All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
what fiber supplement is ok for diarrheal IBS?
      #98979 - 08/17/04 05:50 PM
amo616

Reged: 08/16/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

There is a bewildering array of info out there on fiber supplements. I have some psyllium husk powder but I am afraid to try it because I am worried it will make my diarrhea worse. Anyone out there who has mostly diarrhea have a fiber supplement they can recommend? I live outside the US so ordering Acacia from Heather is tricky.

--------------------

Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: what fiber supplement is ok for diarrheal IBS? new
      #98980 - 08/17/04 05:58 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Hi, and welcome!

Every soluble fiber supplement will help with both diarrhea and constipation. I know that seems impossible that it could help two such completely different problems, but Heather explains why somewhere really clearly. It has to do with giving the gut something to work on and fill it up so it doesn't spasm, which is what causes both D and C.

You're right there is a bewildering variety out there, but that's good because everyone's body seems to respond best to a different one. I myself take psyllium and swear by it, but others get bad gas from it. Since you have it and it's a trial and error process, I would suggest starting with that.

The key is to START VERY SLOW!!! When I started I actually only took 1/4 teaspoon in 8 ounces of water, then waited three days to see how I felt. Then I took a little more then a little more, then twice a day and so on over a period of months until I finally reached the full recommended dose. Some people find that they can't take the full dose either, that they increase to say 2 teaspoons a day but if they try to go over that they get gas or bloating. So just pay attention to your body, it will tell you what it likes and needs.

So long story short, yes I have IBS-D and yes I can recommend psyllium! Welcome again, and keep coming back, okay?

Oh, and there's a "sticky" post at the top of the list of messages that talks about fiber supplements and dosages. You might want to read that too.

See ya round!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Re: what fiber supplement is ok for diarrheal IBS? new
      #99033 - 08/18/04 01:02 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Psyllium will help with IBS-D, but it is likely to cause bloating. I live outside the US too and ordering Acacia is really easy. One pack lasts for ages as well.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 677 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 465

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review