All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
What would you have?
      #116789 - 10/28/04 03:19 PM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

Here is the link of the restaurant where BF is bringing me (at my direct request) for our anniversary...there seem to be a number of safe choices...what would you have?

I am thinking the John Dory or the Sea Bass..mmmmm
The Berries dessert is so good but has cream and chocolate, I might just ask for the berries without the sauce!!

Can't wait....mmmm

Sinead

--------------------
S.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

I'd love to answer your question, but... new
      #116791 - 10/28/04 03:25 PM
RachelT

Reged: 07/01/04
Loc: Minnesota

I don't see a link! Am I missing something?

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)
If life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!

DOH!!!!! Here's the restaurant link! new
      #116793 - 10/28/04 03:26 PM
cailin

Bang Cafe

--------------------
S.

Re: DOH!!!!! Here's the restaurant link! new
      #116795 - 10/28/04 03:30 PM
RachelT

Mmmm, the Sea Bass is definately what I would get. I have to ask though... what is John Dory?

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)

#116798 - 10/28/04 03:35 PM
cailin

Its fish! Here's a description...

Quote:

John Dory
a.k.a.: Dory, St. Pierre
Waters:Atlantic Ocean (Most are harvested off the coasts of Europe and Africa.)
Description (in water): This unusual-looking fish is yellowish-olive or grayish in color with a flat, compressed oval body that's spotted on both sides. The dorsal spines are particularly long, and the eyes and mouth are large.
Description (in market): A firm-textured white-fleshed fish with a mild, sweet flavor and low fat content.
Best cooking: Here's a good fish to cook whole; like porgy, it's well suited to roasting or baking. Fillets can be poached or sautéed, or cut into chunks and added to chowders or stews like bouillabaisse. The bones add great flavor to soup stock.
Buying tips: Harvested mainly in Europe, the fish is often air-shipped to U.S. fish markets. Look for bright skin, red gills, and other signs of freshness; the scent should be sweet.

Substitutes: Porgy, grouper, monkfish

--------------------
S.

#116801 - 10/28/04 03:40 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04

I would get stir fried prawns or sea bass and take a bite of boyfriend's dessert. I order tea for dessert too which makes me feel like I am having something (lame). Also a little of the mushroom/artichoke appetizer might be okay.
ooh lardons of bacon! oh and the goat cheese salad- ahhhhh (Homer Simpson salivating!)
Rachel, John Dory is a fish.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Blah... If it's anything like Monkfish... new
      #116802 - 10/28/04 03:40 PM
RachelT

I wouldn't be able to even look at it without gagging! Sorry... I've seen Monkfish in the local meat market, and I have to say, it's not very appetizing to look at. Other than that, fish is probably my favorite meal of all. If I could, I would eat it every night!

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)

P.S. new
      #116806 - 10/28/04 03:46 PM
Little Minnie

Isn't it great that you can look up a menu ahead of time? I love doing that even though it takes the fun and surprise out of reading it at the restaurant. But with IBS I think it is the best!

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: Blah... If it's anything like Monkfish... new
      #116812 - 10/28/04 03:55 PM
dozyveeny

Reged: 09/26/04
Loc: UK

It isn't really like monkfish, it has a finer texture and a really nice subtle flavour - a bit like plaice or sole. If you like fish you should try it when you get the chance!

As for the restaurant, it looks like a really good place to eat - if you don't have IBS! I would probably pick the sea bass or the tiger prawns, but I'm not sure what would be safe as a first course or dessert ... I was in a restaurant the other day and had fish soup to start, with a bread roll of course, then sole meuniere, which came with boiled potatoes and carrots. For dessert tarte tatin, a kind of apple pie where the apples are very well cooked and very sweet, but I didn't eat any of the pastry ... no wine or coffee either. That's the best I've managed in a restaurant so far. How do other IBS-ers cope with menu choices?

Josephine

Beware the fishes Rachel!! new
      #116813 - 10/28/04 03:58 PM
cailin

This is seabass:

This is monkfish:-

This is John Dory:-

Not very pretty but tastes good! Will print a review on Saturday.

Am thinking of having a bellini for dessert...mmmmm!

Sinead

--------------------
S.

restaurants new
      #116817 - 10/28/04 04:10 PM
cailin

In Italians I have pasta primavera or cheeseless mushroom and chicken pizza
In Thai I have prawn (shrimp) something or other
I can usually get a chicken or fish with the dairy bits removed and served with rice potatoes or pasta.
As restaurants go I think this one is pretty OK IBS wise, they have 3 or 4 options that need no modification at all and they have freshly baked different flavoured breadrolls.

AND that last time I was there so was Pierce Brosnan!!

Sinead

--------------------
S.

restaurants new
      #116840 - 10/28/04 04:51 PM
Little Minnie

I am always disappointed if they don't have bread to start with. Certain restaurants are just really tough and I tend to get cranky with them. Also convenience stores that don't have bananas or luna bars. One time recently I went to a gas station and looked around for fruit and finally asked and they said they had no fruit at all! They said they used to but no one bought it. I got dots instead. Anyway I hate getting cheeseless pizza since it is so dry and I am always tempted to get coconutty Thai food. The best kind of restaurant I think is seafood places.

--------------------

You don't want to know... new
      #116843 - 10/28/04 04:54 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Quote:

How do other IBS-ers cope with menu choices?

I never eat out.

I know... that isn't very helpful. But it's the truth!

If I *had* to eat out, I'd probably stick with baked/grilled chicken and a baked potato. No salad, no soup, no dessert. Boring, but I've had my fair share of being sick in restaurants, and I'm not risking it anymore, thanks.

Side rant - yeah, what's up with places that don't sell Luna bars?? new
      #116846 - 10/28/04 04:57 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Do you know, I have to drive an HOUR to buy luna bars? Grr! The nearest store that carries them is the health food store in Bangor... 80 miles south. Poo.

#116942 - 10/29/04 02:59 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Wild Mushroom and Artichoke Galette

Butternut Squash Risotto withoub the parmesan or the Sea Bass

Classic Lemon Tart (naughty but my favourite)

Enjoy! That place sounds so nice. I'm jealous!

Re: Beware the fishes Rachel!! (Part II) new
      #117005 - 10/29/04 09:36 AM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

Make sure it's not Chilean Sea Bass, it's endangered and illegally harvested. It's also called Patagonian Toothfish, but looks nothing like the regular sea bass picture. (Think 400 pounds of toothy ugly fish). Chilean Sea Bass would come on your plate as lumps of white flesh (no bones), and not a smaller fish with bones.

But I'd stay away from fish, as they're usually braised with butter. I'd go for the shrimp stir fry.

Awesome menu, btw!! I'm totally drooling, as I haven't had my lunch yet...!

~nelly~

Me neither new
      #117006 - 10/29/04 09:38 AM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

I don't eat out either, unless it's japanese or chinese.

If it has more than 5 ingredients, something in it's gonna make me sick.

~nelly~

I agree.. fish is not as innocent as it looks.. new
      #117035 - 10/29/04 11:03 AM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: Maryland

I aggree with nelly about the fish..

I waitress at an entirely organic resturant and you should see how we cook our fish.. The scrod is baked with ritz cracker crumbs and at least 1/3 of a cup of butter on slabbed on top before baking. Same goes for our salmon.. I'd either make sure I checked out just how much butter they use.. or go with the shrimp as well. There is rarely butter used in stir fry.

--------------------

Re: Me neither new
      #117038 - 10/29/04 11:08 AM
LittleFox

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: California

Ditto,I am a chicken and don't mind admitting to it. The last time I ate out I barely made it home and had to tell my BF goodbye as I was getting out of the car!

Home cooking, my cooking, I know exactly what I am eating and BF gets a kiss goodnight!

Lene

--------------------
God never promised life would be easy, but he did promise to provide a way out!

Re: Side rant - yeah, what's up with places that don't sell Luna bars?? new
      #117064 - 10/29/04 01:07 PM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

Is there a reason you don't order them from drugstore.com? You can buy them by the box of 15! I haven't done it yet just because I like a little variety, and I can get a few of each flavor from the store, but you might want to look into it.
Panda

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

Re: I agree.. fish is not as innocent as it looks.. new
      #117088 - 10/29/04 02:42 PM
dozyveeny

I know fish is usually cooked in butter or oil in restaurants, but it still doesn't absorb as much fat as some other things, like rice or vegetables, so you can brush most of it off. It seems to be a case of looking for the least worst thing.

I would hate to give up eating out and it would make life quite difficult - maybe I'm just not ready yet. Still, it explains why so many of you are such great cooks!

Josephine

#117089 - 10/29/04 02:51 PM
dozyveeny

I have been so curious about these Luna bars I keep hearing about, I had to go to the website and there is a sales page, with boxes of each flavour and also a mixed box of different flavours - www.lunabar.com/store

But what are they like???

Josephine

#117099 - 10/29/04 03:40 PM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

I hate to break it to you, but I was in London all summer and I never found a single Luna bar. They don't seem to be available. However, I do think that drugstore.com now ships internationally.
They are the texture and flavor of yummy granola bars, and one side is coated in either chocolate or some other topping. They are really chewy, nice and filling, about 180 calories, low fat, high soluable fiber, some insoluable. They are super yummy, and I love to grab one for breakfast, or as my only snack of the day. Oh they are also dairy-free.
Do a search at www.drugstore.com and find them there.

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

I just have to say new
      #117110 - 10/29/04 05:01 PM
Little Minnie

that I would rather have D than never eat out. I think that would be the worst eventuality. Not being able to ride or eat out or go to movies- I might as well be dead. Also how could you ever travel if you never ate out? Yes I have to add traveling to my list of rather die than not do it. Sorry to be pessimistic but that is how I feel.

--------------------

#117111 - 10/29/04 05:04 PM
Little Minnie

I could order them instead of getting them at the store. But you see I am often out driving around and need to pee at a gas station and most of the time feel obliged to get a snack or something. I used to get a cookie and frappacino but now I get a luna bar and banana. Most of the time though they don't have them so I have started bringing my own and just using the bathroom and walking out. Do you know what I mean anyone?

--------------------

#117203 - 10/30/04 06:36 AM
dozyveeny

Mmmm, I love granola bars, but haven't dared eat one for several years now! Don't Luna bars cause trouble too? I would order a box if I knew they were safe ...

Josephine

#117212 - 10/30/04 07:13 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

I was goign either butternut squash or sea bass myself.. probably taste Bill's dessert or skip... and either gallette or soup depending on what it is for appetizer.. if any...

My perosnal gripe with restaurants is the ones where the breads they serve are already soaked in butter before hitting the table..

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

What I ordered..YUMMY YUMMY YUMMY! new
      #117275 - 10/30/04 10:39 AM
cailin

We had our meal out last night, I broke a couple of IBS rules but like Little Minnie says I'd rather have symptoms than NEVER eat out.

There were homemade breads to start- I had a slice of tomato bread and one of pesto bread. Both very tasty. BF loaded the butter on his but I am so used to eating rolls and bread without butter now that it didn't bother me at all.

For starter I had the mushroom and artichoke galette. I stupidly presumed there was no dairy in it and it came out with parmesan shavings on top, no sweat to remove them as they were cold. It was a tiny pastry type base with sundried tomato base, topped with artichoke, then wild mushrooms and finally rocket. How yummy it was I can't really describe!

For mains I had the sea bass. Its was fantastic. There was some butter on it but it carried the flavour (lime coriander and chili) and I scraped it off. The fish was steamed in a banana leaf and the rice was flavoured with soy sauce yummy!

BF had the chicken and bacon salad to start, roast venison with pears and cabbage for mains.

For dessert I ordered rum and raisin creme brulee (they were all out of lemon tart Linz ) and I convinced him to have the Swedish iced berries so I could have a taste, they are divine but have cream and white chocolate

TO drink I had TWO glasses of chianti (first alchool since 14th August ..and I'm Irish!) and a bellini (champagne and peach cocktail with dessert)

SO so so yummy

Tummy is slightly off today, but no more than during the week when I forgot my AD, it was DEFINITELY worth it..I LOVE my food!

Sinead

--------------------
S.

Re: Mmm ... sounds delicious! -nt- new
      #117277 - 10/30/04 10:48 AM
dozyveeny

like Red Lobster! new
      #117352 - 10/30/04 05:00 PM
Little Minnie

I thought 'oh a fish place that will be good' but they have those cheddar bay biscuits with butter on them and even the fish and rice and veg already has butter and no safe appetizers and try to avoid those biscuits when you are really hungry!

--------------------

#117353 - 10/30/04 05:05 PM
Little Minnie

They are safe because they are a company specifically for dealing with dietary concerns so to speak- all natural and no bits or derivatives of this and that. Anyway they are mostly puffed soy and some oats and have no dairy. Still I think the fattier ones need a base of FF snack like a banana or pretzels or something to be completely safe (at least for me).

--------------------

Re: Thanks, Little Minnie ... new
      #117426 - 10/31/04 12:20 AM
dozyveeny

... now I can add Luna Bars to my list (along with Angel Food cake mix!)

Josephine

Wow! Sounds great! ---nt-- new
      #117535 - 10/31/04 01:06 PM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1611 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3907

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review