All Boards >> IBS Fitness & Lifestyle Board Discussions

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
I have never felt worse WW to blame?
      #187290 - 06/19/05 04:26 PM
littleboo

Reged: 06/18/04
Loc: Maine

I have to be honest first and say I am new but old to this site. I came on last year about this time and got discouraged wanting a "quick" fix. I am at the end of my 8 year rope. I feel so discouraged that some days I wish the Lord would just take me home and give me freedom from this horrible pain. I have IBS-C and its awful right this very minute. Does anyone else feel like they are a terrible burden to the people they love? I feel like half a person with everything centered around my bowels. All I can do is cry but that only relieves the tension for a little bit. I joined weight watchers in Feb of this year and I think this is the reason I am in so much pain right now. After reading this web page I can now see all of the fiber I have been eating has been the wrong kind! I had no idea. I bought Heathers books and some acacia fiber today. I am now going to try this web site's advice. What I would really like is for someone anyone to tell me that this works. I am almost beyond hope that anything can help. I am also very depressed at the idea of giving WW up as I have lost 20 pounds on it. I am sorry that i am being so negative. I really try to see my cup as half full but today Iam just too discouraged and feeling helpless. ANY friendly words would mean so much thank you.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: I have never felt worse WW to blame? new
      #187317 - 06/19/05 06:00 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

I totally understand your frustration. I was just on WW until very recently. I stopped going for two reasons - one - because after 12 weeks I hadn't lost a pound, and two, my IBS simply couldn't tolerate the WW diet. The WW pushes tons of fruits and vegetables, and really discourages things like white bread, potatoes, rice, sweet potatoes, and other types of soluble fibre which are absolutely critical for the IBS diet. We NEED the SF foods for our survival. Without it, your constipation is only going to get worse and worse. I'm not saying that you shouldn't eat fruits and veggies. Heather recommends we get as much as we can individually tolerate. As you read Heather's book, you will understand. Start the acacia. Start with a vERY low dose and increase very slowly. Otherwise, you might end up with more bloating cramping and pain.

Take heart. This is THE diet to end the pain and suffering from constipation. It makes SENSE. Build your diet starting on soluble fiber, and then get as much insolubles as you can. Drink tons of water and get some exercise. This will also help with constipation. Be patient. It may take up to two weeks or more to see results. Start with Heather's diet and post any questions you have. We're here for you. You WILL feel better.

Furthermore, a lot of people find that they LOSE weight on this diet, not gain. Eating rice and bread and stuff will NOT make you gain weight. This diet is low in fat, and eliminates bad things like red meat and dairy. You'll likely lose even more weight. Trust me. Hugs, Alicia.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#187345 - 06/19/05 09:04 PM
franny

Reged: 05/16/05
Loc: N. FL

I'm really new around here and I'm an IBS/D but your pain touched me and I wanted to respond. Before I found this website I thought I needed surgery to stop my D and the constant bowel pain I was in. From the second day I followed this diet the pain was relieved. I am still not stable with the D but I can't tell you the relief I've felt. Lot's of people here have C and they say it takes longer to get relief but there does seem to be a lot of recovering people here. I swear by the fennel tea when I'm gassy or uncomfortable. I sure hope you get the help you need to have some hope that your life can get better. Hang in and try Heather's plan. Good luck.....

--------------------
Franny
IBS/D
Celiac

I agree with Alicia! new
      #187372 - 06/20/05 01:02 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Be positive! And many of us here do calorie counting (which lets us eat SF, unlike WW, AND is tailored to our personal needs - WW is often not specific enough) and use sites like fitday.com to log our foods, so it's a similar mentality to WW (logging everything and having a target amount of food, etc) but alot easier with IBS.

Good luck!

PS. If you avoid all the sweet things (that are IBS safe but quite high cal) then you'll probably lose weight anyway!

Re: I agree with Alicia! new
      #187385 - 06/20/05 05:13 AM
littleboo

I am so grateful to all of you who responded. It is very comforting to me. Thank you. Today I am going to the grocery store to get soluble fiber foods. I will use the search to look through the threads to find foods that are good for me. I am also very interested in the fitday.com web site. OK now I need to draw a little more strength from all of you. To "go" I have been drinking tea with caffiene and diet soda for the carbonation. Usually if I do this I have some luck. Heather says this is a no no. I am so scared to give up the only 2 things that help me. What if I do and end up even worse? I am going to give everything else my best but am pretty freaked out about those 2 beverages Thank you all for your support. I cannot believe I waited a year to try this!

#187386 - 06/20/05 05:27 AM
Linz

Are you taking a SFS? If not, get one asap.

What I would then do is cut out the diet soda (so, soooo bad for you) but keep on with the caffeine while you start the SFS. Then when you've got the SFS up to a decent dose (you need to increase it slowly to avoid side effects), start cutting down on the caffeine. [Btw, this is based on Heather's advice for what to do if you are reliant on laxatives.] Hopefully if you do it that way, you'll get off the triggers w/out getting rebound C!

Don't forgot that after a day or two of SF foods only, you need to bring IF back into your diet - but safely. And drink loads of water.

#187387 - 06/20/05 05:37 AM
littleboo

Oh thank you, thank you! I can't believe I got a response so quick! I can certainly wean myself off the tea and go cold turkey on the soda. ( I didn't know it was that bad!) I am going to the drug store this morning to buy a SFS. Benefiber I think just until my acacia fiber gets here from UPS. This web site it AWESOME! You people really care. I could weep with relief. Excuse me while I mist up.

Hey it's okay! new
      #187388 - 06/20/05 05:38 AM
Linz

Aw, you're so sweet! Glad I could help.

Yup, diet soda is one of the one things you could possibly do to an IBS belly!

#187443 - 06/20/05 10:49 AM
e_mcmaster

Reged: 01/16/05
Loc: Norman, Oklahoma

HI there,

I understand your desperation. Even when my IBS is pretty good, I sometimes pray for the Lord to take me. It's such a horrible, horrible disease and I pray that we will somehow find a cure a get permanently better. I will pray for you.

I don't do WW, but I do know that it is a SUPER low-calorie diet and I don't think it is good long-term. I count calories, although I count them to make sure I get enough, not the other way around (although, I used to do that). Listen to HanSolo - she is very experienced and has had a lot of success with calorie counting.

Good luck!

--------------------
Elizabeth

all those years it wasn't IBS - it was celiac!
send me an email: liz@dopple.net

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 52 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2765

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review