All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
Well I'm off to NY today
      #132058 - 12/21/04 06:36 AM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

So I lost my job on Thursday, and I'm going to take it easy for a while. So I'm off to NY this afternoon to cool my heels and de-stress. I've put in a last-minute load of laundry and I'm going to trek over to buy some Imodium for the road while I wait for my ride to get here.

Um. Oh, Yeah. I lost my job. Seems my boss was sending a subtle hint by not giving us our travel subsidies for the last 4 months, and not paying our health insurance for the last 2. So he officially closed the office Thursday in a great fit of grinch-like sociopathy. I am now officially the problem of MD State unemployment insurance.

Sorry for not coming clean last week. But I am in a good shape with my bills and savings, and BF is being extremly supportive (I mean, how can't he, really? My mother has cancer and I'm out of a job. And oh, yeah it's xmas too).

Anywho, just wanted to come clean. Now I'm going to decorate the dog with bells and yarn, then do some packing.

If you see me in NY this afternoon, give me a hug and buy me a magically IBS-ok appletini!

~nelly~

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Well I'm off to NY today new
      #132060 - 12/21/04 06:42 AM
Ravenndark

Reged: 11/28/04
Loc: the internet

*hugs*

I hope you have an awesome trip, and that everything will work out for you!

#132063 - 12/21/04 06:45 AM
Nelly

Thanks, I appreciate it! Going to try to relax and soak in the big apple.

Love your name, Isabel! And happy bday!

~nelly~

Nelly! new
      #132064 - 12/21/04 06:47 AM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

Oh Nelly, I know there is no good time to lose your job but the week before Christmas just sucks as the worst ever. I am so sorry for you. I had wondered that you weren't posting for a few days and was missing you!

You are doing the right thing getting out of DC and
chilling a bit, giving your head some peace as we would say here.

I'll raise a magical appletini to you.

Hugs,

--------------------
S.

#132065 - 12/21/04 06:49 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

Hey when it rains, it pours, right? Sorry you're getting hit with so much crap right now. Enjoy NYC -- but wear layers! It's FREEZING here. I hope you have a big fluffy scarf that you can wrap around most of your face because it is almost too cold to be outside. Hope you have fun!

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

#132066 - 12/21/04 06:56 AM
Nelly

Thanks, AP!! I will grab my softest, longest pashmina and wrap it around my head!! It was like 9 degrees here last night (ugh!) so I may have to indulge and get a fuzzy hat at saks! Darn it, I deserve one!

Anyway, thanks again. I don't know what I would do without you girls.

~nelly~

Re: Nelly! new
      #132067 - 12/21/04 06:58 AM
Nelly

I love magical appletinis, thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I feel so silly now for not just posting when it happened. Don't know what I was thinking, cos you guys are so awesome. Thanks, Sinead.

~ny nelly~

#132068 - 12/21/04 07:02 AM
TommyNY

Reged: 04/29/04

Nelly, sorry to hear that. That really sucks. COming to NY City is a good idea though. Its supposed to warm up to a balmy 38 degrees today.

If you're looking for a cool place to have a martini, try this one, Chez Es Saada, in the East Village, whose addres is 42 East 1st street. Or if you're looking for a place that has good food and drink and is decorated beautifully for CHristmas, try Rolf's on 23rd and 3rd.

Have fun and clear your head. Merry CHristmas.

--------------------

#132070 - 12/21/04 07:05 AM
Nelly

Hey, thanks for the suggestions! That's really nice! I'm def up for a meal when i'm there, so I will take your recommendations to heart.

I really appreciate the support, man. Thanks.

~nelly~

nelly new
      #132076 - 12/21/04 07:39 AM
Sheri01

Reged: 04/19/04
Loc: New Jersey

That just plain ol' sucks! I feel so horrible for you. there will be a better job out there for you. Your boss is such a jerk for not letting anyone know, even though I am sure you suspected it just alittle it sounds. At least you get to have some time off, in NYC of all places! For time #2! I STILL didn't make it there, so better luck next year.
Oh, and I am picturing your doggie all dressed up for christmas, he looks so cute!
And I will raise a magical magarita to your and Sinead's appletinis.
Grrr.... we should all take today off and meet up in NYC, that would be fun! If only I could...

--------------------
-Sheri

#132080 - 12/21/04 07:52 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Well, I think Sherie said it best, "that just plain old sucks!" I'm glad to hear that you won't be struggling too much financially, that should help take some of the stress off! Have a great time in NY, you deserve it!!!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#132088 - 12/21/04 07:59 AM
Nelly

Thanks, Michele. You're a star! The unemployment insurance really helps, but it's not going to be a picnic (never is when you're out of work). But I do have this one friend who came out of the woodwork to take me to NY, so it's nice to be taken care of, esp over the holidays.

Hope this streak won't last too long! I've already been on one interview Friday, and sent in my resume for 5 other jobs, but nobody's going to hire the last weeks of Dec, so i'm just trying to make the best of it!!

Thanks for the kind support, M! You really rock. I'll raise a glass to you tonight!

~nelly~

Re: nelly new
      #132091 - 12/21/04 08:03 AM
Nelly

Hey chica! Thanks, I guess I was trying to get out of there anyway, but it's always a shock when something like this happens. I literally had my desk packed in a box for 10 days by the time the word came down. So it was like, grab whatever's not nailed down ("severance package") and get the heck outta dodge.

The NEXT time I go to NY, you're going to be there, hear me, Sheri??

Dog sez hi!

~nelly~

#132092 - 12/21/04 08:06 AM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: Maryland

oh boo that sucks..

for this i'll tell you my favorite quote...
when life hands you lemons.. stick them down your shirt and make your boobs look bigger.

ehh go to new york.. spend toomuch money and have fun.. you deserve it.

--------------------

Oh, Nelly new
      #132093 - 12/21/04 08:07 AM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

I'm so sorry about your job. You have enough on your plate right now to be dealing with this too. Maybe God has something special planned for you in 2005. You will be in my thoughts and prayers during the holidays.
By the way, how is your Mother?

#132097 - 12/21/04 08:21 AM
mindyj

Reged: 05/14/04
Loc: Northern Virginia

Nelly, nelly - you SO should have told us earlier - but I also understand not wanting to - something similar happened at my job about 2 years ago and I ended up waitressing for 4 months - not a time I recall happily and not one that I enjoyed talking about at the time either! But anyways, I'm so glad you've found a way to relax here - I'm sure NY will be beautiful this time of year - just take your long johns! It won't be any warmer there than it is here and my goodness have we been shivering the last few days!! On the job thing, also, don't forget that I'm in this city too and I know people who work in your field (you're in event planning right?) - but you should send me a resume and I could ask around for you. Let me know and I'll give you my email if you're interested. For a word of encouragement - I will also tell you that when I did end up waitressing for the summer and half the fall of 2003, once I finally got back on my feet and into the job that I'm doing now, I've been extraordinarily happy with my position here - these things will work out in the end and you'll move on to something better - there's no other option for someone with as much tallent and determination as you have!
All best - and let me know about the resume.
Min

#132100 - 12/21/04 08:27 AM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

Oh my gosh Nelly. That's really tough news sweetie.

I can't believe that they would not give you more warning and do it right before Christmas.

Do you have any plans on what you're going to do job-wise? Take some time off and enjoy your employment insurance? I'm glad that you have some savings. I have none so I would be really rough if I got laid off.

My heart goes out to you Nelly. try to enjoy yourself in New York today and I am sending you a big hug, a gorgeous bouquet of flowers and excellent IBS friendly yummies your way.

Tina

#132104 - 12/21/04 08:37 AM
Nelly

LOL! Lemons would be an improvement for me.

Thanks for the encouragement. I knew you would understand if I spent all my money. Why can't men get that??

~nelly~

Re: Oh, Nelly new
      #132106 - 12/21/04 08:40 AM
Nelly

My mom is doing exceptionally well, thanks for asking! She's the healthy one in the family and she's taking the radiation like a champ. I really want to do something for her, but all she says she wants is a new pair of slippers. Moms. Gotta love 'em.

I'm so ready for 2005. I'm really excited about the future roght now. Thanks for the bright message and I appreciate the prayers!!

~nelly~

Alright! It's a deal -nt- new
      #132109 - 12/21/04 08:46 AM
Sheri01

Reged: 04/19/04
Loc: New Jersey

--------------------
-Sheri

Well CRAP!!! new
      #132110 - 12/21/04 08:47 AM
heather7476

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: South East Michigan

OMG NELLY!!! BIG HUGE HUGS!!! It will all work out in the end!!! This just means there is a better job just waiting for you!!! Take some time, rest,get drunk,dance on tables & ENJOY yourself!!!! Try to have a merry christmas!! And rember what happened to scrooge he got the [censored] scared out of all night christmas eve!!! HEHEHE here is hoping your ex boss has a similay experince!!!
HUGS

--------------------
Heather7476

Oh dear Nelly new
      #132118 - 12/21/04 09:29 AM

Unregistered

I'm sorry to hear that you're going through such a rough time! You are definitely doing the right thing by getting out of town for a bit and having some fun in NYC.

I hope things start looking up for you in the new year and that you find an even better job real soon! Stay warm and big big hugs!

#132119 - 12/21/04 09:30 AM
Nelly

Min, you're a champ! I'd love the help finding a new job and I'd be glad to forward my resume! Did you hear about the gunman at 15th and Kst today?

You are so sweet! Thanks for the support!!

~nelly~

#132131 - 12/21/04 10:04 AM
mindyj

Reged: 05/14/04
Loc: Northern Virginia

Hi Nell,
Next time I see you're online I'll post my email address - I don't like it hanging out for too long on the site, I'm afraid I'll get spammed. After you've gotten it, I'll erase the post. Anyways - interesting news about downtown - I used to work just one block from there - kindof scarry! But I hope that you can take your mind off things for a bit while in NY - I know it's so hard to loose a job all of a sudden like that and especially right at Christmas! I'm glad you have some savings and a caring BF involved. Have a good time up north!
Min

#132136 - 12/21/04 10:42 AM
daliatree

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Manhattan, New York

oh nelly...I am so sorry...poor you...this is not fun at all! I'm in NYC if you are here and want to meet up! how long are you around for?

--------------------
Feel the fear and do it anyway!

Hope you have a fab day..... new
      #132142 - 12/21/04 11:22 AM
Natalie1985

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: UK - Leeds for uni, Merseyside for home!

Hey Nelly,

So sorry to hear about your job situation, but glad you've got a positive outlook on it all....hope you're enjoying your time in New York, its 7.16pm here at the moment, so Im guessing its around 2pm in NY right now...where are you...Im thinking....credit card....Macys....clothes department?? Or are you in the middle of sipping that appletini?? Let us know what you splashed that cash on girl....its the festive season so enjoy it!!!

--------------------
Natalie

#132143 - 12/21/04 11:24 AM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

Oh Nelly.... I'm so sorry you lost your job..... tell the x boss...NICE TIMEING.... that really sucks!!

Well, you enjoy your time away and just chill out honey.... you'll find something after the 1st of the year I'm sure of it.

TAKE CARE....**BIG HUGS**

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

Glad your mom is doing well! new
      #132159 - 12/21/04 12:45 PM
Sara-Sage

#132209 - 12/21/04 05:42 PM
doubletrouble

Reged: 11/14/04
Loc: Canberra, Australia

Oh Nelly, I'm so sorry all this has been going on. Enjoy your trip and do plenty of de-stressing while you are there. I hope you come back feeling a bit more positive and relaxed. I hope also that you find a new job soon. I'm sure it will all work out okay in the end. I'll send my prayers for your mum. I hope she is okay. See you when you get back.

--------------------
Amy

For Nelly new
      #132266 - 12/22/04 01:02 AM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Hi Nelly,
I know this post is a little late, I hope you read it! I thought I'd set up an internet nicely, but it hasn't been working so I haven't been able to check in as often as I like. I wanted to drop you a quick note, though, to say that I have read some of your posts as of late and I wanted to send some hugs and all that good stuff as it sounds like you have really been "through the wars" lately.
I really hope things start looking up for you, at least enough to get you through the holidays! And I hope your tummy can behave itself and not give you any additional things to worry about!!
Talk to you soon!
*hugs*
--Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

Sounds good... new
      #132895 - 12/24/04 05:31 PM
Nelly

Let's touch base when we see each other online after the holidays, and I'll get your email and send you my cv. Thanks!

~nelly~

UPDATE and thanks~ new
      #132896 - 12/24/04 05:50 PM
Nelly

Hey everyone. Thanks so much for posting! I know not everybody caught my hurried message, but a special thanks to Stephie, doubletrouble, Shell Marr, Natalie1985, daliatree, Brittany, Heather7476, Sara-Sage, Tommy1976, AmandaPanda, mindyj, beaglelover, spicey8138, Sheri01, Sinead, Ravenndark, and Michele (congrats, M!!). You guys really sent me off to NY with a tear in my eye. I was so touched by your kindness and helpful comments I even bragged to my friend about what caring people were in my "support group." You guys really rock.

Sara-Sage, Tommy1976, AmandaPanda and daliatree: I'd love to meet you guys in NY sometime. My friend who got a job up there has even offered to have me stay for as she puts it, "an uncomfortable period of time!" (TEMPTING!) She even has an extra bedroom for me at her place in Astoria for me to be her resident hermit. Never been a hermit before. Sounds like fun.

You guys all really helped me out by making me realize that it's the quality of my life I should be more involved in, and I should not be stressing over some stupid work that doesn't even define who I am. Ah, perspective. You elusive slut.

~nelly~ Feeling much better now

P.S. New York sez hello. But beware the $11 appletini.

Missed this one the first time new
      #132897 - 12/24/04 06:11 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Nelly, I didn't see this post the first time around. So, wanted to also just say I'm sorry about the job. Real Scrooge to do it at the Holidays.

You seem to have a good attitude about it. I wouldn't be handling it so well. I'm just an anxious pessimist though! In fact, I admire your whole approach to life. I read your posts so I know how symptomatic your IBS is. I know how restrictive your diet is-more so than many others. Yet you still crack jokes and keep the best sense of humor. Your replies and posts crack me up and that helps keep me going when I'm having a little pity party all by myself in my little apartment with my hot water bottle on my belly and my fennel tea.

I hope some other employer finds you and realizes what a special employee he/she will be getting. GL and keep us updated on everything .

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: Missed this one the first time new
      #132898 - 12/24/04 06:19 PM
Nelly

Beth, you're a sweetheart!!!!!!!!!!! That was REALLY NICE!!

Thanks for this, and please remember, I am available for pity parties. Well, all parties, really, now that my schedule's opened up.

~nelly~

Re: UPDATE and thanks~ new
      #132899 - 12/24/04 08:07 PM
TommyNY

Reged: 04/29/04

Nelly!! Glad to hear you're in a much better mood! That's awesome. I just got home a little while ago from my parent's house. I am sitting in front of this computer with a glass of scotch right now (I know, very bad for the IBS but hey, I like my drinks, what can I say?).

I am glad you enjoyed yourself in my hometown. I'll meet up whenever you want. In fact, as you already know, I live in Queens, about 15 minutes away from Astoria!!

Thank you for the kind words. That means a lot. Merry Christmas!! Have fun!!

--------------------

You did it again! new
      #132900 - 12/24/04 08:39 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

You made me smile. And once again ruined my pity party!!!

Oh, Nelly, keep your positive outlook and keep finding the humor in the crap of life!

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

#132919 - 12/25/04 10:02 AM
daliatree

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Manhattan, New York

hey nelly
glad my little city helped you feel better...i would love to get together here some time! :-) it would be a laugh! so happy you are feeling better....big hugs!

--------------------
Feel the fear and do it anyway!

#132976 - 12/26/04 07:00 AM
dozyveeny

Reged: 09/26/04
Loc: UK

Hi, Nelly, I only just saw your post - like everyone else who answered, I think it's terrible you've been treated this way! All I can say is, with your genius for strategy and organisation, not to mention your terrific sense of humour, I'm sure you will come out of this situation better than ever: maybe it's an opportunity to look for something in a different - less stressful - type of work. Something more IBS-friendly ...

Good luck in the New Year!

Josephine

#133184 - 12/27/04 01:26 PM
Sara-Sage

Glad you had fun! It would be so great for a bunch of us to meet up in New York! I'm in!

Hope you're still feeling better!

#133197 - 12/27/04 01:55 PM
Nelly

Oh it would SO be great! Stay tuned, cos Tommy1976 and I are trying to organize something in New York for the weekend of Jan 8-9th! We have to pick a restaurant and such, but it looks like it's going to happen for that weekend! I'm totally spyched, and I so hope you're going to be there--

~nelly~

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1401 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2987

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review