All Boards >> The Living Room

View all threads Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Advice for blood tests
      #175042 - 04/29/05 09:03 AM
tnchawk

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: New Ken, PA

I am such a wus, but I have passed out 3x while giving blood for testing. There are times when I do ok and some techs are really good at it, but some are not.

Does anyone have any advice on how to get through these damn things. I have given birth, you think I'd be ok!

Thanks!

--------------------
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's all about???

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Advice for blood tests new
      #175047 - 04/29/05 09:10 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

If its the prick of the needle that is bothering you, you can ask them to use abutterfly needle. Its much smaller and goes in easier. It can take a little bit longer to actually draw the blood with them since its a smaller gauge but it hurts less and if you have "iffy" veins, like I do, it makes it easier!

I've had some HORRIBLE people trying to get blood from me or start on IV on me. My viens are hard to find and its always an ordeal. If you get someone who you don't like ot trust, ASK for someone else!!! I've done that before!

You can also ask them if you can lay down while they do it instead of sit in a chair, just remember to sit up slowly once they are done!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#175053 - 04/29/05 09:32 AM
tnchawk

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: New Ken, PA

Oh thanks! I didn't know that about the butterfly needle. I have hard to find veins too, so hopefully that will help. I will survive, but it is just a crappy thing to do. And being pregnant, you have to give blood all the time! Gross...

--------------------
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's all about???

#175056 - 04/29/05 09:45 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

I used to practically pass out before. When I was hospitalized, I had my blood drawn every 2 days. You get used to it. Focus on your breathing. Breathe deeply. Count in 4 and out 4. It gives you something to focus on and will help keep you getting oxygen.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#175152 - 04/29/05 02:55 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Lying down's a good idea. Most places will tell you too anyway if they know you're likely to faint! Get flat on the bed/trolley and you'll do best (head no higher than your feet).

And don't look! It's so much easier if you don't look AT ALL. I look out of the window from the moment I sit/lie down.

Breathing in 4 and out 4 through your nose is called "the calming breath" in yoga...it really helps.

#175230 - 04/29/05 10:17 PM
AlyssaKaye

Reged: 03/21/05
Loc: USA

I guess it depends on if you pass out for lack of blood volume/ lack of blood to the brain, or from fear.

If it's a physical response, just as if they can do it lying down. DRINK lots of water before, it is easier to find the vein, the vein is MUCH less likely to collapse (don't know if you have that problem, but I have that allot, and they are always having to start all over), and you are less likely to faint because the higher the blood volume, the more likely there will "be some left" up there for your brain where you need it.

If you pass out from fear/ nerves/ whatever, the calming breath bit is really the best advice. Don't look, ask them to say something like "1, 2, 3, 'Needle'" if it helps you not to have to wait and anticipate. That way you can calm down before-hand. Also, if you are at the same place that you have had good lab techs before, ask for them by name if you feel uncertain about the tech you have. Just say "Is Mike or Carole on shift this morning?" Most don't take offense at that at all, usually it means you know you are a "hard-stick" and are happy to let someone else take over.

Also, they really are not taking that much blood. The tubes are quite small, and for blood cultures or other tubes without additives (usually the ones with the yellow-black, red, or light-blue stoppers) don't even have to be *absolutely* full. The ones with additives to, to be mixed in the proper blood/ additive ratio, but those are usually for specialized testing.

Somehow, it helps me to know more about it. Makes it more "clinical" and less scary.

--------------------
~~~Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.~~~

#175235 - 04/29/05 11:10 PM
stevensa

Reged: 09/12/04
Loc: Texas

Good advice Alyssa! I'm a med tech with loads of experience drawing blood. You're absolutely right when it comes to being well hydrated. I certainly don't mind if someone requests a coworker by name. Patients can be funny, I had a patient that always requested me (she was a difficult draw) UNTIL one time that I missed her--nobody is on 100% of the time. She never requested me again, LOL! Another thing I don't understand is when patients tell you "you only have one try". Shucks! I really wanted to stick you twice. Talk about adding pressure to a situation--nobody misses on purpose!

I pass out too new
      #175277 - 04/30/05 08:06 AM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

Oh, I know how you feel!! They say it's about 10% of us who pass out at the sight of blood (at least that's what the technicians and doctors tell me to make me feel better!).

I made them put a note in my chart that ALL blood work must be done with the patient lying down, after a doc recommended it. It's really funny, cos it's right up there at the top of the first page in RED when you open my chart!

Not only do I pass out, but I'll have a seizure where my eyes roll upwards, my hands cup at my chest and my back spasms back and forth in violent convulsions. Very dramatic, they tell me. Hey, I take their word for it cause I'm out cold the whole time! Then I wake up hyperventilating and the person who's there has to get me to breathe normally.

And I'm always soooooo embarrassed because I know exactly what's happened-- sometimes I actually say "I'll PASSING out!" before it happens.

So don't worry, you're not alone. You can do breathing exercises and sip a sugery drink (if allowed before your bloodwork) to keep yourself out of shock. But def get the work done lying down. All of these things really help.

Good luck to you!!

~nelly~

Re: I pass out too new
      #175291 - 04/30/05 09:28 AM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: Maryland

me too me too!

Mine isnt' really from getting the shot.. those don't bother me.

my problem is seeing the actual blood. I remember one time the lady left the vials right on the counter and I thought I passed right out. I also need to be laying down. But the sight of blood really doesn't make me feel so good.

Mines really sporadic though.. and its generally only my own blood that makes me pass out. I've passed out about four or five times just looking at my own cuts that i've gotten and seeing my own blood.

As for blood and guts shows.. I can't do that without covering my eyes. haha.. i'm weird I know.

I dunno how I'm going to take care of my kids if they fall of their bike. I'm gonna just think.. ok wait for dad to get home haha.

--------------------

#175294 - 04/30/05 10:00 AM
JBI

Reged: 01/25/04
Loc: BC, Canada

That would happen to me too. I just always ask if I can lie down and it seems to work.

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2189 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1695

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review