All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
Re: Linz.... new
      #191164 - 07/03/05 03:05 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Well here's what a site that's selling it says about the ingredients...

Quote:

Slippery elm bark is a balm for inflamed or irritated tissue. It is mild enough for use by small children and yet very nutritive. Slippery elm is one of the best and mildest cleansers for the digestive system.

Marshmallow root is also known for its soothing, healing properties, especially for all the mucous membranes. Since the stomach and intestines are lined with these protective membranes, marshmallow helps the body get rid of substances that often collect or stick to these membranes.

Its pectin fiber is capable of carrying a host of toxic substances from the body.

Plantain leaves are known for their antiseptic properties and have been used to help neutralize certain poisons. They help reduce swelling of inflamed tissue, which can reduce pain. This allows blood to circulate and help heal the swollen area.

Chamomile flowers have nervine qualities, which can help the body cope with tension. Chamomile also has stimulates and helps digestive functions.

Rose hips contain vitamin C and its attendant compounds, which help neutralize toxic waste in the body. The wide range of nutritional and healing elements in rose hips makes them highly desirable for any digestive or bowel formula.

Bugleweed leaves amplify the properties of other herbs. With its sedative and tonic properties, it works well as a team player. As an astringent herb, bugleweed helps tightens the capillaries that may otherwise bleed—a benefit that may provide critical support to the bowel and stomach in times of stress.*

*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration.

Slippery Elm you know about.

Marshmallow is a demulcent, emmolient, diuretic, anti-inflammatory, expectorant. It's good for coughs and inflammation of the GI tract.

Fiber you know about...I'm not clued up on pectin specifically tho.

Plaintain is an expectorant, anti-inflammatory and astrigent....so it's good for coughs, hemms and possibly D!

Chamomile you know about.

Rosehips...as far as I know they're just a good source of vitamin C.

Bugleweed is specifically used for an overactive thyroid and it's possible side effects include hypothyroid and enlargement of the thyroid. It's also used as a sedative cough reliever. Traditionally, it was used as sedative and mild narcotic.

Hope that helps! I'm not sure what good that product would be compared to the Slippery Elm you're already taking as most of the other stuff is really just good for coughs and IBDs!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Thanks Linz. You're so AWESOME :) nt. new
      #191294 - 07/03/05 05:17 PM
doubletrouble

Reged: 11/14/04
Loc: Canberra, Australia

--------------------
Amy

Linz, is there any question you CAN'T answer??? Thanks! -nt- new
      #191468 - 07/04/05 11:49 AM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

Aw, you're so sweet! new
      #191477 - 07/04/05 12:21 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

That's means alot to me as I'm all Fibro-ed out and feeling useless.

One thing my now defunct degree did teach me how to do is research!

Amy new
      #191482 - 07/04/05 12:26 PM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

Incase I missed it, what's the latest on all this?

Re: Amy new
      #191501 - 07/04/05 01:09 PM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

Quote:

I was having daily D, had no idea what it meant to feel "well". For me well is not TOO many pains and cramps and not too bad D (going once or twice instead of heaps more).

For me, well is not having D! I work 10-13 hours per day PLUS a one-hour commute (one-way), so hell to me is a D attack. I do manage to keep the D barely under control with a lot of Imodium and prescription anti-spasmodics. There are some days when I have D no matter what, but usually it's only bad in the morning. I always have pain and cramps. There just isn't any way around that. The anti-spasmodics help a little bit, so does Tylenol, but it never goes away. I am not really that stressed, so don't think that's a contributing factor.

Quote:

Are you still eating anything other than wheat which MIGHT be triggering a reaction? Have you tried the what to eat when you can't eat anything diet?

I follow Heather's diet exactly -- I have been doing this a year now so I know all the rules and read labels like crazy. I keep my fat under 25% -- most days it's more like 10-15%. Because I have GERD, I also rarely eat "iffier" things like tomatoes, onions, garlic, etc. I eat practically no IF. I did cut out soy & peanut butter for six months, but it made absolutely no difference so I added it back in.

I was on the breaking the cycle diet for a month. I went off it not because I was feeling better but because I ended up so malnourished (although, for awhile there I did have killer cheekbones from all the weight I lost). I felt better once I started adding in more food.

Thanks for the list of GF staples in your other post -- I'll keep that handy once I do go GF.

Also, that's interesting that you mentioned the doctor might not think it important enough to say anything about the high antibodies. I had a CAT scan a week after my colonoscopy, and the barium I drank gave me the worst D I have ever had. Well, the D was bloody -- so of course I call the GI, freaking out. When the nurse finally called back (several hours later), she said, "Oh, yeah, that's due to the hemorrhoids." I was like, "What hemorrhoids???" She said, "Oh, the colonoscopy showed you had some small hemorrhoids." It drives me crazy that doctors just won't mention stuff like that. I know that it's not life-and-death stuff, but it's still information the patient should have!

OK, had a bit of a crazy fit there. Sorry.

I hope you are still feeling good GF! I am keeping my fingers crossed for you -- you've been sick long enough, you really deserve to stabilize. Also hope you're getting over the flu.

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

Jen, I'm not ignoring you new
      #191509 - 07/04/05 01:36 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I'll post somemore as soon as I calm down. Although Amy did a great job.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2603 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3296

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review