecting DH from work the doors open and I get a whiff and my belly starts churning and I feel really unpleasant (it's a weird feeling, I don't know how to describe it!). Thanks for the hugs I needed some.

--------------------
Amy

Re: Surgery new
      #190467 - 06/30/05 07:22 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

If it comes down to surgery, tell your surgeon how afraid you are and they can give you some tranquillers to take BEFORE you even leave for the hospital!! Be sure to tell them that you get nauseous very easy also and they will give you medication to help prevent you from throwing up as some people are prone to doing after getting knocked out!! Drugs can be wonderful things!! HEHEHEHE!!!

Hang in there, I'm sure they will get to the bottom of this soon and you'll be feeling better in no time! Hugs!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Amy new
      #190478 - 06/30/05 07:41 AM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

It is horrible when they tell you they think you have something---and then make you wait for the tests. That is the scary part! I had to wait 2 weeks until the test was done---and then another 10 days to get the results.

They did find out I have degenerative disc disorder---a painful condition that I will always have---but it won't kill me! I am learning to live with it and to manage the pain.

It's a shame that can't just do the tests on the spot. It sure would save us a lot of worrying, wouldn't it?

Good luck!

Beth new
      #190757 - 06/30/05 07:26 PM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

A personal question if you don't mind ... I'm curious as to why you are still on the GF diet if it hasn't helped? I've lurked here a long time and remember when you first started posting, and I'm so sorry that you're still not really feeling any better.

I'm not having much luck stablizing either. I'm a D and even after a year on Heather's diet I still scarf down loads of Imodium & Tylenol every day. My GP did a blood test for celiac that came back negative, but lately I've been thinking about going GF just to see if it would help. Mainly what's holding me back is how cheap I am -- a tiny little bag of GF flour costs like $5, and I can get 5 lbs wheat flour for eighty-nine cents. I would probably end up living on rice and potatoes. I am an expert at eating for IBS for cheap, but not sure about how to eat GF for cheap.

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

Jen1013... new
      #190759 - 06/30/05 07:32 PM
doubletrouble

Hi! I tested negative for both Coeliac and Gluten intolerance both through blood work and through 2 biopsy's and yet (I've only been doing this a week though) have found I feel GREAT GF! I have NO money to speak of (even paying rent is a struggle some weeks) but there are cheaper alternatives out there. The bread is quite heavy so while you pay more you don't eat as much and the rice pasta is the same price as normal pasta (well it is over here). I too couldn't stabilise at all, even on the what to eat when you can't eat anything diet I still had MAJOR cramps and D. I actually got worse on it I say give it a try, see how you go and you'll know within a few weeks if you are feeling better. I've had NO D since I started and I have pms (I usually get very explosive gastro D when I have PMS so this is amazing). Hope this helps.

--------------------
Amy

Amy new
      #190773 - 06/30/05 08:19 PM
jen1013

Thanks for the advice. I wonder if I can get safe pre-made GF bread here. I bake my own bread because the only non-HFCS bread I can find here in the stores is sourdough, and I HATE sourdough (it makes my stomach turn, I feel like I am eating something I should have thrown out last week).

Can you drink herbal tea? I get D from herbal tea. (And I have tried like twenty different kinds/brands -- yes, I was in denial, thanks.) This really frustrated me because it is supposed to be so safe that it's on the what-you-can't-eat[etc] diet, but for me it is an instant trigger. I have had normal evil decaf tea and didn't seem to have a bad reaction from it -- I know it's tough to tell for sure when you're not stable anyway, but it definitely did not affect me like herbal tea does. I miss my sleepytime tea.

Anyway, it's great that you are feeling better on it. Weren't you taking slippery elm? Are you still taking this? Finding a SFS that I can take is also another challenge of mine.

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

I had high antibodies... new
      #190774 - 06/30/05 08:23 PM
Augie

when I had my blood work done to test for the gluten antibodies. I have high scores on two of the tests and my doctor (and many others) opinion is that if you score high on the blood test for gluten antibodies, you should remain on a GF diet. Most likely, I have a Gluten Intolerance and IBS. So, while I may need to eat GF, eating GF will not necessarily help the pain and symptoms of the IBS. If I only had high antibodies and no IBS, the GF diet might be successful. But, I guess I've taken the stance that if I have two problems and I don't treat either I will have symptoms for sure. If I have two problems and I am able to treat one of them (the gluten intolerance by eating GF) it is still gives me a chance to work on the other problem without making the first problem worse. Sort of like killing off one bird, but still needing to kill off the other. Maybe I won't feel relief until I figure out the IBS?

Before going GF I used to have Diarrhea every day, 6 to 10 times a day and pain. Now, I have constipation and the pain.

I am going to be retested again to see if my antibodies are still high despite being on a gluten free diet. If they are, it could indicate that something else is going on and that my body just produces the antibodies.

No matter how the test comes back, I have decided to try eating gluten again to see how my body reacts...to see if I feel better or if my symptoms change.

As you said, the bread is extremely expensive..like 7 dollars for a loaf of 13 pieces of bread...and 2 dollars for 2 ounce package of pretzels! 4 Bagels cost 6 dollars!

I want to see if maybe some of my GF choices are actually hurting my tummy.

You have a good memory! Yes, I've been at this a long time to, and have yet to feel one bit better. Not one degree of improvement. It's discouraging isn't it? It's hard to understand how this diet can be such a blessing for some, but for us it has not helped. I don't get it.

Are you taking an SFS at all? I'm sorry you are still struggling. It couldn't hurt to try eating Gluten Free. You don't need to do breads everyday. You could do homemade SF soups, potatoes, rice, quino, rice cakes, corn cereals, Baked Kettle Krips, Rice Cereals, Rice Noodles,all the safe proteins, GF rice milk...

Let me know what you decide to do. And for the record, feel free to ask any question you like. I'll try to answer as best I can.

--------------------
~ Beth

that's great Amy new
      #190775 - 06/30/05 08:27 PM
Augie

I'm glad you are having luck with the GF diet....Maybe you have finally found your answer! That would be wonderful. How long have you been eating GF now?

I just wish I could join you in the "feeling better eating GF" club! I guess I'm all alone now in unstability land!

But I am so very happy if this continues to work for you. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you, sweetie!

Love and hugs!

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Amy new
      #190779 - 06/30/05 09:15 PM
doubletrouble

I could handle herbal tea's (I think) but to be honest a single cup of coffee in the morning and 1 or 2 decaf coffee's durning the day doesn't seem to make a difference to me either. Neither does milk. I don't react to a lot of the trigger foods but react to things that are supposedly safe. It's weird. I've never tried sourdough bread before. Although here sourdough seems to be another name for "white" bread I'm sure if I can buy GF bread over here you could get it over there (Australia doesn't have a lot of GF variety) but if you can't I do have some recipies for different types of GF bread. I haven't tried them though to be honest. I can't stand the GF bread at all. It makes my belly churn
I'm not on an SFS either. All of them (well except the Acacia, it's the only one I haven't tried) gave me worse D than I had without them. I do take slippery elm. A sample of my day would be (and please excuse the fact I'm not eating enough food, I'm still getting used to what I can and can't eat):
Wake up and have 20mls of inner leaf Aloe Vera Juice and a cup of coffee (disclaimer: this is NOT safe!).
10:00am: a big bowl of rice porridge (rolled rice flakes with milk, also not safe,) and topped with brown sugar.
2 Slippery Elm Capsules straight after.
11:15am: A big handful of Rice crackers (Sakata's are good and come in some yummy GF flavours, even gourmet one's now).
12:30ish: Sometimes I'll brave 2 slices of GF toast but most often I'll have 4 rice crackers (the big sandwhich size one's) with vege spread, lettuce, anything really.
3:15pm: Afternoon tea, sometimes a GF muffin, sometimes more rice sakata's or corn chips and salsa dip.
7:30pm: Dinner. Whatever I cook to be honest. Sometimes fish, rice and veges. Usually some sort of protein, polenta and a vege or 2.
2 slippery elm capsules straight after dinner.
Before bed I take 1 dairy free inner health plus capsule and another 20mls of Aloe Vera juice (this is a very argumentative subject about whether or not it is safe).
And that's about it but it's been the lack of wheat or gluten that has really helped I think.
I kinda use the slippery elm as my SFS as it helps constipation and also diarreah. If you buy the Blackmoore's powder form you can vary the dose to suit either C or D but I find the capsules are working fine for me (and they don't taste revolting like the powder). Hope this helps and if you decide to go ahead with this feel free to ask me any advice amyemadden@hotmail.com . Also you need to give it at least 6 weeks to be sure if it's helping then try reintroducing gluten first and see if there's a reaction. If not then try wheat and see if you get sick again then you'll know for certain. Oh and read jar labels carefully! SO many foods use wheat starches and thickners made from wheat. Even good old candy snakes have this in them

--------------------
Amy

So what kind of blood work new
      #191060 - 07/02/05 10:30 AM
jen1013

will test for high antibodies? My GP initially did some bloodwork on me and said that included a celiac test, but that's all I know. All I heard was that everything came back normal, with the exception my protein/sodium (I think?) levels were too high.

If going GF switched your D to C, wouldn't that be a sign that you do have a gluten intolerance? Or is it possible that the GF diet is constipating? When you had D all the time before you went GF, were you following Heather's diet? I hope you don't really have gluten intolerance and IBS -- that would suck! It also seems like IBS-C people have a harder time getting it under control than the IBS-D. Good luck with adding gluten back! I really hope that at least it would help with some of the pain. You seem to suffer so much.

I am a D ... and while it isn't exactly severe, it's just ALWAYS THERE. If I stop taking my daily handful of Imodium/Tylenol/Levsin, I'm OK at first, but as a day or two go by, the pain and cramping and loose stools come back, with a full-fledged D attack at least every couple days. With the meds, I get pain and 1-4 BMs each day. If I only take meds in the AM, then by 6-7 PM I'm usually having BMs every 30-45 minutes. Ugh! I'm pretty fanatical about Heather's diet, mainly because I'm so scared of having an attack, so I feel kind of at-wit's-end-ish. I even did the hypno CDs -- no help whatsoever. So that's why I'm starting to think about the whole GF thing.

I have seen a GI several times but he was horrible. So after months of waiting I am finally getting into this digestive diseases clinic with an excellent reputation. This is at the end of July, so in case they do want to do any bloodwork I figure I'd better keep eating gluten until then. I will probably go GF in August.

I can't believe how expensive GF stuff is. What are your "cheap" GF staples?

No, I'm not taking a SFS. Every one I've tried has made me waaay worse. I finally broke down and ordered Acacia yesterday. Maybe that will be my "miracle" SFS.

Thanks for all the advice -- I'm sure I will need more once I finally do take the GF-plunge.

--------------------
jen

Jen.. new
      #191103 - 07/02/05 04:48 PM
doubletrouble

The blood test for coeliac disease would have picked up high antibodies. However not all doctors worry about this so it might be worth asking if they were okay too as your worried about being intolerant to gluten. That being said I'm still doing okay on the gf diet and my blood work was all fine
I've found the gf diet to be a little constipating. At first I stopped going altogether (I'm an A mostly D so that was weird!). Now I'm back to going every day but it's no longer D (well except for at the moment darn women's problems, I HATE hormones). Mostly though I've found that the terrible cramping pains and gas have completely disappeared and the fact that I no longer have to carry immodium EVERYWHERE is wonderful.
You should probably stay on gluten like you said until they've finished testing. Blood work doesn't always pick up coeliac disease and if you stop eating it and you have it you'll recover and be misdiagnosed so you're doing the right thing.
Staples (and I'm no expert, Beth can probably help you much better):
Rice
Quinoa-cooked like cous cous
Rice Pasta's (these are great, just throw some GF pasta sauce on top and you have a meal in 10 minutes plus you can add it to main meals with chicken or fish and a vege).
Polenta, polenta, polenta, I just love the stuff and eat it almost every day.
Umm some Sun Rice Risotto's are easy to make, cheap and yummy with a main meal(not sure if they're in the US though they may be an aussie brand)
Rice Cakes also cheap and I use them as bread as I can't make myself eat the GF bread
GF muffins I make them myself out of the Orgran packet mixes and they're great for snacks and not too pricy
Rolled Rice Flakes are cheap and great for making rice porridge with
Finally Sakata's have a yummy gourmet range of Rice Snacks with flavours like honey mustard and lime and cracked pepper (GF, fat free and delicious)
Oh and baked corn chips and tomato salsa are also good for snacks if you can handle the salsa. I'm fine with a little bit but don't dare go overboard

Hope this has helped a little

--------------------
Amy

#191108 - 07/02/05 05:12 PM
jen1013

One thing I am curious about -- if you're feeling crummy all the time, how can you truly figure out your triggers? Herbal tea is really the only thing I can say with 100% confidence is a trigger because I always get D right after I drink it. Oh, and cigarette smoke -- if I inhale it more than, oh, say, five seconds, I am sprinting for the nearest bathroom. But I can't honestly say that X doesn't bother me, because I am always D-ish and so I don't know if it's X, Y, Z, or 46 that's killing me. Or all of the above.

Sourdough bread is basically white bread, but instead of using yeast you let water and flour sit until it becomes disgusting and bacteria-filled, and then make it into bread. Sounds yummy, eh?? Actually, a lot of people really like it, but to me it just tastes like something gone horribly wrong.

Where does one usually buy slippery elm? I don't recall seeing that in the supplement section at the usual chain stores. I am finally going to try Acacia, but if that disagrees with me the way other fibers do I will probably try slippery elm. What do you think of this? I found it when I googled for slippery elm: Intestinal/Soothe & Build

Can you take multivitamins? I have never been able to take multivitamins with extra iron in them -- even when I had a normal digestive system the iron gave me horrid cramps. I've tried the 4 or so kinds available w/o iron and they all violently disagree with me.

I'm curious about the aloe vera juice you mentioned -- will do a search on it and see what comes up.

Thanks for the advice!

--------------------
jen

#191130 - 07/02/05 07:22 PM
doubletrouble

I was feeling crummy all the time too. I've blamed SO many things for causing reactions when in reality I had no idea if it was that food or stress or something else. I was having daily D, had no idea what it meant to feel "well". For me well is not TOO many pains and cramps and not too bad D (going once or twice instead of heaps more). When I found this site I tried the "what to eat when you can't eat anything" diet and I got WORSE, WAY worse. Now it's about 8 months down the track and I finally wondered why that was. It seemed weird that all I was really eating was wheat and water and I was worse. So I thought about what I ate in a day and realised wheat for breakfast, wheat for lunch, wheat based something for dinner so I wondered if all I was eating was a trigger food? So I decided to cut it out. Are you still eating anything other than wheat which MIGHT be triggering a reaction? Have you tried the what to eat when you can't eat anything diet?
I buy my Slippery Elm from the HFS but I can also get a digestive powder which is a combination of slippery elm and peppermint powder from the chemist. If you ask at the HFS for it they might have it. It can be called by a few different names.
The link you gave me looks okay but I'm not sure about some of the ingredients. I'll ask Linz to take a look, she knows a lot more about this sort of stuff than I do.
The only multi I've ever been able to take is one without iron and I couldn't take the full dose or it cramped me up. I'm now on one my naturopath gave me and I take a quarter dose of it every day (it comes in a powder so you can alter the dose to suit) but I'm not sure if it's doing any good at such a low dose.
Here is a link to the aloe vera juice that I take. If you google it, it is available in the US.
Good luck and let me know how you go.

--------------------
Amy

Linz.... new
      #191131 - 07/02/05 07:24 PM
doubletrouble

Can you take a look at the link in Jen's post above mine and give some advice on whether or not you think these herbs look safe? I know about one or 2 of them but the others I'm not sure about. Thanks for the help

--------------------
Amy

Re: Linz.... new
      #191164 - 07/03/05 03:05 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Well here's what a site that's selling it says about the ingredients...

Quote:

Slippery elm bark is a balm for inflamed or irritated tissue. It is mild enough for use by small children and yet very nutritive. Slippery elm is one of the best and mildest cleansers for the digestive system.

Marshmallow root is also known for its soothing, healing properties, especially for all the mucous membranes. Since the stomach and intestines are lined with these protective membranes, marshmallow helps the body get rid of substances that often collect or stick to these membranes.

Its pectin fiber is capable of carrying a host of toxic substances from the body.

Plantain leaves are known for their antiseptic properties and have been used to help neutralize certain poisons. They help reduce swelling of inflamed tissue, which can reduce pain. This allows blood to circulate and help heal the swollen area.

Chamomile flowers have nervine qualities, which can help the body cope with tension. Chamomile also has stimulates and helps digestive functions.

Rose hips contain vitamin C and its attendant compounds, which help neutralize toxic waste in the body. The wide range of nutritional and healing elements in rose hips makes them highly desirable for any digestive or bowel formula.

Bugleweed leaves amplify the properties of other herbs. With its sedative and tonic properties, it works well as a team player. As an astringent herb, bugleweed helps tightens the capillaries that may otherwise bleed—a benefit that may provide critical support to the bowel and stomach in times of stress.*

*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration.

Slippery Elm you know about.

Marshmallow is a demulcent, emmolient, diuretic, anti-inflammatory, expectorant. It's good for coughs and inflammation of the GI tract.

Fiber you know about...I'm not clued up on pectin specifically tho.

Plaintain is an expectorant, anti-inflammatory and astrigent....so it's good for coughs, hemms and possibly D!

Chamomile you know about.

Rosehips...as far as I know they're just a good source of vitamin C.

Bugleweed is specifically used for an overactive thyroid and it's possible side effects include hypothyroid and enlargement of the thyroid. It's also used as a sedative cough reliever. Traditionally, it was used as sedative and mild narcotic.

Hope that helps! I'm not sure what good that product would be compared to the Slippery Elm you're already taking as most of the other stuff is really just good for coughs and IBDs!

Thanks Linz. You're so AWESOME :) nt. new
      #191294 - 07/03/05 05:17 PM
doubletrouble

--------------------
Amy

Linz, is there any question you CAN'T answer??? Thanks! -nt- new
      #191468 - 07/04/05 11:49 AM
jen1013

--------------------
jen

Aw, you're so sweet! new
      #191477 - 07/04/05 12:21 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

That's means alot to me as I'm all Fibro-ed out and feeling useless.

One thing my now defunct degree did teach me how to do is research!

Amy new
      #191482 - 07/04/05 12:26 PM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

Incase I missed it, what's the latest on all this?

#191501 - 07/04/05 01:09 PM
jen1013

Quote:

I was having daily D, had no idea what it meant to feel "well". For me well is not TOO many pains and cramps and not too bad D (going once or twice instead of heaps more).

For me, well is not having D! I work 10-13 hours per day PLUS a one-hour commute (one-way), so hell to me is a D attack. I do manage to keep the D barely under control with a lot of Imodium and prescription anti-spasmodics. There are some days when I have D no matter what, but usually it's only bad in the morning. I always have pain and cramps. There just isn't any way around that. The anti-spasmodics help a little bit, so does Tylenol, but it never goes away. I am not really that stressed, so don't think that's a contributing factor.

Quote:

Are you still eating anything other than wheat which MIGHT be triggering a reaction? Have you tried the what to eat when you can't eat anything diet?

I follow Heather's diet exactly -- I have been doing this a year now so I know all the rules and read labels like crazy. I keep my fat under 25% -- most days it's more like 10-15%. Because I have GERD, I also rarely eat "iffier" things like tomatoes, onions, garlic, etc. I eat practically no IF. I did cut out soy & peanut butter for six months, but it made absolutely no difference so I added it back in.

I was on the breaking the cycle diet for a month. I went off it not because I was feeling better but because I ended up so malnourished (although, for awhile there I did have killer cheekbones from all the weight I lost). I felt better once I started adding in more food.

Thanks for the list of GF staples in your other post -- I'll keep that handy once I do go GF.

Also, that's interesting that you mentioned the doctor might not think it important enough to say anything about the high antibodies. I had a CAT scan a week after my colonoscopy, and the barium I drank gave me the worst D I have ever had. Well, the D was bloody -- so of course I call the GI, freaking out. When the nurse finally called back (several hours later), she said, "Oh, yeah, that's due to the hemorrhoids." I was like, "What hemorrhoids???" She said, "Oh, the colonoscopy showed you had some small hemorrhoids." It drives me crazy that doctors just won't mention stuff like that. I know that it's not life-and-death stuff, but it's still information the patient should have!

OK, had a bit of a crazy fit there. Sorry.

I hope you are still feeling good GF! I am keeping my fingers crossed for you -- you've been sick long enough, you really deserve to stabilize. Also hope you're getting over the flu.

--------------------
jen

Jen, I'm not ignoring you new
      #191509 - 07/04/05 01:36 PM
Augie

I'll post somemore as soon as I calm down. Although Amy did a great job.

--------------------
~ Beth

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1439 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3287

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review