All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
This may be the best present ever!
      #132882 - 12/24/04 02:08 PM
Sheri01

Reged: 04/19/04
Loc: New Jersey

I don't know if anyone remembers me posting about my little bro with Asbergers before, and how he has let himself go and how much it upsets me that I can't seem to help him lose the weight and am afraid that he will get very ill blah blah blah....
But, I think I found a soloution! Duh, the gym I go to! I go there so much that it would be no problem to pick him up and let him tag along a couple days a week! I spoke to my mom who loves the idea, and I spoke to the staff and my trainer about it, too. My trainer BEGGED me to let him work with him, he can have the time slot after me and we can carpool! It is so great becuase they will know better than me on how to have him safely lose weight.
I haven't talked to brother about it, but it will so make my YEAR if he goes for it. We will have some extra time to bond, too. And I have a feeling that it will help his other "issues" if he has a health ybody image and learns a little discipline of exercise. I am taking him to check it out on Sunday, and if he likes it I will sign him up for a membership. Then, on Monday he will tag along and check out my training session, then if he is comfortable enough he will have his first session. If he really likes it, I will sign him up for training deals.
My mother is really excited I want to do this for him, the only problem is going to be getting through to him and getting him to do it. If he sticks with it for a little bit he will lvoe it. I already explained every last detail about him, so they know how to deal with him and his capabilities/limits at the gym.
The only problem will be when I start school again, I will have the major responsibility of getting him AND me there. I can't count on my parents, they are too unpredictable and you can not count on them, especially mom, and she is the one with all the time. I spent a many nights standing outside of school events or whatnot freezing my butt off waiting for her to pick me up way late. I missed many appointments from her not getting me there on time, when I got my license and a car, that was the best day of my life!

I am so crossing my fingers that this works!

--------------------
-Sheri

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: This may be the best present ever! new
      #132884 - 12/24/04 02:29 PM
jamiep

Reged: 12/21/04
Loc: Arroyo City Texas USA

Sheri,

I think that's a great idea! I'll keep hoping for him to go along with it. Good Luck.

Love,

Jamie

#132972 - 12/26/04 06:46 AM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

Oh Sheri, that would be so great! Do you think he is comfortable with going to a public place with so many people?

You are such a wonderful sister! new
      #133023 - 12/26/04 06:06 PM
ecmmbm

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: North Carolina

I hope this is fantastic for him. It's all about the "connection" he makes with the trainer. I hope it's positive from the start. Hugs - you're great to him, you know that?

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle
...the greatest of these is LOVE. (I Cor 13)

Update new
      #133037 - 12/26/04 08:33 PM
Sheri01

Thanks michelle, tina, and jamie! I have an update!
I took him to the gym tonight, and he liked it! We signed him up, and tomorrow night he will get to work out with the trainer for the first time!
Only one problem... my Mom turned into Mr. Hyde tonight afterwards, and for some reason she is really pissed because since I signed him up so the membership is in my name, even though he is named as the member. She basically said that she didn't trust me and that if they wanted out of the membership she didn't like the idea of having to go through me! That really made me mad that she is trying to accuse me of things. She doesn't understand the concept of a gym membership, and wants me to buy him like a year long one. Argh! I told her they don't work like that.
The real clincher is, that he is getting SUCH a good deal. He pays HALF what I do a month, becuase all the cards happened to fall in line for him to get a great deal. She kept talking herself into a circle, any time I would explain away a problem she had, she would come up with a new one. It boils down to that SHE wants to be in control, but it is not that easy to switch it to her, and there really is no reason to! If she wanted all this responsibility she could try being a mother. if it was up to her, he would never make it to his training sessions, or the gym period.
Tomorrow night he gets a freebie training session, then I have to buy him a package, and now I have to go through dad for everything. Dad is not as understanding as mom, and can be kinda cheap sometimes. He may not go for it, but I really believe my little bro needs it, especially at first. but, if it comes down to it and he says no I can play trainer for him, and research stuff and get him on a routine I guess.
She is so twosided! I really can't stand the woman when she acts like this, I am glad I do not have to live with her anymore. She never takes full responsibility of having kids. I also found out tonight that my brother hasn't been going to school, he has went maybe one week out of the school year. My dad gave up on it, my mom is 'trying' (as she says) to get him tutoring. He says he is having panic attacks, but of course he is not concerned with trying, no kid wants to go to school! I went through the same thing, but there was never a period of time where I did not have tutoring or SOMETHING. Hopefully all the time I will be spedning with him may do some good to help him get back on track in that area, too.

--------------------
-Sheri

Re: Update new
      #133088 - 12/27/04 06:40 AM

Unregistered

Sorry I was late on reading the first post, but I just want to say how amazing of a sister you are to do all of that for your brother. How awful though of your mom to make the whole thing so difficult. Having 3 brothers of my own I know I'd be like you and do anything I could to make sure that they had the best life they could have.

A family we are really close with, 2 of the kids are autistic, one much worse than the other, and I don't really know how things are classified, but I know the one that's worse has the Aspergers things too. But just growing up with those kids I have just a little idea of how difficult that must be because they are so stubborn! But anyhow I really hope that your plan works out because I think if they have something to feel good about, then it really changes their whole motivation for things.

Best of luck and keep us posted on how things go!

Hopefully everything goes well! Good luck, Sheri! -nt- new
      #133089 - 12/27/04 06:43 AM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

--------------------
- Jennifer

#133092 - 12/27/04 06:58 AM
TommyNY

Reged: 04/29/04

Sheri,that sounds like a great idea. I hope you're brother is up for it. If he is not, just know that it is a good idea even if you only go.

Hope you had an awesome holiday!

--------------------

Re: Update #2 new
      #133337 - 12/28/04 08:24 AM
Sheri01

he loved the trainer! Or, atleast liked him anyways. We even did some weight lifting together so that it would be fun for him. Trainer also said he would give him a list of healthier fast food choices, so he can still eat at Mickey D's , etc, if he misses it. My mom thinks it is a great idea (turned back to Dr. Jekyl again)! And I just learned that he was referred to a PT awhile back, but never went. So, we are signing him up for sessions!
I am so excited

--------------------
-Sheri

#133338 - 12/28/04 08:25 AM
Sheri01

missed this earlier, hope you had a happy holiday, too. Myself, I could not ask for a happier holiday than the one I had this year!

--------------------
-Sheri

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 50 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 804

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review