All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Was too thin, now gaining too much???? Yikes!
      #98347 - 08/14/04 07:34 PM
ibsfla

Reged: 06/30/04

I have been faithfully following the diet and doing the Acadia--feeling better but still suffer attacks--but less painful. The problem is--with all this starch in pasta, bread etc...I went from losing too much to just on the border line of gaining too much--any ideas???? I look like I have gained it all in my stomach (bloated) and waist!! YIKES!!!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Was too thin, now gaining too much???? Yikes! new
      #98381 - 08/15/04 05:56 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

web page This is a link explaining that soluble fibre will not make you fat.
The simple answer, of course is to eat less and get some exercise. Don't eat large meals, have several small meals throughout the day.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#98669 - 08/16/04 12:09 PM
ibsfla

thanks for answering--I will read the site you suggest--funny thing is I don't eat big meals--still have a problem if I do...but I think exercise is key--has been so hot here in Florida--hard to get out and even walk the dogs--also I think, that when the "D" subsides a bit..the way I process food changes--slows down--who knows, but I will read the info, and again--thanks much!

#98678 - 08/16/04 12:32 PM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

Ouch. I hear ya on that one. As soon as I got my IBS-D under control, I started gaining weight. I've gained about 40 lbs (yikes!) in the last 5 years, yet I've never felt better. My coordination is better, and I no longer trip over my own feet. Also, I don't feel dizzy like I used to and don't catch colds every 3 mos. like I used to.

I miss my waistline too. It's too bad that I get to feel healthy at the expense of looking good, but it's nice not being sick all the time.

~nel~

#99019 - 08/17/04 09:52 PM
ibsfla

thanks for your reply--I was told that eating all these carbs was no problem--as a nurse--I know that just is not the case unless you are exercising like mad!! Ironically, I still get "D" attacks, --wish I was more like you in that I was over the attacks--I would tolerate more weight if I felt great--good for you!!!

#99048 - 08/18/04 06:43 AM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

Carbs are a lifesaver for me, but I know I will gain weight at the same time I feel better!! I used to have constant D, about 10-20 times a week, every week, since I was 12.

Now that I've slowed down my metabolism to where I have 0-7 D episodes a week, it stands to reason that I would gain some weight as a result. I'm 33 and about 175 pounds, but I can hide it a little at 5'11".

I hope to get to the point where I can eat less and still feel good. But my main focus is regulating my D and the pain/anxiety/stress/depression which goes with it. It's so hard eating just to survive (as opposed to eating for pleasure, or dieting to maintain a figure) but it goes to quality of life.

And I've sacrificed decades of quality of life to this evil IBS and I'm detirmined to get some of it back. Life is full of change, and I've been size 00, and now I'm not! Big deal! Now I can get out of bed!

~nel~

#99156 - 08/18/04 12:27 PM
ibsfla

hi- nice that you are tall--does hide things--but 175 is not a huge overweight thing---go easy on yourself. I WISH I could say that I go only 10-20 times a week- sometimes I can go 10 times in a day!!!! But, things have gotten much better since I started taking the Acacia--I understand the idea if "taking back your life"--you are very young, and have plenty of life to live--so, go for it and enjoy yourself---

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5940 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1117

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review