All Boards >> The Living Room

View all threads Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
Re: A nice thing happened today. new
      #124978 - 11/23/04 02:33 PM
heather7476

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: South East Michigan

SUPER MOM!!!!! That is great!!! It feels so good to reconized for doing a good job!!!! Way to go!!!! I am a stay at home mom and I know alot of people think I have the easy life!!! So it is wonderfull that someone reconized you for what a wonderfull job your doing!!!!

CONGRATS!!!!

--------------------
Heather7476

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

#124993 - 11/23/04 03:32 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Michelle,

In so many ways I envy you....in a good way!

I was a kindergarten teacher. 21 five year olds with NO ed. classes or teaching experience under my belt. But it ewas the BEST year of my life...

The chaos of kids is WONDERFUL (most of the time) It really DOES sopund like you do a FABULOUS job with your kids!!!

I just want to say that l;ady is right. and so are you...that song fits PERFECTLY!

You're VERY special Michelle...and your kids are too!

Just my 2 cents

Love ya...happy you're happy!

Love,

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#125028 - 11/23/04 05:04 PM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

Hi! I have a question- how did you know to get your son tested for Aspergers? I've occasionally wondered if this is something I should get tested for and I would like more info (if you don't mind giving it to me).

On Asperger's new
      #125040 - 11/23/04 05:38 PM
ecmmbm

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: North Carolina

Luke was actually diagnosed with mild to moderate autism at age 3. He did not talk yet except to occasionally repeat what he'd see on TV or in a video (that he'd ask to watch the same one over and over). He also had many of the other signs of autism (too much to go into here). He got the diagnosis of Asperger's when he was 5 because by that point his verbal skills had exploded, and typically Asperger's is more a diagnosis who is verbal (many autistic children are not or barely are) and who can even sound like "little professors" because they have complex vocabularies but the pragmatics can be "off". They typical have difficulty with sensory issues, for example they can either crave movement and touch like my son, or avoid/fear it, can be highly sensitive to too much sound and/or light, crowds can be upsetting, reading social cues is near impossible without making it obvious to them, but most have above average intelligence and have very strong emotions and are very loving to those they know well and who can understand their unique way of showing it. This is just off the top of my head. Luke is very very bright, has a photographic memory and a unique way of looking at everything around him, but he can also be quite precocious and frustrating to those who don't understand.

These diagnoses came from a pediatric developmental neurologist, as well as a team from the school system of an educational psychologist and others. There are organizations like TEACCH in NC that specialize in screening and diagnosing people with autsim spectrum disorders.

Here are some good links:

http://www.udel.edu/bkirby/asperger/

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/9.12/aspergers_pr.html

http://www.parents.com/articles/health/2156.jsp

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle
...the greatest of these is LOVE. (I Cor 13)

#125041 - 11/23/04 05:42 PM
doubletrouble

Reged: 11/14/04
Loc: Canberra, Australia

Hi Michelle! It's great when someone makes your day. I know you're doing a fantastic job..... and I certainly know what chaos it is to go ANYWHERE! I too usually receive those looks where you know your hair is sticking out everywhere and you look like a big frazzled mess who can't wait to get back home! It takes me about 2 hours to leave the house and everywhere I go I feel like I'm the noisiest family there! So congratulations and I hope you get many more comments like it

--------------------
Amy

Yes, he's on a special diet new
      #125043 - 11/23/04 05:52 PM
ecmmbm

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: North Carolina

I believe that has been a HUGE part of his progress! First we did the Feingold protocol (and still do) www.feingold.org It really helps with the hyperactivity, stimming, lack of focus, irritability, etc. It has been proven to help many kids/people with various disorders including ADHD, etc. But he still had diarrhea all the time and pain/bloating - I figure I passed on some awful thing to him digestively, who knows. The Drs didn't have a clue what to do for him, he tested negative for any parasites or infections. I heard about the Specific Carbohydrate Diet and he has been on that since January. I hesitate to say too much about that here because it contradicts a lot of what Heather's diet says to do, but Luke and I are not of the same condition so what works for one does not work for all. It took care of his D and pain within a week and he also improved neurologically/emotionall too because he was finally absorbin nutrients from his food.

Sadly, I hear of a lot of Asperger's folks being obese because they lack self control or the ability to make wise choices, and so if no one monitors that for them and guides them into how to do that as they grow up, they just live off junk food. Sad! Luke is tall and skinny as a rail right now but then he got my genes so he'll probably be all knees and elbows as a teenager.

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle
...the greatest of these is LOVE. (I Cor 13)

Re: On Asperger's new
      #125050 - 11/23/04 06:41 PM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

Thanks Michelle- I appreciate the info. My big problems are with social interactions and I lack the ability to speak like a normal person...

Unrelated to me, it sounds like you're a great mom! Your family is lucky to have you.

Re: Yes, he's on a special diet new
      #125065 - 11/23/04 08:27 PM
Sheri01

Reged: 04/19/04
Loc: New Jersey

Yup, that is my brother, living off of junk food! My whole family is thin, even if we don't eat the healthiest, no one has gotten obese, excpet for him.
Thanks for the advice, I think I might try to have a *talk* with my mom over the holidays, she has to pull herself together for his sake.
Was the bowel problems from Aspergers, or you are not sure I guess? (Sorry to ask yet another question)
Cause I know that my brother used to get really sick and run in the bathroom before school, and would miss school becuse of it. My mom believes him, but I thought he was making it up. But, after my experiences with IBS, I am starting to think differently, but then again, having as bad a diet as he does could cause D!
Thank you so much for the info, I do not even know if my mother had him properly diagnosed. I will have to look into all of this further. He needs to take action to get his life back on track, not just feed off of excuses to do nothing.
Thanks again!

--------------------
-Sheri

jenny new
      #125067 - 11/23/04 08:36 PM
Sheri01

Reged: 04/19/04
Loc: New Jersey

My brother has stiffness of limbs, speech problems (getting caught in sentences, stuttering, saying the same thing over, and over, and over). He also talks kinda funny, he has a normal voice, I heaer it sometimes, but alot of times he talks loud and kinda high pitched and screechy. I think it is more than puberty, he has always talked like that. He pronounces words kind of strangely, too. Like he accents and pronounces my name SHEER-ee, when everyone else around him has always said it sher-EE. I always used to yell at him, if only I knew he couldn't help it!
he fidgets CONSTANTLY and dazes out. Is very intelligent but cannot communicate his thoughts properly, through talking and even writing, and his handwriting is atrocious. I have heard that Aspergers get frustrated because they have all of these brilliant thoughts and ideas but cannot get them down on paper, or out of there mouth.
He also makes odd noises out of nowhere, but that is getting better as he gets older. The stuttering has improved too. It used to be exhausting listening to him tell you one story. He also has social problems, his best bud calls him like five times a day, but my brother has never called him once.
he always has to have his way, and can excel at any video game, but not even toss a ball.
how much of this has to do with being a product of his TV watching, video game playing, ritalin prescribed era and being the 'baby' to my mom, I have no idea.
Hope I kinda helped?

--------------------
-Sheri

Re: On Asperger's new
      #125080 - 11/23/04 11:54 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

I know it's not "official", but my housemate (whom I'm convinced has Aspberger's) has problems reading social cues (thanx Michele, I'd forgotten the phrase!). He doesn't know if he's upset one of us unless it's pointed out to him. And he didn't use to say thank you (eg. when he'd stayed with someone) and hello/goodbye, but now he's learnt to do this. Plus, he's very bright, but left to his own devices would spend all his time on his own in his room. Oh, and he's fanatically tidy about his own space, but doesn't understand about tidying up outside his room!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1356 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2071

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review