All Boards >> The Living Room

View all threads Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Acne advice
      #188984 - 06/24/05 05:25 PM
BarbaraS

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: Wisconsin

I have pimples all over my face and chapped lips. It is embrassing, especially when I don't wear makeup in hot humid weather.

What OTC medicine do you use? Does anybody see a doctor for it? I have my regular follow up next week with my doctor and I'm not sure what to ask him.

I feel like a face of a teenager again.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Acne advice new
      #188986 - 06/24/05 05:31 PM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

Hey- I suffer from adult acne as well. The only thing that ever really worked was Accutane, but the side effects were terrible. Right now I'm using the Nutrogena three step system and though not great, it is working pretty well. The face cleanser, day lotion and night lotion all come in one box, I think it was something like $20 bucks for the three. It's a rip off of the Proactiv system, which I've also heard works really well. I feel your pain though. I never got a single zit until I was 18, now my chin is constantly broken out. I hate it.

#189005 - 06/24/05 07:26 PM
DawnK

Reged: 06/23/05
Loc: Oregon

I know how you feel. I've been using Continuouly Clear by Serious Skin Care. You can find it on HSN. The three products in the kit I use are: Daily Ritual (cleanser), Clearz-it (day time blemish preventor) & continuously clear (Moisturizer).

I get asked all the time what I use to keep my skin so clear and this is my secret weapon...But I will tell anyone who asks :-)

Good Luck!

#189042 - 06/25/05 12:15 AM
Janey

Reged: 10/25/03
Loc: Maryland

My son and my niece had bad acne. They both have been using proactiv for a couple of years and their skin is clear. This stuff worked wonders for them. They have a web site www.proactiv.com. It doesn't take that long to clear up, I noticed a difference with my son in a very short time.

--------------------
Janey

Biore products have been better than ProActive etc. for my daughter. ~nt~ new
      #189066 - 06/25/05 06:58 AM
poochibelly

Reged: 04/27/05

--------------------
Have a blessed day!...Rachel
stable and sooooooo thankful!
I have IBS but it doesn't have me!

#189069 - 06/25/05 07:37 AM
Cara4503

Reged: 03/20/04

Make sure there is NO mineral oil in whatever you are putting on your skin! It is used a lot in moisturizers, and there is no need for it - it will really clog your pores.

--------------------
~Cara~

#189087 - 06/25/05 09:57 AM
Debby

Reged: 11/05/03
Loc: Cleveland, Ohio

i have had adult acne and have found the best relief in seeing a dermatologist. It's nice to have a professional to go to and she can probably help with the chapped lips. As for the acne I use a lotion called Claron and Differen daily. They are both by RX and kind of expensive but seem to last almost a year. Using both of these have helped more than anything over the counter. Also I use unscented Dove soap on my face and it's cheap and works great.

I've never found anything over the counter that works for me and I've been battling some kind of acne since I was a teenager!

#189131 - 06/25/05 02:53 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

I use cetaphil lotion as a cleanser (it's expensive but very good), and watch your salt intake. I noticed a real difference.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Soap (and other suggestions...) new
      #189141 - 06/25/05 04:16 PM
Cara4503

Reged: 03/20/04

You really should not use soap on your skin...you know that scum you clean off your shower walls?? That's from soap. You know that silk feeling left on your skin after you use soap - like it didn't really wash away?? That's the scum.
Soap bars main ingredient is - WAX! So you're putting a layer of wax on your skin. That will clog your pores and sit on them all day....no moisture or air will get in. Soap is very alkaline...it has a drying action and will prematurly age your skin over time. It strips your skin of it's natural oils....you don't want anything to leave a 'residue' on your skin.

Another rule of thumb - the more something SUDS, the more it is stripping your skin.

Also - don't hodge podge - or use a bunch of different brands of cleansers, freshenes, moisturizers, etc...products are all made at different pH levels - and you want those all to be the same, or you're confusing your skin - which leads to blotchiness and breakouts.

Make sure you moisturize!! Morning AND night. It's the most important thing. If you are oily, you still need to moisturize...in fact it's even more important for you. This is because w/o the moisture from a lotion, your skin will just produce MORE oil to make up for it. Your skin is craving the moisture if it's oily.

Make sure you're washing your face/moisturizing morning and night - VERY important! And never go to sleep with makeup on - you age your skin by 7 days everytime you do that.

Ok I'm all done - hope I helped and didn't confuse everyone!

--------------------
~Cara~

#189456 - 06/27/05 08:43 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I first started geting acne when I was around 12, I'm almost 35 and still battling it!! I really like Nutrogena products. Right now, I'm using the acne cleansing gel, its in a pump dispenser and its an orange gel, I use it morning and night. I also use the nutrogena moisturizer and shower gel! I do have a presciption for Differin Cream that I use and really like, it doesn't make you as dry and flakey as the rentina A creams do!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1604 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1958

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review