All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)
Re: I'm sorry, but my mom sucks! new
      #154287 - 02/25/05 05:46 PM
Angela E.

Reged: 10/14/04
Loc: Michigan

Tina-
Haven't had a lot of time lately to post, but I have kept up a bit with what has been going on and I just wanted to say hang in there and I know you did the right thing. As for your mom she is probably just worried about you, so take it in stride. I hope you are getting some chance to enjoy your new single life!!!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

#154290 - 02/25/05 06:00 PM
Natalie1985

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: UK - Leeds for uni, Merseyside for home!

Hey tina,

God its so frustrating when people say things at the worst of times just to make you feel like you're the bad one in all this I know Ive been there sooooo many times....as if you havent been thinking about this decision for ages now....all you need when you're going through this difficult time is lack of support from people you care about. I would be fuming too....why does life have to be so complicated hey....I never can understand why people cant just accept decisions you make and understand that your point of view isnt always gona be the same as theirs....Im sure your parents mean well....parents always do I know....just sometimes they look at stuff from their perspective and not yours....I think maybe you should really discuss this properly in person with your mum and tell her how hard its been for you.....Im sure she'll understand if she hears more of the full story.
Hope things get better....dont let her get you feeling down...you've made the right decisions for you....what other people think of them isnt the most important thing.....stay strong.....the more you think about what she said the more its gona stress you out!

--------------------
Natalie

Bev you are an inspiration..... new
      #154291 - 02/25/05 06:05 PM
Natalie1985

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: UK - Leeds for uni, Merseyside for home!

Just wanted to say how fantastic your post was....I am 20 and went to an all girls school...taught mainly by feminists hence the reason I am one and I have sooooo much respect for all the women who stood up to men and got to where we are today....I love learning about all that stuff and your story is just so great. Good on you for doing what YOU wanted and making something of yourself that is such a fantastic thing to have achieved....I feel proud of you and Ive never even met you.....I love powerful women!!!! WELL DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!

--------------------
Natalie

#154297 - 02/25/05 06:23 PM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

I just have to forget about her opinion and do what's best for me. I hope she calms down in a few days and realizes hwo hard this has all been for me.

Re: I said I wouldn't but I can't help it.... new
      #154298 - 02/25/05 06:24 PM
daliatree

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Manhattan, New York

Tina..sorry its taken me a while to read this post - my parents were here visiting....huge huge congratulations on walking away from this relationship - there is something sooo much better out there for you - you are gorgeous and successful and wonderful and don't ever forget it. you are so inspiring and strong - what you have done is not easy....I am so happy for you!! :-)

--------------------
Feel the fear and do it anyway!

Re: Stand Firm, SS! new
      #154299 - 02/25/05 06:25 PM
Sara-Sage

Thanks you SO MUCH Bev. Can you be my adopted mom. You're so great. I really needed to hear such supportive words from a wise woman who is a strong lady! I respect you so much and your words mean a lot to me.

#154301 - 02/25/05 06:29 PM
Sara-Sage

Yeah, I hope she sees the light. I am enjoying my single life, Thank you. I will enjoy it WAY more when I have my own place though.

Re: I said I wouldn't but I can't help it.... new
      #154302 - 02/25/05 06:29 PM
Sara-Sage

Oh thanks for those kind words Dalia. I know there's someone WAY better already out there for me.

#154328 - 02/25/05 09:22 PM
ptillen

Reged: 06/27/04
Loc: Milwaukee WI

Wow, you're getting to sound more like me all the time (or is it that I'm like you?). My relationship with my mother has been the bane of my adult life. Everyone around her thinks she's the sweetest, kindest woman- except me! She'll bend over backward for anyone else, but seems incapable of kindness or support to her daughter.
When I left my first husband, (a weak loser) the only thing she thought to say was "Gee, I always thought you were doing OK, I mean, he didn't beat you."
Then when I started dating again she said "Oh, Paula, not another one."
When I lost 25 pounds she didn't say a word. When I put it back on, she said, "Well, you have had some weight fluctuations, haven't you?"
She has refused for decades to come to any show, any concert, any performance of any sort that I've done. When I finally mentioned that I found this rather hurtful, she told me to get over it.
The coup de grace came when I married my now-husband. We had our wedding in our home, in December of 1996. Because of snow and other exigencies, our friend, a Lutheran pastor, who was to perform the ceremony, was rather late, so of course the ceremony was delayed. Well, my parents decided it was past their bedtime and they couldn't stay to see their daughter get married. So they left.
The next morning my mother called and said, "Well. Are you married or not?"
ARGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!
My husband (a very wise man) had advised me to give up on seeking any sort of emotional support from my family. Respect them, love them even, but expect nothing from them, because they're incapable of giving it. And to get the support I need from my circle of friends (of which I have some very nice ones.)
I now pass that advice on to you.

TINA!!! new
      #154336 - 02/26/05 12:46 AM
Sheri01

Reged: 04/19/04
Loc: New Jersey

This breaks my heart to hear, because i Know to an extent how it is. My mom does the same thing to me. THere have bben times when I have broken up with a bf that she didn't evebn like, but she would get on my case for dumping. Hell-o! Does this make any sense? aTkeast she backed off alittle this last breakup, but she did still come down on me alittle. I am not going to let myself become an old maid, if that is what she is worried about! I think she is caught up in 'back in her day', when people got marreid at my age *shudder*.
Just ignore her is all i can say! You and all of us in the boards KNOW trhat you made the right decision! She will come around once she drama is gone,
Love ya tina, and it sucjks to know you are going through such a rouhg time ! I wish we were close r in age anbd lived closer together, we rcould go out!
P.s.- isn't it great htat I didn't do TOOO bad tyoing this drunk? I met a guy toniught too, not bf material, but we like alot of the same things and could be good friends i think

--------------------
-Sheri

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1117 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 16772

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review