All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
Re: A moveable feast! new
      #124583 - 11/22/04 08:21 AM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

I'm going to lunch with BF (he's at work, sorry fellow), and BM (heh) is my next stop to check out prices.

Thanks for the input!!!!

~nelly~

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

#124627 - 11/22/04 10:57 AM
heather7476

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: South East Michigan

Do you have to do a turkey!!! I mean there isn't any law that says we HAVE we turkey on Thanksgiving!! Maybe Itlian or Mexican!!! We have done that in the past when things have been to crazy to cook a huge meal!!! Good luck!!!

Such a good daughter to be doing this for your mom!!! Just get there on time so she won't put out an APB out on ya again!!LOL

--------------------
Heather7476

#124640 - 11/22/04 11:33 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

true- I grew up salmon for thanksgiving and one year mom made vegetarian tamales...

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

LOL! APB!! new
      #124641 - 11/22/04 11:35 AM
Nelly

Oh man, I'd forgotton about that!! *shaking head* You all know too much!!!!!!!

Yeah, I'm giving her the impression that it's all taken care of, and I refuse to talk about it... I don't want her getting all passive-aggressive on me. Cos she'd totally micromanage me if she knew what I was doing.

I found a place that'll do a whole turkey dinner, plus trimmings, for $34.99. The two first places I went were totally sold out (their whole chain of stores were as well!), so I wasn't expecting much from my local Safeway til they totally bailed me out. They're like, would you like ham with that?? Too cool. Whyever do people cook at these things??

OK, flash forward a couple of days to nell's whole family, food poisoned...!

I called ahead to the local New Orleans bakery to pick up a couple "homemade" peacan pies... Hey, if I have to be sick, I can do it in style, right??

The one thing I didn't skimp on was wine and champagne. 3 red, 3 white, and French champagne, all around. The liquor store guy's looking at me like, uh, you're not going to drink this all tonight honey, right?? *smirk!*

OK, in classic nelly style, this is all going to go most horribly wrong. In a very tragic way!! But for NOW, I'm on top of it!!!

~nelly~ The QUEEN of Thanksgiving

Re: LOL! APB!! new
      #124672 - 11/22/04 01:51 PM
heather7476

That story is forever burned into me head!!! TO FUNNY!!!

Glad you found the dinner!! IBS what's that??? That is my mental excuse for Turkey Day!! We can be in pain and moan to each other on Friday!!!! Hope you have a great day!!! I will watch the news for Mass family food poisnings in the DC area!!!!LOL
Hugs

--------------------
Heather7476

Re: LOL! APB!! new
      #124805 - 11/23/04 06:02 AM
khyricat

Heather- believe it or not I'm having an ibs SAFE TURKEY DAY! We'll have things that aren't safe, but I am not touching them, and I made all my favorites or will make them in ways I can enjoy.. my favorite stuffing just needed a change in the can of broth, and I found a dairy free breast for Bill to smoke... so we should be all set!

--------------------
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic

Just given up! new
      #124839 - 11/23/04 08:32 AM
Nelly

I've just given up on having an IBS-safe holiday. I mean there's so much stress I can't forsee anything coming out well. So I'm just going to grin and bear it, resting where I can, keeping to my meds, and limiting the time I spend eating and spending time with those poison relatives.

Stoopid holidays. Stoopid ex-boyfriends in town calling BF on the phone asking for me to "see how I'm doing." Stoopid SIL trying to eke out information from me. Stoopid germy 3 year old nephew wiping snot on my shoulder. Stoopid brother whining for a cash loan. Stoopid holiday socially hinging on binge eating.

OK I'm done!! Spot the person who doesn't like thxgvg!!

~nelly~

Re: Just given up! new
      #124858 - 11/23/04 09:15 AM
khyricat

I can understand that- I hate that part of the holidays, but have found that I can handle sitting around the table and enjoying pleasant conversation with people I don't see often... but if I have to deal with my crazy family- forget it.. its why I stay in MI with friends or part of DH's family instead! Same thing with Passover, though every few years I have to give in and go to moms.. I was thinking of inviting the family here this coming year, but only if we'removed and into the new house by then!

Amie

--------------------
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic

#124873 - 11/23/04 10:41 AM
heather7476

Yep I hear ya!!!! I am not looking forward to going to my dads with my Stupid Step Sister & Step mom who doesn't want me there any way!! UUUGGGGG!!! I wish I could go to my cousin's!!! THEN I would have a good time!!!!

Best of Luck to us all!!!!!

--------------------
Heather7476

#124886 - 11/23/04 11:00 AM
Sheri01

Reged: 04/19/04
Loc: New Jersey

Awww nelly! It'll be ok, you should just stock up on immodium, eat lots of bread, or whatever keeps you stable, than start binge drinking. get really drunk to the point that you tell everyone what you really think of them, even telling germy nephew to take his snot somewhere else.

But, seriously, food, especially sugary, large amounts of it and fatty stuff, is a drug, so how can any one look down on you being intoxicated? Certainly will take the edge off!

I am not looking forward to t-day, with this being my first one as a vegetarian. It will be fun to experiment in the kitchen, though, I am making stuffed squash, potatos, stuffing, sweet potato pie, pumpin cake.... (I feel my belly getting bigger and boobs getting smaller by the minute) I can just imagine when I have to eat at BF's house, his mom plopping stuffing right from the turkey on my plate and saying "well, it doens't have meat in it!" and getting insulted if I eat the nothing (typical italian mother) She is very sweet, but things don't seem to stick in her mind, and she is always pushing food on me and gets insulted if I don't eat it (sometimes i have eaten bad stuff just to please her ) SHe is one of those that realizes I can't eat the egg or the milk, but she will bake it into a bread or cake and not understand why I can't eat it!!! ???

Good luck to all of us IBSers! It is such a shame, cause the basic t-day foods are SOOOOO goood for IBS, it is just all of the bad crap that people add to it before it hits the table.

--------------------
-Sheri

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 998 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3947

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review