All Boards >> The Living Room

View all threads Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
AAAHHHHHHHHHHHHh
      #183569 - 06/04/05 09:28 PM
steather

Reged: 01/29/03
Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Okay, I love my cat to death most of the time....but it's times like this when I just want to wring his neck! And I'm not kidding! I don't know what is keeping me from strangling him!

He has just peed all over my couch. AGAIN. I have never had male cats before, and so this whole peeing all over things to mark his territory is very annoying. He's three years old! He should have grown out of this! I keep thinking if he was my kid, how patient would I be? Well, if he were my kid, at least he'd learn to grow out of it eventually!!!

HELP?!??!! Anyone? He usually pees when he gets upset, like if I haven't been home, or if I have a new roomate or boyfriend (he gets very jealous). But tonight there was none of the above! And I actually saw him do it tonight! He just kind of scrunched down and peed, right in front of me. What the heck???? And it was on one of his favorite lounging spots!! The last thing I want to be doing at 12 am is cleaning my couch.

He used to only pee on my bedspread. Yuck, I know. But at least I could just get cheap bedspreads and wash and replace them. But my couch?? That's gettin expensive! And GROSS!

With dogs you usually rub their noses in it, to teach them not to do it again. What do you do with cats??

I'm exasperated.

--------------------
Heather

"Quod me Nutrit me Destruit"

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: AAAHHHHHHHHHHHHh new
      #183587 - 06/05/05 02:11 AM
heather7476

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: South East Michigan

one question is he fixed? If not that may help.
If he is I don't think there is much you can do once a cat starts spraying. So far I have been lucky with my male cat he hasn't done that,but I have had male cats when I was a kid who did and we could never get them to stop. I hope someone else has some better advice for you.
HUGS

--------------------
Heather7476

#183592 - 06/05/05 02:52 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

I'm not very experienced with cats, but that sounds ALOT like he's trying to assert his dominance over you. If that was a dog (btw, you would NOT rub his nose in it, that's so bad) you'd need to get really strict about the pecking order, but can you train cats at all?

Oh, but getting him fixed should help as then he won't care so much about being the number one! Men!

#183594 - 06/05/05 03:04 AM
Janey

Reged: 10/25/03
Loc: Maryland

Sorry you are having such a difficult time with your cat. I have had cats for years and always pick females for that very reason. Male cats like to spray and there is nothing worse that cat urine, hard to get the smell out.

Has he been fixed? I have heard this does help. I would say do a search on line, there is so much info out there about cats and helpful hints. I would also talk to the vet and see what advice they can give.

There is a product on the market (usally at pet stores) that will get rid of the smell. Normal household cleaners won't work.

When I met my husband many years ago he had a male cat. He (the cat not hubby) had a corner in the dinning room that he liked to go to the bathroom in. We got new carpet and he became an outdoor cat. I couldn't take the chance that he would start spraying again.

Good Luck!

--------------------
Janey

#183615 - 06/05/05 08:36 AM
steather

Oops, I forgot to mention, he is fixed! I got him fixed as soon as I got him (when he was around 6 mos old). At that time he was doing another weird male thing, that was icky gross, which stopped as soon as he was fixed, thank goodness.

Is it technically called spraying, when he just squats and pees? I literally saw him this time, for the first time, and I had no clue what he was doing until after the fact! He just literally did this little squatting thing and left this huge puddle. I will never get a male cat again, thats for sure. I am just a sucker for abandoned cats, and Rocky was so gorgeous I couldn't leave him out to starve!!! (That's the story with most of the cats I've owned, hehe...I usually just find homes for them, but I got kind of attached to him. )

Thanks for the HUGS. I went to bed angry and didn't wake up much better! hehe

--------------------
Heather

#183619 - 06/05/05 08:43 AM
steather

Haha! Linz, you are so right! Why do males feel the need to assert their dominance? Ack. Unfortunately, he is fixed, so this is a problem that I'm going to have to deal with as long as I have him...grrrr. And he already has reign of the house! What else does he need? Lol.

--------------------
Heather

#183622 - 06/05/05 08:54 AM
SCgirl

Reged: 05/24/05
Loc: Charleston SC

I have a male cat too but he has been great! I used to work at a Vets office and when we saw male cats spray and do other things it was usually because the cats were older when they got neutered. They say that you should get your cat fixed when they are about 6 weeks old, (when they are able to survive without their mother's milk.) That way they dont start any habits before they are fixed. Anyway...just a thought! Only problem I have with my cat is that he has long hair and he get nasty hairballs!! Poor thing.lol

#183625 - 06/05/05 09:02 AM
steather

Janey,

I have had cats ever since I was a little girl, as well, and now I know why we always had female cats and male dogs! Male cats are a nuisance!

I have done many searches online...and found that changes in the household, too many cats, not enough litter boxes, litter that the cat doesn't like, and other factors can aggravate marking behavior. And I don't think it's the litter box, because he uses it extensively most of the time! And he's an only cat for now.

I will definitely be getting that "Natures miracle odor remover" that you were talking about! I'm off to the pet store right now. Let's hope it gets the odor out. Now I just have to find a way to keep him from going there again.

You know the best fix would be to turn him into an outdoor cat, but unfortunately, I live in an apartment and that's not possible When I first got him, I used to let him outside all the time, because that was how I found him, and I knew he knew the area well. So if I ever got mad at him, I would just toss him outside. I can't do that here in NC, because there's literally a jungle outside my complex, and I think he'd get eaten, not to mention lost! And there's all sorts of ticks and nasty bugs he can pick up here. I can't wait til I do have a house with a yard...I feel bad as it is, because there's so little room for him to run around and play in.

--------------------
Heather

#183626 - 06/05/05 09:08 AM
steather

Ya, I think that may have been my problem...I got him fixed as soon as I could, but he was a stray, so that obviously wasn't soon enough!!!

My cat is short haired, but he sheds like NO OTHER! I have had long hair cats that shed 1/5th as much as he! Luckily, he doesn't get hair balls, though I don't know how, cuz he's obviously ingesting alot of hair when he licks himself.

--------------------
Heather

#183627 - 06/05/05 09:11 AM
SCgirl

Reged: 05/24/05
Loc: Charleston SC

Hi I was just noticing that you live in Raliegh NC?? I am living close to Charlotte NC right now. Do you go to school in NC??

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 386 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1927

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review