Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
I joined a gym!
      #120372 - 11/09/04 04:54 PM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

Hey Everyone,
I'm so excited -- I just joined a gym for the first time in my life! Hopefully I'll be disciplined enough to go. They are so expensive here in NYC -- Most require a down payment of at least 100 dollars, and then 65 a month. I cannot afford that. But Bally's Total Fitness has a new promotion that is 19 down, and 19 a month. The catch is that you can only go 3 days a week (I chose tues, thurs, sat), but to be honest I can't imagine I'd ever go to a gym more than three days a week. You can also only go to the one gym where you sign up (other plans let you go to any Bally's in the US and Canada), but again that is a restriction I can live with. My best friend and I both signed up for the same membership, so hopefully we can motivate each other to go all the time. I don't really want to lose much weight, though dropping 5 or 8 pounds would be awesome -- I mostly want to tone up and just feel more fit. So, we'll see. I am pretty excited about this whole thing. My friend who I signed up with is a skinny little twig and is actually trying to look less scrawny, so it's kind of fun that we have different goals, so we are not in competition / comparing ourselves with each other. The gym is kind of no-frills but I don't need a lot of fancy stuff. I am so excited -- just had to share it with you all!
Any tips for just starting out? I've always been physically active but I've never belonged to a gym before (except for one summer like 6 years ago), so I don't really know where to start! I am thinking of paying the 35 dollars for one personal training session, just to get kind of a game plan.
Anyway, that's it
Panda

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Good for you!! new
      #120374 - 11/09/04 05:25 PM
SLiCKsGiRL

Reged: 06/20/04
Loc: Western Washington

That's fantastic! I think it feels so good to be fit and active!

I know what you mean about expensive gyms though! 24Hour Fitness (which is where b/f goes, and he's the only one who could really motivate me to go) wants something like $300 for signing up and administrative paperwork, plus $40/month, for unlimited at just one gym ... It's NUTS! So, needless to say, I haven't joined yet

I would definately take advantage of the personal trainer for one session. It's so easy to get hurt at the gym by starting too quickly or exercising in an improper way. And set aside a specific time on the days you want to go, so you and your friend always know exactly when to plan to be motivated/motivating.

Good luck and way to go!

--------------------
~*Amber*~

Re: I joined a gym! new
      #120388 - 11/09/04 07:08 PM
JBI

Reged: 01/25/04
Loc: BC, Canada

Good job!

Joining with a friend will be a good way to motivate each other to go. I'm hoping to start going to a gym when I go back to school starting in January. I need to gain back the weight that I lost when my stomach started getting stupid.

Unfortunately I don't know how easy it'll be to gain weight eating all these non fat foods and not being able to eat too much.

Re: I joined a gym! new
      #120414 - 11/09/04 08:51 PM
daliatree

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Manhattan, New York

the gym is one of the best things I ever brought into my life. It is so amazing for mental health, my IBS is almost always much calmer afterwards (beware for lots of beautiful relieving farting!!) and you might surprise yourself with getting addicted and wanting to go more often!!
I would start very slow and easy. A personal trainer is a great idea if you have never been because all those machines can look intimidating....most of all...enjoy it. set long term goals and short term so each week you can pat yourself on the back...I love it so much and miss it when I can't go!
So happy for you!
PS there are going to be times when you can't be bothered to go..but make yourself...I am always so happy after the event that I went...sweating everything out is wonderful.

--------------------
Feel the fear and do it anyway!

Hooray! new
      #120417 - 11/09/04 08:59 PM

Unregistered

I love the gym - though sometimes it is quite a task to get motivated to go, but it's one of those things where once you get up and go you're so glad you did. My favorite machine is the Elliptical (kinda like your feet are on skis and they move around in an ellipse). It's one of those things that just feels good on your body and is as good of a cardio as like running or the treadmill or something but lower impact and great for toning your legs. I think the session with the personal trainer sounds good just so you know what sorts of exercises are best for your body type. Does that gym offer exercise classes like Kickboxing or anything cause those are always fun too. Well enjoy your membership!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 216 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 505

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review