All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
Help! Need Advice.
      #140831 - 01/21/05 07:30 PM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

I'm going to apologize in advance for this very long post. So if you make it to the bottom, you'll get a cookie.

My current neighbors moved into the apartment next to mine last July. Their bedroom and my bedroom share a wall together. I've never met them, but it feels like I know their whole life story because every night around 10pm, they begin to raise their voices at each other - loud enough that I can hear every word they're saying when I'm trying to go to sleep!

This started in August and I've complained about them to the manager 7-8 times. After the 2nd time, Holly (the manager at the time) told me to call the courtesy security patrol to be a third party witness. This patrol is ridiculous, though, because it takes them 30-45 minute to respond to a call, and then if they don't hear anything from standing on the sidewalk outside, they leave!

Finally, last November, Holly gave me her pager number and told me to page her the next time it happened. Sure enough, it happened a week later at 3am in the morning (woke me from a medicated sleep!) and she came and heard them. She went over there with a patrol guy and spoke with them, and even wrote them a final warning letter the next day. They were pretty quiet after this.

In December, my apartment complex was bought and ownership changed. Holly is gone and we don't even have a current manager. We have some employee lackies that don't know anything that they're doing.

So Wednesday night, they start back up again. I try to ignore them and retreat to my couch like I usually do so I can get some sleep, hoping this is a one night thing. Not so lucky - they start yelling at each other again last night! I call the security patrol and tell them not to bother making a special trip because they won't do anything, but to please make a note in their daily report. The operator was great and very sympathetic!

I call today to make an appointment with the manager, and the gal informs me that an intern manager won't be there until Tuesday! I said that's fine, but I'd like to come down and get the dates of the complaints I made so that I can write a formal letter.

I go down there and she gets out my neighbor's file. She's in the middle of reading them and giving me the dates, when she says, "Oh.. that's weird.. the old manager told them which apartment was complaining about them in the letters..." I was furious! Holly had been telling me that she had not been telling them who was complaining, which I appreciated because I live by myself in my apartment! I don't need retaliation incidents!

Before finding this out, I was simply going to write a letter stating that they either needed to evict these people or move me (all expenses paid) to a different apartment in the complex. Now I feel like I have to move for safety reasons! I already know they have tempers - I don't need them directed at me!

I am worried, though, that because it was the old manager's mistake, they won't do anything. The previous company that owned my complex is a big apartment company that still has a ton of complexes around San Jose so I can still contact them.. but that would be really hard to get it resolved.

I guess my question is - am I over reacting? I told both my parents and my BF, and all three think I definitely need to move. However, I got into a fight with my best friend because he thinks that because they haven't threatened me, I shouldn't worry about it!

Looking for any and all suggestions on the best way to handle this situation! Oh, and here's your cookie:

--------------------
- Jennifer

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Help! Need Advice. new
      #140838 - 01/21/05 08:18 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Oh good... the cookie was waiting for me at the end of the post.

Having been in a similar situation with ridiculously noisy neighbors, them knowing who was making complaints, and yes, we DID actually get some retaliation going on... I say you're not overreacting, and I would seriously start looking to move. NOT necessarily because of fear of retaliation, but at this point, I would say that nobody's going to do anything about the noisy neighbors... how much longer can you put up with their screaming matches at 3am?

Good luck!

#140840 - 01/21/05 09:05 PM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

I just sent you an email about this from Shane.

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

#140865 - 01/22/05 03:40 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

its not the retaliation but the lack of resolution that should be why you are moved... I'd focus on that... They were sent a final warning letter- thus should have been evicted when you made the next complaint and it could be verified. That is not acceptable.

You have rights as a tenant. if they aren't going to act to ensure those- they should move you. I would also plan on moving when my lease is up if I were you so I could get away from the lack of management before other things happen.

By the way- you have rights beyond that. Talk to a lawyer- its illegal to have provided your name. I called on a neighbor shooting a gun in a barrel once and my name was given as well as which house I live in. the cop who did so lost his job over it. I also firmly believe it may have soemthing to do with the fires at our current (soon to be no longer) residence in the last 15 months!

Most cities have noise codes. excessive noise is a violation of your rights and you can call the cops rather then security- they will come to your apartment first- and hopefully respond fast enough to hear the noise! then go to the neighbors and give them a warning followed by tickets. Maybe the monetary expense will be enough for them to realize this has to stop!

Amie

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

#140894 - 01/22/05 07:46 AM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

Wow- that's really frustrating. And in a weird way, I feel bad for your neighbors- seems like they're having a lot of problems in their relationship.

I would say moving is a good idea, for one thing it would be nice to move somewhere with a more stable management team. However, every single apartment I ever lived in had some sort of horrible major drawback, so who knows.

It is interesting that they haven't done anything to retaliate yet- were these incidents over a period of time? It could be that they're not bad people, they're just in a horribly disintergrating relationship and it's causing them to act like jerks.

Or they could just be jerks. Either way, I hope you figure something out soon to save your sanity.

I agree - call the cops! new
      #140903 - 01/22/05 08:08 AM
MCV

Reged: 01/04/05
Loc: Manchester, NH

Ahhhh...isn't apartment living fun??? I would definitely call the cops the next time this happens. I'd be willing to bet that they'd be WAY more help than what you have been receiving!

--------------------
>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<
Michelle
IBS-A, pain predominant

Re: I agree - call the cops! new
      #140908 - 01/22/05 08:23 AM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

Thanks everybody for your replies! The apartment manager didn't give my actual name, but said that it was my apartment that complained. Since I'm the only one who lives here - that sort of limits the possibilities of who could have complained!

Since they haven't done anything or threatened me, I don't think they would actually do something. However, they haven't gotten evicted yet so maybe that would push their buttons.

I'm really hesitant to call the cops. Sometimes they go through 2-3 minutes of silence where I think they just stare at each other, and then start yelling again. Part of me is afraid that if I call the cops, they'll be done by the time the cops show up. Sometimes they'll argue for hours, while other times they'll just argue for 20 minutes (just enough to wake me up and cause insomnia for a few hours!).

Regardless, I think I will call the police next time since the courtesy patrol recommended I call the police too. I can just tell the police that they told me to call.

However, this is the first time that I've complained since that final warning. And since there is no manager on site, I have to wait until the intern manager shows up next Tuesday to talk to her. I would think that this complaint would be the one to evict them. Although the last manager told me that sometimes they just don't let them renew their leases when they run out! Which is dumb because then I'd have to put up with them until their lease ran out.

My mom suggested that I tell this apartment management that I want out of my lease, and then I contact the old management that still has apartment complexes in San Jose and tell them that they need to move me (all expenses paid!) to an apartment in their community and waive my deposit until it is released from the current management (20 days after I move). I did really like their community and the services that they offered, and I'm sure this was just a bad manager.

Thanks for all the advice you guys! I slept on my couch last night just in case they argued because I knew I would not have the patience to deal with it again.

--------------------
- Jennifer

#140909 - 01/22/05 08:26 AM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

I have had LOTS of bad/noisy neigbours and it just plain sucks!

All the neighbours that I am having problems with in this building know it's me, or my unit. The people next door have recieved numerous complaints and after them still not being quiet, I now bang on the wall. They sometimes turn it down. And they know it's me. The worst they've done is give me dirty looks. But the management is involved so they wouldn't dare relatiate. Well, unless they want to be evicted or have the cops involved.

If I were you, I would DEFINITELY move ASAP. They're both just too screwed up and should break up if they can't get along. Screaming matches that wake you up froma sound sleep are unacceptable. Unless they get evicted or decide to move in the next week, I would just leave. Get out of that mess! Please.

Keep us updated please.

Jeesh! new
      #140938 - 01/22/05 09:24 AM
RachelT

Reged: 07/01/04
Loc: Minnesota

I wasn't online yesterday, so I didn't see your post until now!

What a mess! I've been there done that too! When DH and I lived in our only apartment, we had neighbors that would actually take their fights into the hallway and out the door to the parking lot... right under our windows! They would even get pretty physical at times (well, usually it was the woman getting physical while the guy would do whatever he could to defend himself. ).

One night we finally called the police on them, and got to listen to the entire thing... it was summer and we had our deck door and windows open. As it turned out, the woman was wanted by the police for forging checks at her last place of employment and the guy never knew about it. Funny how things can turn out, huh! They hauled her off to jail and the guy was left to evaluate his relationship.

We felt bad that the poor guy had to find out what kind of a woman he was dating through the police, but happy that we didn't have to deal with the loud fights any longer.

I hope everything turns out ok for you with this! I do agree with what other people have said... I don't think you're overreacting, but you might want to look into moving yourself.

Good luck! Keep us updated on how it turns out!

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)
If life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!

Apartment Living stinks! new
      #140945 - 01/22/05 09:42 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Tina and I were talking about our frustrations with Noisy apartment neighbors a little while back. It stinks that you have no control over who the landlord allows to live and continue to live in your "home" environment.

I know in my case the stress of noisy neighbors is definately aggravating my Health (physical and emotional) and that my IBS suffers from it! But like you, apartment living is the only option right now. Unfortunately even moving doesn't guarentee silence, but I think it would definately be a big improvement over what your going through now. That's horribe and you should'nt be expected to live under those circumstances.

I think you've already gotten some good advice from the others and I agree with all of them. You should move. And if the neighbors have known it was you complaining this whole time and they haven't done anything to get back at you yet, I don't think they will. They probably would have done it already. But still, I think you should take the advice that everyone has already offered.

GL Jennifer Rose. I'm so sorry you are being forced to deal with something like this.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 995 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1917

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review