All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Fennel tea and peppermint tea question
      #97531 - 08/11/04 02:17 PM
Amyhead

Reged: 01/10/04

I am starting a full time job on Monday (first full time job since 2001) and I will be commuting about 40 minutes one way. I've got plenty of issues and fears with this and my IBS. But, I am thinking about my tea and possibly taking a thermos full in the mornings, how much tea and water and how do you go about boiling up the loose teas? Buy several tea balls? Any advice would be appreciated.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Fennel tea and peppermint tea question new
      #97536 - 08/11/04 02:26 PM
Sweetd

Reged: 07/13/04
Loc: NY

I am in the same situation. What I do is I buy the fennel tea bags bring in a whole bunch with me and use instant hot water. Brining your own thermos is probably a better idea. I drink that when I need it and I take the peppermint pills between meals. This helps me. Oh, and eating a lot of rice and soy products. I really helps me as well. But a proper (ibs safe) diet and soluble fiber from what I am noticing and from what I am told works best!

--------------------
Ibs-d and fructose sensitive.

#97567 - 08/11/04 03:08 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

It really depends. For a cup of peppermint tea, I use at least 1 tbsp of crushed peppermint. That's fairly strong. So, brew up a pot of tea and add accordingly. With fennel, I use about 1 tsp (I don't like it as much - tastes yucky!)
Then once it's brewed take it in your thermos. For lunch, carry a mug with you, and microwave some hot water. Buy peppermint tea bags for your lunches.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#97606 - 08/11/04 05:05 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I get Tummy Mint or Eater's Digest tea bags at the grocery store and fill a large thermos (probably 2 cups) with boiling water and add one bag. It steeps all day so by lunch when I drink it it is very strong.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Search the boards for past posts on this... new
      #97652 - 08/11/04 08:26 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

people have had really good suggestions, and lots of different options. One thing - make sure you don't actually boil the loose teas in water - you just want to add them to your cup or thermos, then pour in boiling water and let brew.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#97688 - 08/12/04 05:23 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

I have always been a tea person and have a ton of fancy tea balls and 2 plain ones.. I take a container of the loose tea with me to work, and a tea ball, as well as a mug- fill the ball, set it in the mug (with lid- required by our office) and fill with hot water when I first arrive, then its cool enough and strong just before my first break.. repeat with each additional break/lunch- so I do 3 cups/day at work and one at home before I leave... I also do all my soluble fiber IN my tea... then I do one more later in the evening at home..

I find it is MUCH more economical to buy loose then tea bags- especially fennel- 24 bags for 3.25 at 2.4 oz total, and 65 cents an ounce loose, I get a few weeks out of a 3 oz bag from the health food store...

I don't mind my tea cool, so if I am not going to be around hot water- I have several 1 quart plastic jugs I use to keep water at my desk and at my bedsde and 1 for the car... I can fill one of them with tea I've made in a pot or otehr larger container here at home, and just drink it room temp too.. if its going to be in the car its actually warm and I might leave the tea ball in to let it steep longer as well.

Amie in MI

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 739 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 753

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review