All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
new, and a couple questions
      #9703 - 05/22/03 02:41 PM
batsbabe

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: NYC,NY

hi everybody i'm so glad i found this website....it's the first time i've really looked online for help with IBS because i didn't hold out much hope for it. i was diagnosed with "spastic colon" when i was about 10yrs old or so..i'm 27 and have been dealing with it on and off since. in college i was prescribed Xanax and Zoloft which were HUGE helps...but the last thing i want is a pill addiction or to stay on them for years just so i can function daily. so hence i suffer :P and take a lot of Imodium which isn't a great either. honestly i think i've kept that company's stock up

there's so much info out there now! i had given up on it around high school and docs never helped much. but then it sounds like all of you have been through similar things with doctors. "deal with it" basically.

anyway, i was reading some of the guidelines on the website and i'm a bit confused about not eating roughage like salads on an empty stomach. i try to incorporate 2 salads a day into my diet ... what kind of food should be on the stomach first? bread? chicken?

also i'm big into weightlifting and fitness...would you consider protein powders to be a trigger? for instance my breakfast daily is 8oz water, .5 cup oatmeal, strawberries or berries, and 1 scoop of protein powder. i like to get my extra protein this way. sounds like yoga might be a good idea also

i'm going to the bookstore soon to pick this book up b/c it looks like it'd be a great help. thanks Heather, i hope it proves to be as helpful as everyone here says it is going so long with no results is a big downer.

batsbabe
NYC

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: new, and a couple questions new
      #9704 - 05/22/03 03:00 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - Welcome to the board! Definitely don't eat insoluble fiber (like green salads) on an empty stomach - you want soluble fiber for that. There's info on soluble fiber foods here web page and soluble fiber supplements (which are wonderful) here web page

Protein powders are fine if they're soy - avoid all dairy such as whey, casein, etc.

Ask any questions you have!!

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#9707 - 05/22/03 03:53 PM
batsbabe

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: NYC,NY

ok, question on the whey the protein powders i take are insanely low in lactose....like 97% free...is that the main problem? the lactose?

i understand that it'll take lots of tweaking..diet is an individual thing. but isn't refined bread bad for you? like white bread, french bread, etc. i always read that refined substances aren't very digestible.

and what about ground flax seeds? these are supposed to be big on the fiber and lignans and Omega-3's...and also help in digestion. anyone take these? right now i take a product by Health from the Sun called The Total EFA ... it hasn't produced any ill effects.

anyone have any luck with L-Glutamine? i hear this amino is supposed to work great for IBS type symptoms too.

thanks again

batsbabe
NYC

#9709 - 05/22/03 04:31 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Hi! Welcome to the board.

In dairy, not only is the lactose, but the whey & casein are hard to digest, so it's best to avoid them. Even lactaid products, because although they have no lactose, they still have the whey & casein, which can still cause problems.

I haven't heard aobut the bread being bad for you, only that whole grain breads are healthier. But, they also contain more insolbule fiber, so that's where they can create a problem.

Here's a past post on ground flaxseed.

Hope that helps some!

#9711 - 05/22/03 04:33 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - whey is a dairy protein, lactose is milk sugar. They're two different things, and both can cause digestive upsets. This is one reason to avoid all dairy, period.

Refined bread isn't bad for you - there's nothing in it that isn't also in whole grain breads. The difference is that whole grain breads have the minerals from the wheat bran/germ included. But this also means they have the insoluble fiber from the bran, and insoluble fiber can trigger attacks.

If anything refined breads, rice, etc. are more easily digested. I'd really urge you to look over the general IBS diet guidelines, which will explain all of this in detail. There's info here web page

It's also important to note that you are not excluding whole grains from the IBS diet anymore than you're excluding other insoluble fiber foods like fruits and veggies. You're incorporating them as much as possible - BUT, you're doing so carefully, as these are all potential IBS triggers.

For flax info, do a board search. There have been lots of other posts about this.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1210 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 791

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review