View all threads Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
Thanksgiving haters! new
      #124914 - 11/23/04 12:33 PM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

I have the solution to ALL of your Thanksgiving food/stress/family issues

MOVE TO EUROPE, we don't celebrate Thanksgiving.

However, this whole country shuts down for Christmas and that is when WE get stressed!

Watch me and my UK buddies repeat your posts about family and food, not to mention the present buying, the week before Christmas, it'll be like deja vu...another game of scrabble anyone?

Sinead

--------------------
S.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Just given up! new
      #124925 - 11/23/04 12:55 PM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

Sheri-

So well put thats why I am doing t-day.. I can make all the favorites, someone else can make the not safe green bean casserole everyone asked for and they are buying a pumpkin pie, but everything else at the table will be safe for me on purpose and to prove a point! DH didn't believe it could be done, mom says it can't be done the way I say it can be.. and I figure I'll just prove it.. we're not eating till 5, but I have a feeling my earlier meals and snacks will be taste tests on foods from the day too!

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Looking for a home now and bought my plane ticket... new
      #124927 - 11/23/04 12:59 PM
Sheri01

Reged: 04/19/04
Loc: New Jersey

...j/k. I wish I weren't though, I would love to live in Europe, even though I haven't even had a chance t visit yet! My sister studied abroad for a semester in France, but I do not know how she made out cause I haven't had too much of a chance to talk to her about it, our relationship is still shaky.
My grandparents have been to Ireland and LOVE it, you are very live there! But, you can not put too much weight on what i say, becuase I am from the part of the US known as "the armpit of the country", where one of the most toxic dumps ever is located one town over from where I grew up.
Lovely, isn't it?

--------------------
-Sheri

Good luck Amie! new
      #124930 - 11/23/04 01:04 PM
Sheri01

Prove them all wrong!
I am sure noone will notice the difference of having soymilk or soy margarine or veggie broth in the potatos vs cow milk, etc. Same goes for other foods. People get in a mind set that things have to stick to tradition, or will not be the same or enjoyable.
I am sure my family will be begging to try my food, but my mom told me that my bro heard I was making food and worriedly said, 'What weird stuff is she going to try and make me eat?"
Gotta love it

--------------------
-Sheri

I'll pick you up from the airport! new
      #124931 - 11/23/04 01:05 PM
cailin

NJ isn't that bad....my experience of it extends to Newark airport though on the way to NY.

For home finding check out www.myhome.ie or for renting www.daft.ie ! (you never know....) We have some good vegetarian restaurants here that you would like too!

Sinead

--------------------
S.

Amie new
      #124941 - 11/23/04 01:16 PM
cailin

Amie,
Really want to see you all your recipes, I just saw the stuffing one, I am so glad Christmas is after thanksgiving, I can steal all your ideas!

Sinead

--------------------
S.

LOL new
      #124944 - 11/23/04 01:19 PM
Sheri01

Ah, newark! Don't let my BF hear you say it isn't that bad! He went to college there and he said if you stepped one step off of campus that you were likely to be shot! There was a homeless man that lived under the porch of his fraternity house.
But the area I live in is nothing like that, I am more overly developed subarbs, and it isn't too bad i guess.
I am not the New York area, I am closer to Philadelphia, it is only about 15-20 minutes away.
But in the news yesterday they released the most dangerous city in the US, Camden, NJ ! That is like 10 minutes or less from where I live, it used to be #3 on the list.

Yummmmm.... vegetarian restaraunts...
Silly thing is that I am going to school to be an accountant, so if I go much further I will have to stay put, as certifications vary. Kinda like you being the Irish lawyer out here I would be the US accountant in Ireland I do not know too much about it, it probably isn't too different

You must be lonely out there always strying to convince us US gals to move out to you! Or are you a real estate agent undercover?

--------------------
-Sheri

Yep, my mom does the same thing. new
      #124971 - 11/23/04 02:21 PM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

I feel for you Sheri! My mom is notorious for poisoning my food with something I can't have, and then she'll turn around and deny it. Or I'll ask if there's any milk or butter in the dessert, and only when I get sick afterwards, she's like, "well there was only a LITTLE bit. I thought that'd be ok...!" UGH.

This one time I asked her for quaker oats maple and brown sugar oatmeal, one of the only things I could have. She boilled that 1 hour prep oatmeal jjunk out of a big vat, and doused it with milk and then put (i kid you not) Aunt Jemima's maple pancake syrup in it, stirred it all up like it was nothing and gave it to me. Well, I was so sickened from the first bite I didn't finish it, and lucky that cos I was so sick afterward. When I confronted her (I found the vat of oats in the kitchen, lid off) she DENIED it, saying I was sick and things taste differently when you're sick.

I have faced this with her my WHOLE LIFE. I bring this up now, and she says she has forgotten but doesn't think I'm telling the truth. UGH!

Sorry for the rant... I'd get over this already if #1 she'd acknowledge her lies and #2 it didn't keep happening!!!

~nelly~

Re: LOL new
      #124980 - 11/23/04 02:54 PM
cailin

I've been to Philly - we got the train to Trenton and then another train to Philly. I also visited a frient who was in college at Westchester University in PA, we even went to a REAL frat party! THAT was VERY exciting for me!

I thought that accounting was the same all around the world...my friend is an accountant and he has worked in Canada, Bahrain, Russia and Ireland. Are you doing CIMA or ACA or ACCA or do any of these qualifications sound familiar to you?

I'm not lonely here, just patriotic! I would move there except I'd miss my family too much. I loved my summer in NY, I became a real yank!!

I went to college in the most dangerous city in Ireland and loved it! They called it Stab City in a US travel guide the year I started there, my Mam wanted me back home!

Sinead

--------------------
S.

Can I come!!! new
      #124987 - 11/23/04 03:19 PM
heather7476

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: South East Michigan

I split the housing with ya!!!! I would LOVE to live in Ireland!!! ~SIGH~!!!

--------------------
Heather7476

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 307 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3941

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review