All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Lactose pills
      #98597 - 08/16/04 07:56 AM
Sweetd

Reged: 07/13/04
Loc: NY

I was wondering what is the difference between lactose intolerant and someone that has ibs and that are very sensitive to lactose? I stopped eating dairy, but I was wondering can I take lactose pills and still be able to eat dairy on occasion, in situations where you are at a catered party and there isn't any soy or any other alternatives? Is this safe to take these pills? I went to a party yesterday and there was absolutely nothing for me to eat, but dairy, high fat foods and tons of insolubles. I thought I was going to die, I ate nothing, but two pieces of chicken marsala and I really paid for it later! I thought this would be safe, I guess not. It's not even fun to go to parties any more. What can you do at parties when there is no healthy alternatives and high fat catered foods?

--------------------
Ibs-d and fructose sensitive.

Edited by Sweetd (08/16/04 08:11 AM)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Lactose new
      #98606 - 08/16/04 08:23 AM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

Oh, dear. Eat before the party.

I am lactose intolerant. I can't eat dairy of any kind, as it causes bloat, painful gas and explosive D. I started taking lactaid pills, but all they did was paralyse my colon, which made it very hard to go when I had to.

After 3 years, the pills stopped working. I then started taking the drops. One is supposed to put 2-4 drops into a gallon of milk and let it sit overnight in the fridge; this is to "nutralize" the lactose in the milk and make it drinkable for infants. Sometimes the drops are called "infant drops."

I was taking them by putting drops on the back of my hand (like where you'd put the salt if you were doing a tequills shot) and licking it up before I ate anything questionable.

I did this for 2 years, then the drops stopped working.

My lactose intolerance is so accute that if I eat a steak fried in butter, it'll set me off. Or even if parmesean is sprinkled on the top of a dish, even if there is no other dairy in the dish, it will cause an attack. But I've found that if I take a gas-reducing agent (simethicone) and lots of loperimide (4-5 2mg pills) I can delay a D attack for about 2 hours after I eat dairy. I still get pains, though, and I take a narcotic, Tylenol-3 for that.

I can't tolerate that lactose-free milk, otherwise it might be a good substitute. A funny aside, I know a woman who actually throws up if she eats dairy by accident, yet she can tolerate the lactose-free milk.

But your question was about social eating... I don't know if you're in a position to fill up on bread or just eat what you can and delay your attacks by taking imodium advanced.

When I'm confronted with social eating (I'm going to a wedding on Saturday) I usually stop my system with immodium advanced, then restart it again later with citrucel, when I have time to go to the bathroom. But all this does for me is delay an attack. Good luck,

~nel~

#98607 - 08/16/04 08:31 AM
Sweetd

I can always fill up on bread true. As for weddings, that is a good idea, sfs and immodium as a preventative. I guess there is a difference between my dairy problem and yours. I can eat cakes (although to be on the safe side I stopped) and I was able to eat somethings with dairy, but not straight milk, ice cream or cheese, those were major problems. I get bloated and have d, but I never threw up. Thanks, I just wanted to know the differences. I can always avoid it, or eat before. Thanks!

--------------------

#98608 - 08/16/04 08:34 AM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

I hope everything goes great for you!! Remember to hone in on the location of the bathroom.

~nel~

#98609 - 08/16/04 08:37 AM
Sweetd

I always do. Thanks!

--------------------

Re: Lactose pills new
      #98610 - 08/16/04 08:40 AM
belinda

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Sweetd:

I believe the reason IBS people have problems with milk is because milk (even skim milk) contains too much fat and is difficult to digest. Taking lactose pills won't solve your problem if you have IBS. You need to stay away from milk and products containing milk altogether.

Some IBS people can tolerate foods containing small amounts of milk products (such as soy cheese which contains casein), but I can't tolerate anything containing a milk product. I would pay dearly for it if I tried, and I gave up trying a long time ago!

In terms of your social eating question, well, unfortunately, the safest thing to do is to bring your own food. I bring my own sandwiches, which I pack in an insulated lunch container with ice packs. I also bring my own home-baked IBS-safe banana bread and apple bread so I won't be done out of dessert. It's a good idea to bring your own beverages too, so I bring my own unless the host tells me in advance bottled water will be available.

I have long since given up gambling on food at a party or dinner gathering. And, over the years, I have tired of giving special instructions to my friends on what I can and cannot have. It's easiest and safest all around to just bring my own food. That way I can enjoy the party worry free with no ill effects afterwards. (I also get more invitations this way -- since I am a cheap guest!)

As you get more experienced in learning to control your IBS symptoms, you will realize that bringing your own food is by far the wisest thing to do.

Belinda

#98611 - 08/16/04 08:41 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

The difference is that for IBS, there's more to dairy that's a trigger than just the lactose. I think for a lot of people, it's the milk proteins that will trigger... and in those cases, Lactaid or something similar isn't going to do a thing for you. The only way to avoid it, unfortunately, is to not eat dairy, at all, period.

I've been in those kinds of social situations, and no, it isn't fun. I don't have any good advice, really, except that I always ate a little something before I went, just in case, and then kept crackers or something safe in the car in case I was absolutely ravenous when the party was over. There's no way I'd risk an attack by eating something unsafe.

I guess I was always lucky - it always seemed like there was at least one other person at all the weddings and parties I went to who just wouldn't/couldn't eat what was being served (like the time I went to a wedding with a vegetarian reception... but since everything had cheese in it, the lone vegan guest and myself were outta luck!), so at least I had someone to commiserate with. Food allergies and intolerances are so common now that I hardly ever feel like an oddball anymore if I'm not eating.

Anyway, I'm rambling. LOL! I hope that first part kind of explains the difference between lactose intolerance and why dairy should be avoided for IBSers.

#98614 - 08/16/04 08:49 AM
Sweetd

Yes, that did explain it Thanks!

--------------------

#98616 - 08/16/04 08:53 AM
Sweetd

Thanks, for your advice! I will have to start bringing my own.

--------------------

#98639 - 08/16/04 10:45 AM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

Hi,

I am one of the fortunate ones that can eat a little amount of dairy.....as long as I take a lactaid pill first. I carry them in my purse along with Imodium, Phazyme, Tums, Alka Seltzer. Also, I can use Lactaid milk in my oatmeal. I have been able to tolerate a small amount of Hagaan Dzas lowfat frozen vanilla ice cream.

My suggestion would be on a day when you aren't going anywhere important to try a little amount of dairy with a lactaid pill and see if you can tolerate it. Usually if you are going to have a reaction it will be in a few hours of eating it. If you get any symptoms, then that means you need to stay away from dairy altogether.

Good Luck
Barbie

--------------------

#98641 - 08/16/04 10:47 AM
Sweetd

Thanks for your advice!

--------------------

Re:Look to yourself..... new
      #98719 - 08/16/04 03:06 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

for the answer. Chances are, no. You shouldnt' try dairy in a social situation or face the consequences. On the other hand, lactose pills can help at least with the lactose part. Beware of the casein and whey part - which are still triggers. Ultimately, the decision is yours.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#98725 - 08/16/04 03:26 PM
crampgirl

Reged: 02/23/04

When I have to go to a party I eat before I go & put a snack of something I can eat in my purse. No, it is no fun!

Watch out for the fat in dairy - that tends to be a trigger as much as the lactose. -nt- new
      #98932 - 08/17/04 02:38 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1484 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1469

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review